Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Greatest guitar riffs, Sky Arts

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7222
    Philly_Q said:
    Cols said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I didn't know what time it was on and missed it.  Hopefully there'll be a repeat.
    It’s available in Sky On Demand (freaked out slightly on seeing this post, as I’d lazily not set it to record).
    Dumb question, but presumably you need to be a Sky subscriber for that?  I only have access to Sky Arts because it's on Freeview.
    Aw, crap.  Yes, I’m pretty sure you do.

Now I feel bad for wallowing in the luxury of my Sky subscription.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23480
    Cols said:
    Don't feel bad, it's your hard-earned. :)  
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11399
    Just watched the first one.Poor. Playing the "Paranoid" riff 25 times doesn't exactly do much to explain what a riff is.

And whoever was in charge of the sound should have their hearing checked, almost every guitar sounded bloody awful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3340
    I must admit, they did try to squeeze a lot out of 'Paranoid' and I found it a bit boring.

On the basis of this, they could probably get all the content of the 3 guitarists in one episode if edited well and made more interesting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14685
    Just to piss everybody off, Sky Arts has been moved to Freeview CH036. CH011 is now Sky Mix. Its content is entirely different.

To see episode 2 this evening, it is necessary to retune your television AND edit your video recorder Series Link settings.  :s
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • The Summers one is on at 9 tonight (Saturday).

Yes, I apparently don't have anything better to do on a Saturday night. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Just to piss everybody off, Sky Arts has been moved to Freeview CH036. CH011 is now Sky Mix. Its content is entirely different.

To see episode 2 this evening, it is necessary to retune your television AND edit your video recorder Series Link settings.  :s
    They did this quite a while ago, it's not been timed just to mess up Great Riffs! 

• The Summers one is on at 9 tonight (Saturday).

It was okay but not exactly essential viewing. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12468
    I watched some of the Andy Summers one. It’s a different format to what I was expecting, I thought it’d be a countdown style thing rather than AS talking about his time in The Police with a few assorted influential riffs thrown in. It wasn’t bad but not exactly riveting. Good to see a few jazz guitarists in the mix though. 
  • boogieman said:
    I watched some of the Andy Summers one. It’s a different format to what I was expecting, I thought it’d be a countdown style thing rather than AS talking about his time in The Police with a few assorted influential riffs thrown in. It wasn’t bad but not exactly riveting. Good to see a few jazz guitarists in the mix though. 
    Quite a lot of conversations about riffs but very few examples that fitted. An hour of Kirk Douglas actually talking about and playing riffs might have been more instructive. 
    As someone said about the Iommi one some surprisingly bad sound recording at times. 
  • Loudwire have a series of 10 min or so YouTube videos of guitarist playing their favourite riffs. Quality is mostly good although as it's clearly done remotely there are a few clangers like the Bill Keliher one but it sounds like a much better format than this sky arts program and as a plus features some guitarists that are under 90.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Slight aside: Hank didn't write or play in the original recording of Move It although the show heavily suggests that he did. It's a fairly nerdy show so they need to get the nerdy bits right. 
  • It's quite impressive that, two episodes in, no one's mentioned "that" riff...

• Philly_Q said:
    Cols said:
    Don't feel bad, it's your hard-earned. :)  
    You could take out a month of Now TV for £9-99.  I would would happily pay £10 to watch three hours of guitars in the cinema

I have only watched the Iommi episode and found it very interesting.  The 'journey' from the factory press accident to sitting with Carlos Acosta is remarkable. 
    boogieman said:
    Quite a lot of conversations about riffs but very few examples that fitted. An hour of Kirk Douglas actually talking about and playing riffs might have been more instructive. 
    An hour of him talking about The Vikings and Spartacus would have been more interesting.
    But I'm guessing "Captain" Kirk Douglas was featured?
  • Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    An hour of him talking about The Vikings and Spartacus would have been more interesting.
    IIRC they dropped the Captain for the purposes of the programme. But he's played with a huge list of artists and seemed to be the more coherent of the various talking heads. 
    edited November 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    IIRC they dropped the Captain for the purposes of the programme. But he's played with a huge list of artists and seemed to be the more coherent of the various talking heads. 
    I've always found it amusing that someone with exactly the same name as a very famous person has a nickname based on a fictional character with half the same name.  I remember him for that incident where Prince borrowed Kirk's Epiphone for a TV performance, threw it up in the air and broke the headstock.  Kirk was very gracious about it but it's always made me regard Prince as a selfish little shit.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    I've always found it amusing that someone with exactly the same name as a very famous person has a nickname based on a fictional character with half the same name.  I remember him for that incident where Prince borrowed Kirk's Epiphone for a TV performance, threw it up in the air and broke the headstock.  Kirk was very gracious about it but it's always made me regard Prince as a selfish little shit.
    I had read about that rather than remembering seeing it but apparently Prince paid him a considerable sum as compensation.
    [ For anyone reading this and thinking oh Epiphone it was vintage and Kirk's number 1 guitar at the time] 

• I got kind of distracted watching this, as my mind kept wandering back to the "wigs" thread on here recently.
  • Caught the second half of the Nancy Wilson one. Same format and some of the same talking heads. She's more coherent than Andy Summers and likes a bit of Grunge I discovered.