Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Greatest guitar riffs, Sky Arts

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23268
    For anyone who forgot to watch (e.g. me) all three episodes are repeated next Saturday, 2 December, starting at 9pm. 
    I'll try to remember this time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    For anyone who forgot to watch (e.g. me) all three episodes are repeated next Saturday, 2 December, starting at 9pm. 
    I'll try to remember this time.
    They are all on catch up, with no adverts. I wouldnt watch them again though. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12104
    Sorry @lustycourtier - where can you get them on catchup if you don't subscribe to Sky (which I don't)?
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3353
    edited November 2023
    Offset said:
    Sorry @lustycourtier - where can you get them on catchup if you don't subscribe to Sky (which I don't)?
    oh no clue sorry. It is a free channel, but I dont think freeview etc have catch up features? Seriously though, Its nothing youve not seen before, unless watching Brian May and tony iommi play out of tune over each other for for an eternity is your thing. 
    Offset said:
    oh no clue sorry. It is a free channel, but I dont think freeview etc have catch up features? Seriously though, Its nothing youve not seen before, unless watching Brian May and tony iommi play out of tune over each other for for an eternity is your thing. 
    No, there's no Freeview catchup service.  As mentioned on the previous page we could get a short-term Now TV sub if we were really keen.

Brian May and Tony Iommi playing out of tune over each other for for an eternity?  Sounds better than I expected.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1060
    I watched the first one on catch up last night.

Not as good as I wanted it to be, but getting close ups on Brian Mays and Iommis guitars were a positive.

With regards to riffs I found it all a bit dull to be honest.

Interesting to see how Iommi adapted to playing with his missing finger ends, so used his pinky more, so had to really adapt.

So outside of the riffs it was okay.

They are defo on catch up though so I will watch the other two 
  • And they didn't mention "that riff".

Not once.

• I watched the first one tonight, I didn't really rate it. It didn't seem to have any cohesive narrative, and I couldn't really see what it was trying to say. Even the talking head bits seemed to just go off at tangents, and if someone did say something interesting it wasn't developed in any way. 
    So I finally watched all three episodes this evening. 

Enjoyed the Iommi one the most, I guess because it aligns the most with my own musical taste.  He's a good chap and the scenes with Brian May were quite fun (despite the aforementioned out of tune jamming).  Dave Davies quite entertaining too.

The Andy Summers show was OK, he's slightly sardonic and makes a good presenter.  I can't say I took a shine to George Benson.

Nancy Wilson's a bit hippy-dippy and it seemed like they struggled to stretch the material to fill an hour (even with five minutes of a gurning, pub-singing Richie Sambora).  And only really Mike McCready as a celeb Heart fan to talk about their music.  It felt like they had to talk about other players much more than in the first two shows.

As expected, largely the same talking heads in each episode.  Captain Kirk Douglas probably the most articulate of them.  Overall, as disjointed as it sounded on paper, but worth a watch.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    edited December 2023
    Caught most of the Iommi one  now as well. Better bit of Tom Morello who seemed to have no purpose in the other shows. Some nice introductory stuff about Tony and Sabbath, although if you have enough interest in the subject to watch this show maybe you know this stuff already. The jams with Brian May weren't long but weren't great, I felt included because they had them rather than worthy of including. The bit with Dave Davies vandalizing an amp was quite funny.

Some level of access to all these guitarists there could have been something better. But it's watchable. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 749
    And they didn't mention "that riff".

Not once.

What riff is that then? 
  • What did Kim Thayil have to say on the third episode? 
  • @MagicPigDetective Kim is on Pete Thorn's YouTube channel on 10th December I noticed. I presume a zoom type interview.
    I can't remember him on the Nancy Wilson one, maybe he was but not all the talking heads featured on each one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Kim Thayil was indeed on the Nancy Wilson programme.  He said some nice stuff about Heart (being from Seattle and all), waffled on about one of their riffs (Barracuda probably) but said he didn't know how to play it.  I got the impression Mike McCready is more of an actual fan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @MagicPigDetective Kim is on Pete Thorn's YouTube channel on 10th December I noticed. I presume a zoom type interview.
    I can't remember him on the Nancy Wilson one, maybe he was but not all the talking heads featured on each one. 
    Thanks for the tip off, I shall be watching that. 
  • If anyone missed the Tony Iommi one it’s on YouTube here:
    https://youtu.be/OHfZrCpL7-Y?si=YxKQarfZx1BslFlq
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3047
    edited December 2023
    If anyone missed the Tony Iommi one it’s on YouTube here:
    https://youtu.be/OHfZrCpL7-Y?si=YxKQarfZx1BslFlq
    Thanks.

Wasn't expecting much from the comments made here, but I really enjoyed that, good stuff. Yeah, nothing new for us guitar obsessives, but still a good watch. 

Hopefully the other two episodes will appear on youtube. 
  • Kurtis said:

Not once.

What riff is that then? 

Thought this was a guitar forum...
    Kurtis said:

Not once.

What riff is that then? 

If it's the one I'm thinking of, they didn't mention it but I'm pretty sure it was heard in the first episode.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Kurtis said:

Not once.

What riff is that then? 

If it's the one I'm thinking of, they didn't mention it but I'm pretty sure it was heard in the first episode.
    T'was.