Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: Line6 Catalyst 100 for £150? YES PLEASE!

What's Hot

Comments

• The 60 is still there at £128 although they have an extra 10% off the price for Black Friday, which takes it down to £115 and some change. It’s pre-order now though.

I'm unable to load the code on the Catalyst 60. Price is £128.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The 60 is still there at £128 although they have an extra 10% off the price for Black Friday, which takes it down to £115 and some change. It’s pre-order now though.

It seems they have taken it off the Black Friday sale promotion. I tried it this morning and the code BF10 worked when I had the 60 in my basket. Still £128 is still a cracking deal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just spotted (and bought) the 100 for £149 with the code. Bargain. Can it possibly do what my ToneMaster DR does for a fraction of the price??
  • Nice one folks. I came here to post about prices on Thomann.de, seem PMT have pipped them
  • MaakMaak Frets: 81
    Parcelforce said they attempted to deliver the package on Saturday.  Total lies, I was at home the whole day waiting.  :'(
  • lewisandersonlewisanderson Frets: 63
    edited November 2023
    The 60 is still there at £128 although they have an extra 10% off the price for Black Friday, which takes it down to £115 and some change. It’s pre-order now though.

It seems they have taken it off the Black Friday sale promotion. I tried it this morning and the code BF10 worked when I had the 60 in my basket. Still £128 is still a cracking deal.
    Back to £115 on PMT now. Guitar Guitar have the amp with the footswitch for £129. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine arrived today. Underwhelmed on the tones thus far BUT have just tried my POD Go into the effects return and it sounds HUGE so I think that’s likely how I’ll use it.

For the price, very happy!
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2169
    Not sure when mine is going to be delivered. **shrug**

Back to £115 on PMT now. Guitar Guitar have the amp with the footswitch for £129. 
    The Guitar Guitar deals look to be potentially better deals in theory, as they include the footswitch (and a cover with the 100w version) for not much more. That said i didn't need the footswitch as long as I can get my HX Effects to work correctly
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2169
    Mine arrived today. Sounds totally decent. Really decent, actually. Pretty impressed. 
  • New amp release from Line 6 soon....... Maybe and HX amp??
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah that might well explain it - good job I like the amp and don't need to sell it on then :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • MaakMaak Frets: 81
    ah dammit!  mine was £185 with footswitch and no cover from pmt
  • fusionman said:
    New amp release from Line 6 soon....... Maybe and HX amp??
    Have you got a source for this, or just a guess?

I just got mine, a bit of messing got it sounding very decent. It's not as good as a good tube amp, but it's as good as the average ones I think if you take some time with it. 

Chime was surprisingly my favourite, crunch and dynamic both need some dialling in and not going mad with the gain. 

Next steps - can I make it sound as good as my ToneMaster DR?

I've also got a very decent speaker knocking around (warehouse ET65) that I might try with it. It's vanilla but very good, might be a good match. Stock speaker doesn't sound bad but lacks some definition in the top end. Might improve as it breaks in so not written off by any means!)
  • Post lunch-break update. 

Change of speaker made a huge impact, sings with the ET65 and all the detail in the top end and definition in the low end I thought was missing is (largely) there. 

Now getting into the boosted modes of both Clean and Dynamic - like them a lot. Reminding me a bit of my Mesa Express. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 104
    edited December 2023
    How are you liking the Catalyst compared to your TM DR? I played the Fender on Friday and really liked it, but I’m having a hard time justifying the near-£1k price tag. 

I’m looking for a set it and forget it SS amp, and while the TM DR cleans are good, I have to assume I could get a very good approximation from a Catalyst or Katana Artist for much cheaper.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but it would be good to hear from someone who has both.
    Trading feedback available here
  • Honestly, Catalyst is much more like a 'traditional' amp to me - yes there's multiple sounds, but it's far closer to the traditional amp experience and that's certainly how I use it.  I'm still MUCH preferring the sound my Pod Go into the Effects Return (Power Amp In) on the Catalyst but I'd be happy enough to gig the built in tones too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 757
    edited December 2023
    HT986M2 said:
    How are you liking the Catalyst compared to your TM DR? I played the Fender on Friday and really liked it, but I’m having a hard time justifying the near-£1k price tag. 

I’m looking for a set it and forget it SS amp, and while the TM DR cleans are good, I have to assume I could get a very good approximation from a Catalyst or Katana Artist for much cheaper.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but it would be good to hear from someone who has both.
    Not had more than 30 mins to compare but my general feeling so far is that the TMDR is really very specifically voiced, and you can't do a whole lot to change it - for better or worse. So when trying to do that specific blackface-style edgy clean, it does it better than the Catalyst. BUT the Catalyst is way more flexible and can get well into the same general sounds using either the Clean, Boutique or Chime models. But then it will also do a good impression of a JTM45 on Crunch, and even a 2203 if you use that voice's boost. 

Did notice that the TMDR had a bolder/more focused bass response as standard, while this needed to be dialled in (to the extent that you could) on the Catalyst.

Having gigged the TMDR for a year or so, I can say it's the ultimate 'set and forget' amp, more so than the valve version. With a similar valve amp I'd be compensating for wherever I could put the volume to on it for any given room. With the ToneMaster I just reach behind and knock the attenuator up or down a notch. If I'm using my HX Effects I go into the NORMAL channel too. 3 controls and an attenuator. Start at 5/5/3 and tweak from there. 

Might well sell my TMDR depending on how I get on if you're interested let me know...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Bit more time tonight (do I need a NGAD post??)

Shockingly, the CRUNCH mode, with gain around 5, treble at 4 and presence at 0 is actually closest to the TMDR in tone and response. Very close, in fact. Shockingly so. Something specific going on with the midrange with the Fender though, and it's got a sort of smoother decay but much of that difference might well be the speaker. CLEAN with boost captures some of the vibe too. TMDR's reverb is off the chart good in comparison though - a shame the Catalyst misses out on the Hot Springs Helix model (but a relief I have a HXFX to access it anyway!!).

What the above posts have lead me to however, is the realisation of just how flexible the Catalyst is. That it can get 95% of the way there to an amp that's normally twice the price and only does one thing, is mad.

And I've come across some other great tones too - a Vox-y (NON topboost) light drive with a tight but full low end a la PJ Harvey. A boosted crunch tone that was so familiar I immediately looked up (and played along with) 'A Good Horse' by the Cardigans (an overdriven blonde bassman, IRL).

Something weird going on with the tap button and delay time though. 

Not decided what I'll do with the TMDR yet but no rush. For £150, the Catalyst is going absolutely nowhere. How are others getting on??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom