Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Later... With Jools Holland

What's Hot

Comments

• NickLNickL Frets: 153
    That virtual set burns my eyes. It's completely unwatchable.
    It's not a virtual set, it's the old theatre at Alexandra Palace - BBC Television's original home - which has recently been brought back into use after many years of being left to decay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23042
    Ironically I used to find Jools himself a pretty irritating presenter and wished they'd get someone better, but I suspect that only his "national treasure" status and pull with an older demographic has kept the show on the road this long.
    Wow, that's not at all how I see him.  But all opinions are valid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    Philly_Q said:
    Ironically I used to find Jools himself a pretty irritating presenter and wished they'd get someone better, but I suspect that only his "national treasure" status and pull with an older demographic has kept the show on the road this long.
    Wow, that's not at all how I see him.  But all opinions are valid.

I used to find him a bit annoying, but I watched some of his one-to-one post-lockdown but still socially distanced programmes and thought they were quite good.
    I do wish he wouldn't do the "featuring me playing silly trills on the piano" thing, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1363
    I think the whole show's been superceded by Daryl's House - and there's no "playing to track".
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • The best performance I saw on Jools was "One Armed Scissor" by At The Drive-In.  They just did not give a flying fk what the producers instructed them to do.  And you notice as the song goes on the cameramen got further and further back for fear of getting injured =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5446
    edited November 2023
    The National were on the first episode, and I love The National, therefore, that was great.

There's often at least one new "discovery" for me on every episode - some act or artist that is very good but not yet on my radar. The problem is that a few beers into the evening I never have the wherewithal to write down who they are and find their stuff elsewhere, so I suspect I've lost a few possible additions to the rotation because of it. Upon reflection I do realise that I first became aware of Sam Fender via Jools though in an early performance on that that was pretty fire.

In any case, annoying as Jools can be, I'm glad the show exists, this kind of thing is important for music in general even if you don't like most of it.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NickL said:
    That virtual set burns my eyes. It's completely unwatchable.
    It's not a virtual set, it's the old theatre at Alexandra Palace - BBC Television's original home - which has recently been brought back into use after many years of being left to decay.
    I stand corrected, thank you. Maybe I should adjust the settings on my TV.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 369
    The best performance I saw on Jools was "One Armed Scissor" by At The Drive-In.  They just did not give a flying fk what the producers instructed them to do.  And you notice as the song goes on the cameramen got further and further back for fear of getting injured =)
    Yeh man that performance was completely insane. I remember watching it and then going out and buying Relationship of Command the next day. Absolutely iconic. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2302

Seen them all.
    New Ally Pally set is a great location don't get what people don't like about it.
    I mostly start each artist and the then fast forward if it ain't my thing. Each show lasts about 10 minutes for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 336
    edited November 2023
    I like oddballs, so I am naturally drawn to people like Jools. Who remembers his interview with Sting? I'm surprised Gordon never got up and punched him after some of those questions 

• mo6020 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    mo6020 said:
    Later used to be essential viewing back in the 90s 
    Was it?  I must have been in hibernation or something.
    TBF I was in my teens so I may have my rose tinted glasses on... I remember it being decent, along with the White Room (which was better)...
    I was a 90's teen too...... good times - we were lucky.. The White Room was great - I saw some really good stuff on there.... Imagine a time when there were a couple of good live music shows ono tv. 

I think one of the strengths of Jools is seeing something you wouldn't normal see or seeing something impressive you might not expect.....

First saw this on Jools Holland and is now one of my favourite artists - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_YjGcVg7GE

Saw this on Jools Holland - had dismissed what I'd heard on the radio as dispensable R & B but was forced to rethink - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI32nNWvdTU

• mo6020 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    mo6020 said:
    Later used to be essential viewing back in the 90s 
    Was it?  I must have been in hibernation or something.
    TBF I was in my teens so I may have my rose tinted glasses on... I remember it being decent, along with the White Room (which was better)...
    I was a 90's teen too...... good times - we were lucky.. The White Room was great - I saw some really good stuff on there.... Imagine a time when there were a couple of good live music shows ono tv. 

I think one of the strengths of Jools is seeing something you wouldn't normal see or seeing something impressive you might not expect.....

First saw this on Jools Holland and is now one of my favourite artists - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_YjGcVg7GE

Saw this on Jools Holland - had dismissed what I'd heard on the radio as dispensable R & B but was forced to rethink - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI32nNWvdTU

FJ Misty is class, I love Chateau Lobby #4
  • MajorDude said:

FJ Misty is class, I love Chateau Lobby #4
    Yeah -  It was the first single of his I heard..... I got Fear Fun and I love you honeybear off the back of hearing it on Jools Holland. Then got Pure Comedy and Gods Favourite Customer when they came out. All incredible records. I think he's got to be one of the best singer songwriters out there.... haven't got the album he released last year yet though.......

• Every band appearing on Later in the 90s was given the option of a string quartet.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11856
    Litterick said:

Every band appearing on Later in the 90s was given the option of a string quartet.
    Ahhh... 90s indie rock how we love ye.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Its been a buy on show for years, and not cheap. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    In the 90s it was very much a case of remember how much better music TV was before Later started?

• The best music show in the 90s was whatever culture show had the Screaming Trees on (part of a Seattle thing? Can’t remember). 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23042
    The best music show in the 90s was whatever culture show had the Screaming Trees on (part of a Seattle thing? Can’t remember). 
    This one?  I've just watched it and it gave me the shivers.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 336
    edited November 2023
    For some reason I still remember this performance on Later... ...