Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAD - 50 years old but still looks like a teenager... now with Modulus Amps cabinet

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72377
edited February 28 in Amps
With apologies to @Schmo for taking so long to commit to buying this , I finally decided I was never going to see a better one - in fact I seriously doubt if there is a better one anywhere - and bought this lovely, near-completely-original '73 Fender Bassman 50. It's even got the original cover, which although a little tatty is more or less intact.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/251358/fs-fender-bassman-50-head-silverface-1973-74-800#latest

I'm happy calling it a '73 since the latest date code anywhere on it is the 48th week. That makes it almost exactly the same age as my Rickenbacker 4001, which was a (silly, but you know how it is!) factor in finally going for it... even though I had tried to convince myself that the last thing I need is an underpowered (for bass) vintage valve amp that's actually heavier than my modern 500W Class D 1x10" combo.

I've been repairing amps since 1986 and I've never seen another one this pristine - even though a similar amp would have only been 13 years old at the time. Remarkably, even though the filter caps are original and conventional wisdom says that at 50 years old they need changing, there's no sign of any problem - the amp doesn't hum or ghost, there's no leakage, and so I'm just going to leave them alone until I have to.

The only non-original parts I can see are the output valves, one preamp valve, one knob, and the back panel screws, and the chrome bezel ring from the pilot light and the cabinet anchors are missing. By a curious coincidence I already happen to have all of those - including a pair of Fender-logo'd 70s Sylvania 6L6s - apart from the chrome bezel, which I should be able to find one of somewhere.

The only serious problem is that I'm now going to need a cabinet - the original would have been a 2x15" the size of a Marshall 4x12", but they're too big and heavy, and a bit soggy-sounding, for me to want one. For now in the house I'm using an old Marshall 2x12" combo cab wired for 4 ohms, but I really need a proper 2x10" or 2x12" bass cab, or just possibly a 4x10" if I can find a light enough one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1413
    HNAD! It's nice when things end up in what's certain to be a good home. Enjoy playing the Ric at underpowered volumes. :)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72377
    GoFish said:

Enjoy playing the Ric at underpowered volumes. :)
    It does of course overdrive spectacularly well, at what seems like not much more than loud home volume... although I have been told that it carries quite well to the far side of the house :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Splendid looking beast ,congratulations
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18783
    ICBM said:
    GoFish said:

It does of course overdrive spectacularly well, at what seems like not much more than loud home volume... although I have been told that it carries quite well to the far side of the house :D.
     I have that problem too, guests in the East Wing extension & sauna have mentioned that it seems to be particularly prone to sound transmission issues.
    Congratulations on what sounds like a definite 'meant to be' purchase :+1: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice one. I had been watching this one, kind of, as it was just up the road from where I live, and as you say, incredibly clean. Definitely a case of want, not need, though. Enjoy!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6069
    Good to see it's gone to a loving home. I was tempted by it too, I love old stuff that looks like new and that's a stunning example. Enjoy!
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    Beautiful amp, congrats mate. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    @ICBM ;

Really nice to meet up with you today Sir & stoked to see the amp going to such a knowledgeable & appreciative new owner.

Look forward to seeing you pairing it with a new matching cab, that will be a cool pic to come...

Enjoy...

• Nice! That is an amazing thing. 
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1134
    Very cool
  • Wow, much the same age as me but in way better condition!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Congratulations,  you have given me some much needed sage advice over the years (no matter how tempted I am, I'll never buy another Trace elliot speed twin).

It looks like a lovely amp  =)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Wow, that looks amazing! 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    Superb Amplifier . . .great choice :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• I'll admit I know very little about Fender amps, but that looks pretty special.

Cab-wise, maybe keep it in Scotland and give Modulus a shout?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Cab-wise, maybe keep it in Scotland and give Modulus a shout?
    I have already wondered about that :). I have a pair of neodymium 10" bass speakers which would probably be quite good with it... I had thought about looking for an old Tremolux cabinet - the heads are the same size, so the Bassman would fit the anchor bolts on one - and replacing the speakers, but of course they're vintage, and thus expensive even if you can find one.

But the Modulus F-style 2x12" looks almost perfect. I've even got a set of the anchor bolts I could fit... @Modulus_Amps - would making the cab the same size but with the baffle cut for two 10s be an option?

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ICBM said:
    GoFish said:

LOL

Awesome score  =)
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174
    Lovely score, it looks in absolutely remarkable nick.

There was a silver panel Twin in a local guitar shop a few months back - I daren't go back to see if he's still got it. Was hard enough to leave it be the first time.
    So I took this to band practice tonight. I normally use a 450W solid-state Ampeg through an Ampeg 4x10" there, and we're not a quiet band... the limit light occasionally comes on when I use fuzz. So I was a bit hesitant to bother, given we can't park at the studio and I would have to carry it from the next (if lucky) street - there's no way a 50W valve amp can be loud enough. Right?

Wrong.

It's absolutely incredible how only 50W can somehow be *that* loud - if anything it seemed to fill the room better than the Ampeg. OK, it's true that it was always slightly overdriven even when I was playing 'clean', but it didn't sound farty, the low-end was deep and solid, and the clarity between notes even when playing double-stops was quite remarkable. With fuzz it just got huge and brassy, and didn't sound overly compressed either, even though it was then fairly heavily overdriven. Not only that, the *tone* was really quite beautiful - and it's got just three knobs and one switch on each channel... no fancy sweepable mids or graphic EQ - just volume, bass, treble and a deep switch. Deep switch on, all controls at 6, and there it is - perfect classic bass tone.

It's utterly brilliant. Anyone who thinks that 'low powered' valve bass amps are out of date in a modern context - and I admit to being one of them before tonight - is wrong.

And I haven't even plugged a guitar into it yet.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Anyone who thinks that 'low powered' valve bass amps are out of date in a modern context - and I admit to being one of them before tonight - is wrong..
    I'm not sure it's just valve either.  I played bass for a couple of years through an old Peavey 80 watt (I believe) solid-state 15" combo - we weren't a quiet band, rarely miced up, and it was well up to the job.  With modern bass amps anything under 300W seems to be considered weedy.