Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAD - 50 years old but still looks like a teenager... now with Modulus Amps cabinet

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    My new Modulus cab arrived today - I'll post some pics and a fuller review once I've got the speakers loaded and some of the extra old Fender hardware I want to fit to it done, but suffice to say at this point that I would recommend @Modulus_Amps without any hesitation at all - the build quality is extremely impressive, and it looks fantastic. It was also packed to withstand nuclear war Parcel Force :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Now all you need is to find another one in similarly pristine condition so you can do that Rick-O-Sound dual output thang. :-)
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 28
    Now all you need is to find another one in similarly pristine condition so you can do that Rick-O-Sound dual output thang. :-)
    I can do that using both channels, actually... I haven't tried it yet.

As promised - now with added @Modulus_Amps cabinet.

With original Fender hardware fitted - feet, jack cup, and head mounting bolts. (And the mounting bars on the head, which it didn't come with but I had a spare pair of.) Why the bolts are gold-plated I don't know! They came to me like that. Normally they're chrome.

I forgot to take a pic of the inside of the cab, sorry - trust me that it's a thing of beauty, really perfectly made including the two 'doughnuts' to mount the 10s in what is really a 2x12" - although slightly smaller than the original 60s Bassman 2x12"s, which is what I wanted.

How does it sound? Great! I think it having the 10s in what is effectively an oversized box makes it bassier - it is very, perhaps almost too boomy, but just at the limit I think. I may try some acoustic wadding in it - Fender did on the originals. It's also louder than I expected, in fact I think it's probably giggable in a small bar (and obviously can be mic'ed if not). I'm not yet 100% certain I'll keep the 10s, but I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. 12s would make it a bit louder still, and probably tighter since the cab will then effectively be smaller in relation to the speakers, but it will weigh more and I'll have to buy them, which I was trying to avoid .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1131
    That looks the business! When you say you think it's probably giggable in a small bar, I take it you're meaning as a bass amp? It should be plenty loud as a guitar amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Yep that's brilliant, with the close-up from the back you can see that the cab looks exactly the same  =)
    When you say you think it's probably giggable in a small bar, I take it you're meaning as a bass amp? It should be plenty loud as a guitar amp.
    Overpoweringly loud for guitar :). I once did use a blackface Bassman through an old straight Marshall 4x12” at cranked volume in a pretty big club venue, and the soundman let me, on the basis that he didn’t need to put it through the PA...

But no - I have not even plugged a guitar into it yet. I bought it purely as a bass amp - I may be the only person to do so in the 21st century ;). I’ll probably give it a try at some point, but I’m making a bit of a point of not doing - it’s a *Bassman*.

The speakers are Celestion B10N-200s, very definitely for bass. If I decide to go for 12s I’ll get a pair of at least 250W ones so I can use the cab with my little 500W Promethean amp too.

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1131
    edited February 28
    Thought so, just wanted to check. My first "real" bass amp when I was a teenager was a 50W Elgen Bass valve head which I paired with a Sound City 4x12. It was just about loud enough for the community centres we played. Quite a rare amp as it turns out, with burgundy tolex. It never occurred to me to try a guitar through it, and I sold it when I went away to uni.

I've never even seen a photo since of the exact model I had.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

Wow! that is a thing of beauty! Love it and thank you for giving me the chance with the cab. Hopefully one day I will get to hear it in action.