Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Song better than the movie

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1413
    9 to 5 is a fantastic song, but a pretty okay film. So I object @dazzajl ; - Though that does make you technically correct, which is the best sort of course.

An easy one would be Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    Singles.

Superb soundtrack based on the Seattle Grunge scene. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, plus Smashing Pumpkins and Hendrix.

Shame thant the film is a bland Romcom
    Yes, that's a good one.  One of the few soundtrack albums I've got.  I can't remember if I've even seen the film.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    GoFish said:
    9 to 5 is a fantastic song, but a pretty okay film. So I object @dazzajl ; - Though that does make you technically correct, which is the best sort of course.

I did think a while before putting that one in. In the end it was the way the film has dated so much when the song hasn’t that tipped it in. 
  • That Berlin song.
    Dire movie.
    dazzajl said:
    GoFish said:

I did think a while before putting that one in. In the end it was the way the film has dated so much when the song hasn’t that tipped it in. 

It's a stone cold banger, aye. Who knew Xerox rooms, typing pools, and dictation would no longer be office staples? :)

The last 40 years of perma-soundtracks means that even the most unassuming film will come with a soundtrack or more or less random songs tied in to the product. I'll nominate Sympathy for the Devil in Interview with a Vampire.

In an "exception proving the rule" way, consider that Blue Danube was pretty roundly panned for decades until Kubrick used it in 2001 precisely because of it's plodding, serene, uncomplicated, lumpenness. Over the last 50 years (in pop culture) the song has had a total rehabilitation and is now considered by heathens to be the embodiment of sophisticattion.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5168
    Never ending story…….I’ll get me coat 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    GoFish said:
    dazzajl said:
    GoFish said:

It's a stone cold banger, aye. Who knew Xerox rooms, typing pools, and dictation would no longer be office staples? :)

The last 40 years of perma-soundtracks means that even the most unassuming film will come with a soundtrack or more or less random songs tied in to the product. I'll nominate Sympathy for the Devil in Interview with a Vampire.

In an "exception proving the rule" way, consider that Blue Danube was pretty roundly panned for decades until Kubrick used it in 2001 precisely because of it's plodding, serene, uncomplicated, lumpenness. Over the last 50 years (in pop culture) the song has had a total rehabilitation and is now considered by heathens to be the embodiment of sophisticattion.

As kids/teens my brother and I always loathed The Blue Danube as the epitome of all that was dull, unimaginative, and ‘square’. By the time I saw 2001 I was a young adult at Uni and understood the dance metaphor that Kubrick was employing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2023
    Keefy said:
    As kids/teens my brother and I always loathed The Blue Danube as the epitome of all that was dull, unimaginative, and ‘square’. By the time I saw 2001 I was a young adult at Uni and understood the dance metaphor that Kubrick was employing.
     Exactly! 

I have to say that it has changed my opionion of the piece and I probably hum it quite as an embodiment of Appolonian order.

Not many storytellers can enhance music through using it in a film rather than just piggybacking off the emotional content of the music to fluff up their pictures.  But I think Stanley Kubrick was a genius with a wicked sense of humour and music appreciation, so I would say that!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom