Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Later... With Jools Holland

What's Hot
Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 334
It's now 3 episodes into Series 63, so how's it going for you?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    edited November 2023
    I didn’t even know if was back on. Pretty much sums it up. What was once a must-watch is now fairly irrelevant. 
  • Not watched any of them.  Clashes with MotD.  I've thought about iPlayer, anything worth watching (listening to)?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4925
    I have to say I missed the fact that it was on too.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22876
    If nothing else, it's always enough to start the occasional thread on here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    It's passing me by too ... mind you, the TV choice is utter shit so I don't expect anything good. If I find it on the schedule when I look then I'll check it out but I'm not even aware of it's broadcast time ... is it still a Friday?

• It's pre-recorded and broadcast on Saturday nights (and then iPlayer). It's all a matter of taste. I'm not enjoying this series  much, but do make time to watch it just in case something great comes up. 

For me, too many acts using backing tracks (definitely - extra instruments or voices that are not in the room, inc. extra versions of the lead vocalist!) or even miming (possibly - the lips move in time but we hear strong voices with no tonal changes even when they've moved off-mic, so magic mics that don't exhibit the proximity effect). 

I find my joy in people playing together and getting it right.

The most enjoyable things so far have been Johnny Marr and Mike Skinner being interviewed. Jools is bad at interviewing, but they just spoke anyway and were interesting to listen to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1491
    I hear what you’re saying. But performing and touring costs are so great now that a lot of bands cannot tour or perform with enough musicians to recreate the sound that they want. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    I've not watched it in ages. In the 90s in was often worth a watch, albeit a step down from the music shows that proceeded it. Now, i think it averages about 3 artists a series id bother to watch.  
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited October 2023
    I caught the episode last week with Take That & Skindred.

The latter were entertaining and a nice diversion from the usual trendy stuff they have on, but Take That are trying too hard to sound like Supertramp with their new material and I spent the whole time wanting to punch Mark Owen.

I've no idea what that new image he's trying to pull off is, but he looks like a cross between Worzel Gummidge and an extra from Pirates of the Caribbean.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24285
    Skindred were great on it. They gave it full beans like they were at Download and not in a room surrounded by confused people who get annoyed by moderate volumes.

The other acts that night were very dull in comparison.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I think I've said before that with Later it's better if it's just on and I might catch something that takes my interest whereas if I find it on iPlayer I just FF to the artists I like and at best everything else gets a 10 second try. 
    I'm putting it on whilst cleaning up in the kitchen, see what happens...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    OKish so far Johnny Marr was good value and Skindred a very welcome shake up to what so far has been a very bland series.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • That virtual set burns my eyes. It's completely unwatchable.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    1. I liked Say She She the most. Sort of retro disco/funk all very nicely played. The National are landfill indie, Wreckless Eric was a fun interviewee but the performances a bit too pub singer. There was some skipping, sorry. 

2. Take That are pleasant. I don't know if that's a great recommendation. Last Dinner Party were good. I've had enough Jonny Marr and his feckin book now. 
    Skindred are sort of the acceptable face of modern metal to me, for my tastes they should dip a bit more into their Dancehall influences.Frankie Archer (looping and folk) absolutely lovely! 
    There's such a lot of inane chatter on Later and not enough music. 

3. The Streets. My son likes them so I am obliged to let them play. Perhaps that's too much Later for one day but very little leaping out at me in this episode. Cat Power has a nice voice, she should do John Lewis ads. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I haven't watched it for many years, it's very rare for the show to feature anything that is my top drawer of interest, although people do flag up interesting acts at times that I go back to see. 

I used to like the new year show to see in the new year, until I heard that it was recorded months earlier. Killed it for me, just seemed so false to pretend it was new years eve.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

Take That we possibly the worst live performance I have seen on TV.  Sounded like they were trying to be the Bee Gee's, but they sounded more like the Muppet's after a night out on on booze and crack.

My cat can sing better.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11718
    I caught up on the iPlayer.  The only performance I didn't skip after about about 30 seconds was Skindred, who were really great.

Wreckless Eric though - fuck me.  Why?
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11718

Take That we possibly the worst live performance I have seen on TV.  Sounded like they were trying to be the Bee Gee's, but they sounded more like the Muppet's after a night out on on booze and crack.

My cat can sing better.

Tom And Jerry Is You GIF - Tom And Jerry Is You Or Is Yoy

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    Later used to be essential viewing back in the 90s, but I haven't watched it regularly for years. I do still watch the NYE special, mainly because I never go out and it's still better than whatever dross they're showing on the other channels. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22876
    mo6020 said:
    Later used to be essential viewing back in the 90s 
    Was it?  I must have been in hibernation or something.