Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Later... With Jools Holland

What's Hot

Comments

• Not to mention ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    Litterick said:
    I met the girl from St Etienne once... wanted to talk to her but she was on the phone.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    The best music show in the 90s was whatever culture show had the Screaming Trees on (part of a Seattle thing? Can’t remember). 
    This one?  I've just watched it and it gave me the shivers.

Nope - that’s good but the one I remember is this one, 19 minutes in:

https://youtu.be/BOrd1jNyXwY?si=DWW5HzeUNO8q3tz5
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Made even better by the contrast with the woeful REM effort before it on the show ;)
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    This all sounds a bit "When I were a lad, it was all fields round here".........but we all get older. 

Later still has a place and the occasional artist makes it relevant (see Johnny Marr). The Ally Pally venue looks totally great - I'd love to hear the bands in the room in person.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • SRich said:
    This all sounds a bit "When I were a lad, it was all fields round here".........but we all get older. 

Later still has a place and the occasional artist makes it relevant (see Johnny Marr). The Ally Pally venue looks totally great - I'd love to hear the bands in the room in person.
    I was really lucky a few years ago when they were recording in the old Southern TV studios in Maidstone on Tuesdays. We got  two tickets, for a specific date with no idea (at that time) who would be on. We got Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters, Counting Crows, TuneYards, the TV debut of Years And Years, and a couple of duff acts that I don't remember.

Don't know how they do it at Ally Pally, but there, they did an early set that was recorded (and maybe remixed) for the Friday night broadcast. They then took a break and (at the right time) did the Tuesday night live broadcast. impressive stuff, all live and the sound inside the studio was very good. No retakes - the bands hit their marks every time.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020 said:
    Later used to be essential viewing back in the 90s, but I haven't watched it regularly for years. I do still watch the NYE special, mainly because I never go out and it's still better than whatever dross they're showing on the other channels. 
    For me The White Room and TFi were 2 if the better programmes to catch good music in the 90s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 334
    edited November 2023
    SRich said:

I don't know any young people who watch Later now, but when I was younger I knew loads 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    SRich said:

Relevant to who? Johnny Marr turned 60 this week. I agree he may be relevant to us... but everything else on Later is aimed at the middle-aged anyway.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    Making a music show relevant to young-uns might be a good idea - but it wouldn't be anything like Later.

That said - let's not patronise the new generation.  Thanks to streaming the ones who are into music are often into far bigger a range of it naturally than young people in the past.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Making a music show relevant to young-uns might be a good idea - but it wouldn't be anything like Later.

That said - let's not patronise the new generation.  Thanks to streaming the ones who are into music are often into far bigger a range of it naturally than young people in the past.
    This is a contender for the most sensible comment ever made on tfb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the KEXP shows are excellent - the sound is incredible - they don't really do big names..... but they cover a real spectrum of music from upcoming bands and artists from all over the world. I've found some good new things on there and have had to rethink my impression of other artists based on the quality of their lives performances.....

Discovered this amazing artist/album - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2xW563bb-4

And though I'd already been advised to check out the excellent Hollie Cook (thank you @EricTheWeary) her backing band blew me away on this performance - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klg9UBaXD_c&t=165s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SRich said:

I was really lucky a few years ago when they were recording in the old Southern TV studios in Maidstone on Tuesdays. We got  two tickets, for a specific date with no idea (at that time) who would be on. We got Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters, Counting Crows, TuneYards, the TV debut of Years And Years, and a couple of duff acts that I don't remember.

Don't know how they do it at Ally Pally, but there, they did an early set that was recorded (and maybe remixed) for the Friday night broadcast. They then took a break and (at the right time) did the Tuesday night live broadcast. impressive stuff, all live and the sound inside the studio was very good. No retakes - the bands hit their marks every time.  
    I remember the site of the Maidstone Studios when it was all park.
  • Vintage65 said:
    SRich said:

I don't know any young people who watch Later now, but when I was younger I knew loads 
    That’s because watching TV is antiquated. There’s so many other ways to consume and discover music, even I in mid 40s wouldn’t put later on now. I used to discover a lot from Soccer AM, but that’s now finished as well. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 334
    edited November 2023
    Vintage65 said:
    SRich said:

That’s because watching TV is antiquated. There’s so many other ways to consume and discover music, even I in mid 40s wouldn’t put later on now. I used to discover a lot from Soccer AM, but that’s now finished as well. 
    It's available on iPlayer, along with Glastonbury which got massive viewing figures.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Philly_Q said:
    Mastodon have been on already.
    Oh and Metallica
    With Lou Reed, unfortunately. 

I’ve only seen one of the latest series, the one with Skindred. I liked them. Frankie Archer was good too, quite quirky  
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    edited November 2023
    Litterick said:
    SRich said:

I remember the site of the Maidstone Studios when it was all park.
    Jools Holland link, I can remember Newcastle's Tyne Tees  'The Tube' TV studio & the Egypt Cottage next door that was effectively the green room & rehearsal space.
    All fucking flats now...
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6492
    edited November 2023
    boogieman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Mastodon have been on already.
    Oh and Metallica
    With Lou Reed, unfortunately. 

I’ve only seen one of the latest series, the one with Skindred. I liked them. Frankie Archer was good too, quite quirky  
    Metallica have also been on Later… WITHOUT Lou Reed. Edit: on at least two separate occasions.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    edited November 2023
    Used this week's on iPlayer to help block Diwali fireworks noises for the dog. 

Nothing blew me away. Probably I liked the jazz track the most, can't even remember his name now. The interviews with Suggs (and I'm a bit of a fanboy) and Sawhney were pointless, I don't understand why we just can't have another track by one of the artists there to fill that time. I enjoyed the piece on film. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.