Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your best/favourite/most admired player?

What's Hot

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Robert Belfour
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    Tough to pick just one...

Martin Simpson
    Kelly Joe Phelps
    Paul Simon
  • I love Ben Chasny AKA Six Organs of Admittance. School of the Flower or Asleep on the Floodplain are good starting points but it's all great stuff. If I had to describe his style I'd say..... Bert Jansch after a stay at a Buddhist retreat in California. It's that good ;)
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Sadly now passed but Daryl Hall had a long term musician called T bone (Tom) Wolk in his band, Whose lead and rhythm acoustic playing I find inspirational. 
  • Duck Baker and Eric Skye.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited November 2023
    as a guitar player........... I dunno,  Im not keen on slappy tappy playing  or those "celtic" alternate tuning types,  so probably Tommy E when he isnt going too mad   -  I do like Martin Tallstroms acoustic arrangements of "other songs" 

as an acoustic performer ?  Leon Redbone 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1104
    bertie said:
    as a guitar player........... I dunno,  Im not keen on slappy tappy playing 
    I agree. There's nothing that makes me close the YouTube browser quicker than someone hitting their guitar. It's an immediate turn off for me no matter how much I've been enjoying the playing up to that point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
    I agree with @Winny_Pooh, it's got to be Django. Guy basically created an entire musical genre.
  • vizviz Frets: 10695
    Gareth Pearson
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 293
    I’ve always been more impressed by the ability to write a good song than the ability to play the instrument. I could watch Pete Doherty play for hours but would get bored of John Gomm in no time. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7867
    edited November 2023
    Jim Cregan
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    for me the real magic of the acoustic is the singer songwriter thing, so that's what I'm drawn to. Players like Reg Meuross, Martin Simpson etc.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    Rev Gary Davis.
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    Alex De Grassi - The Water Garden is a masterpiece

https://youtu.be/Ss79ysvOPh8?si=hpyvGuGJo-f8o2g9 

Pierre Bensusan - saw him live, must be close to 10 years ago now and he had the venue in the palm of his hand. 

• Richard Thompson for both best acoustic and electric player every time. Simply because he treads his own path and melds so many styles seamlessly within his playing whilst still knowing how to wring notes from the neck rather than becoming so fluid it lack soul. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited November 2023
    I've a very limited palette for acoustic sounds so my favourites are not very varied or obscure or whatever.  I've never really found anybody I like more than Paul Simon and Bert Jansch to be honest, to listen to or to play.

Honourable mention to Laura Marling and Eva Cassidy though, I'd probably play more of their stuff if it was more in my vocal range (or in Marling's case, if it were more in standard tuning as my fairly rubbish acoustic doesn't like being retuned very much)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • There are so many brilliant guitarists,some famous,some not so. It basically comes down to what the listeners like and the 'flavour' or not applied to it. Some players are brilliant at both writing and performing while others are brilliant impressionists.
  • PC008PC008 Frets: 8
    I've a very limited palette for acoustic sounds so my favourites are not very varied or obscure or whatever.  I've never really found anybody I like more than Paul Simon and Bert Jansch to be honest, to listen to or to play.

Honourable mention to Laura Marling and Eva Cassidy though, I'd probably play more of their stuff if it was more in my vocal range (or in Marling's case, if it were more in standard tuning as my fairly rubbish acoustic doesn't like being retuned very much)
    +1 for Laura Marling and Billie Marten too - great songwriters. 
  • Brad said:
    Alex De Grassi - The Water Garden is a masterpiece

https://youtu.be/Ss79ysvOPh8?si=hpyvGuGJo-f8o2g9 

Pierre Bensusan - saw him live, must be close to 10 years ago now and he had the venue in the palm of his hand. 

Nice choices @Brad ;

I don't see any mention of Michael Hedges on this thread yet!
  • Billy Strings & Molly Turtle have some good stuff out right now
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom