Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Christmas songs that aren't shit...

What's Hot

Comments

• axisus said:
    I like loads of Christmas songs. One of the best for me is Fairytale of New York. For one thing I love the irreverent language which goes against the Xmas grain, but also it is just beautifully heartfelt and touching, which lets face it - most Xmas songs aren't!
    That went down extremely well when my old lot did it. Vocal harmonies help though - 50/50 how well it'd work solo 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    The only Christmas song I've ever sang in public is A Spaceman Came Travelling. Great tune and a nice singalong chorus if required as well.
    I know we’re all different but that to me is absolutely the worst - no, even worse than that - Christmas song ever.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5165
    Although Kate Bush & December will be magic again is my favourite, it’s not actually Christmas until I hear Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses…..

https://youtu.be/ARq6uYSsUq0?si=j00-b5lLe5nwLjhn
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited November 2023
  • vizviz Frets: 10695
    There's a good one by Wham and also one by Mariah Carey that's quite nice.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Last Christmas is a four chord cycle thing, George Michael was a big 2 Tone fan (really, he was) so I think it's best played with a ska rhythm. It's what he would have wanted (and it's potentially a very dreary song just on an acoustic unless you liven it up in some way). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End)
    My Chemical Romance - All I Want For Christmas Is You

Job done.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3008
    Just awaiting for @theatreanchor to come along and find all these undiscovered gems. He's lapping the forum up at the moment.
  • George Michael died Christmas Day 2016 aged 53.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5422
    This is my favourite ever Christmas song - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpK-w6_FpY8

Beyond that, Tom Smith of Editors and Andy Burrows (formerly of Razorlight) made a record together a while ago now called 'Funny Looking Angels' that has some excellent contemporary Christmas originals. These two are the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=644U-jMpDUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNbQcHBX5zc
  • Shrews said:
    Just awaiting for @theatreanchor to come along and find all these undiscovered gems. He's lapping the forum up at the moment.
    :)
  • George Michael died Christmas Day 2016 aged 53.
    Did he donate any particular organs...?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1336
    ESBlonde said:
    Rockin around the Christmas tree - Brenda Lee, a nice slide up to the D7 and that GmMaj7 at the end of the second line is hypnotic.

I had to look that up.. and yes it's a nice little run down on the "Voices singing..." part  ... Gm -> GmMaj7 -> Gmin7 -> Gm6 ...

Xmas song wise - Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody works great... simple chords - and that Bm to Bb to D change never gets old for me - such an unexpected sequence.You just need a singer who can handle the original key for it to work.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Dr_NecessiterDr_Necessiter Frets: 303
    edited November 2023
    Google Dropkick Murphys' "The Season's Upon Us". Here's a link to the video but it won't embed (but it did when I posted), doh:

"I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • greejn said:
    There are 3. 
    Have Yourself a Merry Little Xmas
    Winter Wonderland
    White Christmas
    Would add Let It Snow to that list of 'classical' ones that can work well as solo acoustic numbers. Perhaps I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm, too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3008
    Just going back to the OP and thinking Christmas songs are shit, then I doubt too much time is wanted to perform anything complex. So something piss easy, jazzed up a bit, get the crowd singing along, something that you generally know already and won't take much learning lyrically or musically.

- Jingle Bells sounds ok, jazzed up (Natalie Cole version), White Christmas another. The Ronaldos did a version of 'Only You' in their own style that got everyone singing. They also did a Christmas covers CD

https://ronnor59.wixsite.com/the-ronaldos4/music

• HAL9000 said:
    The only Christmas song I've ever sang in public is A Spaceman Came Travelling. Great tune and a nice singalong chorus if required as well.
    I know we’re all different but that to me is absolutely the worst - no, even worse than that - Christmas song ever.
    That's because you never heard my version. (Unless by some outrageous coincidence you attended the 2020 Birmingham Parkinsons Society online Christmas music event)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • If by "not shit" you mean featuring vikings and robot jesus then absolutely. I suggest you start with

but we have a stack of them:

For some reason we never updated the play list with this one:

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ