Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: Line6 Catalyst 100 for £150? YES PLEASE!

What's Hot

Comments

• HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 104
    I appreciate the information.  So would it be safe to assume that unless you are after that specific Fender tone, you can get almost as good a clean/break-up tone from the Catalyst?

While I liked the TM tones, they didn't blow my mind.  So because of that, and the fact it's somewhat of a one-trick pony (albeit it a good one), I'm having a real hard time justifying that asking price for an SS amp.
    Trading feedback available here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned previously, but the Catalyst 200 (2x12) is £249 at GuitarGuitar and includes the amp cover and foot-switch.  While it is the same price at PMT, they don't include the cover or foot-switch.
  • Sounds like prices a lot creeping upward - was sure the 2x12 was £199 at PMT last week?

Would say that if you're after a good clean tone, not specifically a blackface-style Fender tone, the Catalyst will more than do. It's got a bit less compression/more open tone and is much more 'idealised' rather than with built in limitations like the TMDR. 

Caveat that I've not played t really loud, but I'm pretty confident it won't go to pot at volume. 

Having been someone who has gigged lots of different valve amps before these two came along, I don't fully get what's going on with those who rate modelling stuff as somehow 'lesser'. I've found gigging the TMDR to be the best live experience I've ever had and soundmen and other guitarists have been very complimentary about the tone and how authentic it is (regardless of whether they knew it was digital or not - one guy who borrowed it for their set was certain I must have been mistaken and it was actually a 'real' one). 

My opinion, worth less than nothing, is that it doesn't sound like a valve amp played at home levels - it's modelled around a cooking amp. So what some perceive as 'harshness' or similar is because they're used to amps at 0.5 on the volume dial with no tube distortion at all. At a gig, stuff like this is way easier to control and a lot more flexible. Nobody in the audience cares. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2023
    I went with the Catalyst 200 in the end.  I thought I may as well try the cheaper option first to see if it gets me close before paying Tonemaster prices.

I've had a couple of hours with it and I'm really pleasantly surprised.  I'm a fan of those settings you mentioned previously combined with riding the guitar volume pot.  It gets very close to the DR TM sound - at least from what I can recall.  The reverb on the DR TM is fantastic though, and it's really the only area the Catalyst falls short

The only channel I'm not a fan of is the high gain.  Too fizzy for my liking.  But for clean → mid-gain sounds the amp is outrageously good for the asking price.  I immediately prefer it over the Katana Artist I had previously.  The Catalyst is more mellow in it's overall sound.

EDIT:  After another hour or so with it, I'm well impressed for £249.  On the 'dynamic' channel with the gain around 7, and a little bit of boost, then - at house volumes - it's pretty on-par with my Orange Rocker Terror head & 1x12 PPC112 sitting next to it.  Weirdly, it's actually more dynamic than the Orange when working the volume knob on the guitar.  The Boutique and Chime channels can get nice clean and edge of breakup tones.  I've managed to tame the Hi-Gain fizz a little, and it's usable.  Not its strong point though.  With the Orange comparison in mind, I think with a DR TM in the room you could get it mighty close with a Strymon Flint.
  • The Dynamic channel is the star of the show for me - there's a wonderful response to it and backing off the volume control really tightens it up.

Overall it's the amp bargain of the year - although just because I'm a compulsive 'what if....' kinda guy I am curious to see what a more hefty speaker would do to the tones.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Could you gig the 100?
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2169
    DiscoStu said:
    Could you gig the 100?
    I might try to at the weekend...
  • DiscoStu said:
    Could you gig the 100?
    I gigged the 60 for over a year without issue. That was in a 1 guitar band playing 50s Rock n Roll so not exactly super heavy, but never came close to having to push the Master Vol.

I imagine the 100 would be fine for most situations. Plus the DI Out is pretty decent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2023
    I'm looking for something that's easier to carry than my Blackstar HT Stage 60, and the 100 is half the weight...
    Only two channels though where I have three at the moment.
  • Yes i think i was mostly using the dynamic model yesterday (was a little hard to tell as the amp is under the desk with top mounted controls, and the light seems to shine outside of each of the models' names on the knob, but there we go).

I was trying out my new classic vibe thinline tele and got several different usable sounds on the Dynamic one just by changing pickup switch and volume knob. On my more usually used Mustang the boutiquey one sounded more suited, but it's nice to know that there are few options on tap rather than needing a whole different amp for a different guitar/pickup etc
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • DiscoStu said:
    I'm looking for something that's easier to carry than my Blackstar HT Stage 60, and the 100 is half the weight...
    Only two channels though where I have three at the moment.
    Two channels plus a boost each
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I actually just plugged in my Laney BCC Steelpark and discovered that it takes overdrive pedals quite well.  

So for anyone who needs high gain and is put off by the fizz, dial the High Gain channel in with the gain at 1-2, and then get the rest from an overdrive pedal with a small amount of drive dialled in.  Same goes for the crunch channel, but with that channel you can get higher on the gain settings (6-7) before the fizz appears.

The way it interacts with the Steelpark makes me think this could make a great pedal platform amp.
    Ah well, I paused too long and the 100 bundle from Guitar Guitar has sold out.
  • HT986M2 said:
    The way it interacts with the Steelpark makes me think this could make a great pedal platform amp.
    That's my next "taste test" I think as i've not plugged any effects into it yet. I've a couple of individual fuzzes and then the whole selection of HX Effects to try through it so that should be interesting. The Steelpark is a clean ish boost isn't it? 

(side note, I always feel like as I'm from the Black Country I should be into those Laney effects to show some local pride)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    HT986M2 said:
    That's my next "taste test" I think as i've not plugged any effects into it yet. I've a couple of individual fuzzes and then the whole selection of HX Effects to try through it so that should be interesting. The Steelpark is a clean ish boost isn't it? 

(side note, I always feel like as I'm from the Black Country I should be into those Laney effects to show some local pride)
    It's an overdrive and boost, and is a very overlooked pedal imo. Sensible price too.  It has three settings: neutral boost, upper-mid boost (i.e TS/SD-1) and a low-mid boost.  So it's a boost and an OD.
    After a bit more experimenting I'm a fan of boosting the High Gain channel (amp gain between 1 and 2) with an TS/SD1 or the Steelpark.  Add a little in-built chorus and you are in Wylde territory.  It's not quite as convenient as not having to use an external pedal, but I'm just glad I can tame the fizz.

I heard elsewhere that the fizz disappears at higher volumes.  I did a quick check and I can hear the difference, but we are talking rehearsal volumes before it becomes apparent.

The Boutique and Dynamic channels are really great.  I have the Boutique dialled in as a Fender-like with a little hair, and the Dynamic dialled into Marshall territory.  I prefer it over the Crunch channel.  Not that the Crunch channel isn't good, but it's just a bit more dynamic and mid forward.
  • JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 55
    edited December 2023
    I seem to have less luck than others.  I ordered a 100 and a 60, the 60 is on back order, should be here next week.  The 100 arrived, and sounded great, however had an intermittent power switch and a broken top bezel, so was returned.  The replacement arrived this morning, and seems to work fine, but the bezel was hanging off again.  Seems like a design flaw that they tried to fix with a bit of double-sided tape.  Sounds good with my GT1000 Core into the FX return though.

For the cost, I'm not too upset by the bezel, however if I'm buying B stock, I'd like to know before shelling out.
    my trading feedback HERE
  • Jalfrezi said:
    I seem to have less luck than others.  I ordered a 100 and a 60, the 60 is on back order, should be here next week.  The 100 arrived, and sounded great, however had an intermittent power switch and a broken top bezel, so was returned.  The replacement arrived this morning, and seems to work fine, but the bezel was hanging off again.  Seems like a design flaw that they tried to fix with a bit of double-sided tape.  Sounds good with my GT1000 Core into the FX return though.

For the cost, I'm not too upset by the bezel, however if I'm buying B stock, I'd like to know before shelling out.
    That is a shame - but given the deals at the moment, I would argue whatever you can off the price and glue it down, if it's electrically sound. It's a great amp and with a '1' at the start of the price it's unreal value. I think I prefer it to my ToneMaster (but will be testing a bit more before I make any rash decisions!)
  • Agreed
    my trading feedback HERE
    Has anyone else noticed a minor sound difference when dialling in a tone in manual mode versus when it is then saved to a patch?

In other words dial in a tone in manual mode, save it, and then A-B the channel it is saved on and manual mode. It’s almost as if the manual mode tone is clearer or has more presence?

It’s very minor but it’s something I came across tonight. 

I’m still extremely impressed by the boutique and dynamic channels.