Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bolan Tone

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
How is the wee Bolan getting this grand guitar tone.........I think he is a wee bit overlooked as a guitarist.....he has his sig tone for starters....

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Wonder if it's a treble booster?
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I didn't know Jaco Pastorius was in T.Rex.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    Not seen that before….loved it . 
    my first guitar hero
    BINGO!
    tae be or not tae be
    copycat.....TBooster.........wah and wot's that middle job?
    tae be or not tae be
  • I know he used to use a Shatterbox regularly, I think that might be it but I'm not an expert. I've got a copy of one, a fuzz with an added boost. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Great tone, great grooves, and a handful of great songs.

Apart from that, he probably wins the 'got the furthest with the least talent as a guitarist' contest.

And despite that is still one of the all-time greats. He captured a mood and a time perfectly for a few years.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11724
    ICBM said:

Apart from that, he probably wins the 'got the furthest with the least talent as a guitarist' contest.

And despite that is still one of the all-time greats. He captured a mood and a time perfectly for a few years.
    Wiz'd.  He was one of those guys who had a burning desire to succeed and be famous - and that's what he achieved.  A few great songs and a particular groove which most definitely caught the zeitgeist of the era.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1338
    Offset said:
    ICBM said:

Wiz'd.  He was one of those guys who had a burning desire to succeed and be famous - and that's what he achieved.  A few great songs and a particular groove which most definitely caught the zeitgeist of the era.
    Not to mention great production - those Visconti strings on Get It On and others... your basic 12 bar boogie (usually A E and D chords) with a fresh twist.

That's a solid state amp head in the youtube vid above?
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • CaseOfAce said:
    H&H! 
    CaseOfAce said:
    H&H! 
    Nowt wrong with H||H!
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    I had one. From memory there were 60 and 100 watt versions. Goodness me, that was a long time ago!
    Whistler said:
    I had one. From memory there were 60 and 100 watt versions. Goodness me, that was a long time ago!
    I had an IC-100 head and then the 2x12 combo.  For their time, they were great.  They needed a decent o/d pedal though 'coz the built-in sustain was fecking diabolical.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I had the VS-100 combo.  It was great at home, but the first gig we had with it, there was a ton of feedback when I pushed the volume up (the other guitarist had a Sound City 120 and the bass player a Marshall 100).  I was lucky that I was running JSG at the time, so I was able to swap it back for the Marshall 50 that I was using before that.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    I feel the general opinion of 'Bolan tone' as revolving around his 'pop hits' period, a bit limiting.
    Have a listen to the earlier transition from folk to electric guitar tunes of Tyrannosaurus Rex in "A Beard of Stars" & then on to the eponymous "T.Rex" album.
    Lots of very good guitar tonez there  ;)

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 647
    Not sure I'd say he lacked talent!

He did like a simple pop song though. 
    Talent or lack of ICBM he undoubtable has what most of us NEVER achieve ....a signature tone
    tae be or not tae be
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Hootsmon said:
    Talent or lack of ICBM he undoubtable has what most of us NEVER achieve ....a signature tone
    Very much - I meant that as a fan, even though it may not read like that. He had ‘something’, even if it wasn’t technical skill as a player. His tone and timing were superb, and made very simplistic parts sound great. A lot of much better players never get that - it’s actually hard to duplicate, something instinctive rather than learned I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein