Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bolan Tone

What's Hot

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2239
    Casual fan here. I always viewed him as  singer songwriter who also played guitar. I loved his voice. His talent for me was the rhythm guitar riffs that drive the songs.. Many are instantly recognisable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Kind of hard for me to hide my Bolan fan-boy tendencies 

I'm not sure though which of his hits had which amp 
    He got involved with Vamp Amplification at some early point as well as using the HH stuff
    Heis often seen with a Rangemaster treble boost and you can see his Copy Cat tape delay on the floor

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 646
    As with a lot of these guys the bulk of his "tone" probably came from sheer volume! 
    Not always easy to achieve, even with the same gear.
    Other than that, any kind of "British" voiced amp, and possibly less distortion than you might imagine, should get you close surely?

Did he run the rangemaster into a solid state amp? 
    Mick ronson used a solid state Marshall didn't he? Maybe there's something to it. 

Can't say I've ever had a tranny amp up at thunderous volumes. 

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    Mick Ronson had a 200w Marshall Major valve amp.  

Never realized that Mark Bolan had a Zemaitis (hiding in the background in Jon's picture).

The cabs look like they have 15" speakers in them, possibly JBL's, as I think they are Fender cabs.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    PhilKing said:

Never realized that Mark Bolan had a Zemaitis (hiding in the background in Jon's picture).

The cabs look like they have 15" speakers in them, possibly JBL's, as I think they are Fender cabs.
    Yep, affectionately known as "The Pig"  ;)
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 646
    PhilKing said:

Ah cheers, don't know why I thought ss. 
    PhilKing said:

Photo of T REX and Marc BOLAN filming Born To Boogie with News
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Dang he was handsome but I think had he lived he would have been just like Maradona in his old days.......when I saw that poster of him way back in chair with denim jacket I just HAD tae have one.....jacket not the chair
    tae be or not tae be
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    PhilKing said:

No, they're not the same thing. Ronson's model was the original Marshall 200 which is known as "the pig", with just one channel (two input jacks) and three controls - labeled treble volume, bass volume, and master volume (even though it isn't in a modern sense). The Major is a later model with a conventional two-channel, four-input, six-knob preamp. Ritchie Blackmore is the most famous Major user, although Martin Barre of Jethro Tull apparently had one too.

This is my old one... after I sold it to someone more famous ;).

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/23239/lot/213/gary-moore-a-marshall-model-1967-major-amplifier-circa-1968/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    PhilKing said:

No, they're not the same thing. Ronson's model was the original Marshall 200 which is known as "the pig", with just one channel (two input jacks) and three controls - labeled treble volume, bass volume, and master volume (even though it isn't in a modern sense). The Major is a later model with a conventional two-channel, four-input, six-knob preamp. Ritchie Blackmore is the most famous Major user, although Martin Barre of Jethro Tull apparently had one too.

This is my old one... after I sold it to someone more famous ;).

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/23239/lot/213/gary-moore-a-marshall-model-1967-major-amplifier-circa-1968/
    Good points, I'm not qualified or experienced enough to agree with or contradict any of that, I'm just a pre-Internet punter, basing my 'knowledge' on the general accumulated consensus, which can occasionally be blurred at the edges of accuracy  ;)
    Like this https://reverb.com/news/a-history-of-marshall-amps-the-early-years
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    There's so much wrong in there it's hard to know where to start!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

^ Exactly  ;)
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001

Some friends of mine using H||H heads without pedals
  • On Sky Arts 9pm tonight: Angelheaded Hipster - the Songs of Marc Bolan & T Rex.  
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    On Sky Arts 9pm tonight: Angelheaded Hipster - the Songs of Marc Bolan & T Rex.  
    Saw that at the cinema a few weeks ago
  • Sorry if someone said so and I missed it, but I suspect a big part of his sound was the Watkins Copicat (visible in the 3rd picture in the post by FelineGuitars above).  I remember one of the music mags posting a comprehensive list of the gear his band used on a gig and it included 5 Copicats - he obviously loved them and used them for all sorts.  As well as tape echo the unit included a pre-amp that could function like an overdrive pedal - I used one for this myself at one time.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11720

Oooh Marc.  Those 'shoes'.  No.

However... Electric Warrior is one of THE coolest album covers EVER.
    Kurtis said:
    As with a lot of these guys the bulk of his "tone" probably came from sheer volume! 

Can't say I've ever had a tranny amp up at thunderous volumes. 

Having owned several H||H amps in the past, I can confidently say 'tone' wasn't one of their key characteristics.  They DID look bloody cool on a dimly-lit stage however :-)
    Offset said:

However... Electric Warrior is one of THE coolest album covers EVER.
    Almost certainly (Barbara Hulanicki) Biba's finest  ;)
    Offset said:

Almost certainly (Barbara Hulanicki) Biba's finest  ;)
    A free pair with every Shawn Mendes Musicmaster.  Allegedly  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom