Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Greatest guitar riffs, Sky Arts

What's Hot
A new three part series to be broadcast 24/25/26 November.
Sky Arts is a Freeview channel, so not on subscription.
1. With Tony Iommi
2. Andy Summers
3. Nancy Wilson
I'll be setting my recorder in advance because I hate sitting through adverts.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11952
    A new three part series to be broadcast 24/25/26 November.
    Sky Arts is a Freeview channel, so not on subscription.
    1. With Tony Iommi
    2. Andy Summers
    3. Nancy Wilson
    I'll be setting my recorder in advance because I hate sitting through adverts.
    Would that be Andy Summers, the 250th best-ever guitarist? (Source: Rolling Stone)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23047
    It's a very odd line-up.  So presumably they're selecting their favourite riffs by other artists, with maybe one or two of their own chucked in?  Or maybe the title's totally misleading and it's not about riffs at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 673
    edited November 2023

From sky arts website

Episode one

Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi pulls back the curtain on the creation of Sabbath’s classic riffs and the creation of heavy metal, delving into tracks including Paranoid, War Pigs and Iron Man. He’s also joined by Queen’s Brian May for an exclusive jam session.  

Episode Two  

Legendary guitarist Andy Summers reflects on his favourite riffs of all time and tells the stories of the riffs that brought fame and fortune to The Police, including the opening bars of Grammy Award-winning hit Every Breath You Take. Andy also pays a visit to one of the best jazz guitar players of all time, George Benson 

Episode Three

Heart’s Nancy Wilson takes us on a very personal journey through the music and the riffs that influenced her, tracing a through-line from the music of Heart into the grunge scene of the 1990s. She’s joined by Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready and Soundgarden’s Kim Thayil.

The iconic music trio will be joined by an array of guitar stars, including jazz guitarist George Benson, Dave Keuning (The Killers), Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi), Hank Marvin (The Shadows) and Orianthi (Michael Jackson/Alice Cooper). Together, they will cover riffs from the likes of Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Rage Against The Machine and more

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    Does seem a slightly strange choice of guests. I’m guessing it’s different people to cover different genres: maybe Iommi for metal, Summers for rock and Wilson for pop? But who knows? Iommi and Summers actually have a common interest in jazz guitar too, so it’ll be interesting to see if any jazz actually comes up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Was it Channel 4 who did that Greatest Guitar Riffs show without apparently understanding what a guitar riff actually is? But these are interesting guitarists from an old bloke point of view so I will see if I can catch it, cheers. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Ok, it sounds fairly interesting, with a slightly odd array of guests based on who was available rather than who was the obvious choice... although I know Tony and Sir Bri are great mates, and Nancy Wilson has worked with some of those slightly younger Seattle guys.

Presumably Richie and Orianthi will not be appearing together...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds great, all 3, especially Nancy with McCready and Thayil 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3001
    Andy Summers has Canterbury history, he was in Strontium 90 with Mike Howlett which gives him a direct connection to the Om Riff. Wonder if it will make his list? As I don't have access to that there 'television' thing, one of you lot will have to tell me.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Reminder bump, 1st episode tonight.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited November 2023
    cant say (Tony aside) thats exactly great list of classic riff big hitters.......................bit like one of those Channel 5 programs where they get a load of C-list Gen Zers  to talk about how good 70s TV ads were...................

kind to do the heads up - but not for me thanks, I think there's some Jim Reeves on BBC3..................................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Wish I could get that here in the States. I love that kind of history behind the riffs / songs / influences type of stuff.
  • thought it was quit good as these things go.
  • bertie said:
    cant say (Tony aside) thats exactly great list of classic riff big hitters.......................bit like one of those Channel 5 programs where they get a load of C-list Gen Zers  to talk about how good 70s TV ads were...
    I haven't seen the show but it sounds like an impressive list of names involved over the 3 episodes. Iommi, Brian May, Andy Summers, George Benson, Nancy Wilson, Hank Marvin, Mike McCready... Hardly C-list IMO.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited November 2023
    bertie said:
    cant say (Tony aside) thats exactly great list of classic riff big hitters.......................bit like one of those Channel 5 programs where they get a load of C-list Gen Zers  to talk about how good 70s TV ads were...
    I haven't seen the show but it sounds like an impressive list of names involved over the 3 episodes. Iommi, Brian May, Andy Summers, George Benson, Nancy Wilson, Hank Marvin, Mike McCready... Hardly C-list IMO.

that's not what I was saying,   I never said they were C-listers (just dont recognise some of the names) -  I know what I meant,  you didnt.  and that's a wrong assumption on your part  

Its my ball, and Im going home
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14554
    Seems like a rip-off of It Might Get Loud in the sense that two or three guitarists whom you might not consider similar meet up and compare notes.

Perhaps, the series requires a better title?

It should be obvious to anyone why Iommi looms large in riff-based guitar music. Summers, whilst a superb guitarist, is probably better known for his interpretation of the compositions of somebody named Gordon than as an originator of riffs.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I didn't know what time it was on and missed it.  Hopefully there'll be a repeat.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    Philly_Q said:
    I didn't know what time it was on and missed it.  Hopefully there'll be a repeat.
    I missed it too. Sky Arts do tend to repeat stuff a fair bit, so no doubt it’ll be around. Although of course they’ll have to squeeze it in between all the Andre Rieu concerts.  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7089
    Philly_Q said:
    It’s available in Sky On Demand (freaked out slightly on seeing this post, as I’d lazily not set it to record).
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3041
    edited November 2023
    I'm always interested to see how many of the people featured in these lists are in them more than once, especially if they're in the top 10 - like do they have a second riff rated in the top 10 as well.  The lists themselves don't really interest me, or who's on them, or do I agree with the list, did my favourite make the grade and so forth.

Besides everybody here already knows that Lil'Wayne, will get the top spot.
    Cols said:
    Philly_Q said:
    It’s available in Sky On Demand (freaked out slightly on seeing this post, as I’d lazily not set it to record).
    Dumb question, but presumably you need to be a Sky subscriber for that?  I only have access to Sky Arts because it's on Freeview.