Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Christmas songs that aren't shit...

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Brian Setzer's version of Jingle Bells.

Good luck with that....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The answer is River by Joni Mitchell surely?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • If by "not shit" you mean featuring vikings and robot jesus then absolutely. I suggest you start with...
    Awesome commentage: "Best 5/4 section about a snowman..." ;)
  • Or if you're a beast any of the Pasquale Grasso christmas arrangements:

• theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1476
    edited November 2023
    Like many here, I also love a Christmas banger. And I’m afraid the one that does it for me is pretty obscure. Some dude who was in a four piece famous in Germany and a skiffle band. Dunno what happened to him, but hope he’s ok. @shrews may know more. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 227
    I like the Dio version of God rest ye merry gentlemen and twisted sisters 12 days of Christmas. Perhaps not for all tastes though 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    NSFW

• Like many here, I also love a Christmas banger. And I’m afraid the one that does it for me is pretty obscure. Some dude who was in a four piece famous in Germany and a skiffle band. Dunno what happened to him, but hope he’s ok. @shrews may know more. 

This is in the very top summit of my list  you need a fat synth sound and some good ding dongs to cover it though . Absolute cracker & an awesome Christmas in 1979
  • I used to do “lonely this Christmas “ by Mud  but miss out the talking bit in the middle 
      & you can have someone doing the bom bom bom bom bits too
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    I agree with posters who said that a lot of Christmas songs are rubbish.

If I understand the OP's question, he is looking for a Christmas song that is quality.  My suggestion is to learn Silent Night 'properly' as it was played the first night the song was sung.  Simple finger picked chords and sung absolutely straight.  No added anything to the melody.  A real show stopper is to sing the first verse in German as that is where the song originated.  Silent Night has been murdered many times, murdered by singers who could sing it but chose to add their own interpretation which is what I suggest the OP does not do.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• The answer is River by Joni Mitchell surely?

Not really infused with Christmas spirit, though!
  • barnstorm said:
    The answer is River by Joni Mitchell surely?

I didn’t like this at first but it’s grown on me . I’m sure the version I’ve heard was a cover though 
  • barnstorm said:
    The answer is River by Joni Mitchell surely?

I didn’t like this at first but it’s grown on me . I’m sure the version I’ve heard was a cover though 
    It's a great song – just a sad one.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1252
    I like ding dong merrily on high. A joyous affair with an excellent descending vocal line. I like the stoners version..

Big bong, steadily im high.
    With bubbles and weed im singing.
    Big bong take me to the sky.
    Change the water when it gets minging..

Glo, o,o,o,o,o,oooooo,o,o,o,o,o,oooo,o,o,o,o,o,oooo, o,o,o,o,o,oooo,o,o,o,o,o,ooooo rius.
    Marijauna in excess please.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • I always think  “land of make believe” should have been on all the Xmas albums 
      It’s far more Christmassy than lots of others. & hey Mr Christmas by showaddywaddy  was always sadly lacking. I think land of make believe was more Christmassy than  that east 17 & Frankie goes to Hollywood ones 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2982
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Did somebody mention Greg Lake's I Believe in Father Christmas? Superb song.
    Once or twice ;)

On a prog theme, I always thought Yes' 'Wondrous Stories' was Christmassy...but it's not, apparently.
    Once or twice ;)

On a prog theme, I always thought Yes' 'Wondrous Stories' was Christmassy...but it's not, apparently.
    I’d be happy with it as a Xmas song . Released past the middle of September 77 you were getting on for October and autumn  it may have been hanging around the lower end of the charts still at Xmas & im sure if you taped the charts back then it would be on one of your current cassettes.
    it’s a really joyful song  very special . Would be a great Xmas song . Better than others 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I find that greg Lake one particularly cringey to listen to whereas i can ignore most xmas music, just goes to show the variety of taste I suppose
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom