Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's better than a RAT?

What's Hot

Comments

• Amusingly when I saw the thread title my brain immediately went to "two RATS" so i opened the thread to make that joke.

Its sad when the OP sinks your funnyship before you've even started :-(
    Aww, sorry - I’ll let you make the pun when I buy the inevitable third RAT then…
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    I was tempted to say the Ibanez Fat Cat - which is basically a Rat copy with buffered switching - but to me it doesn't sound quite as good, a lot of the circuit values are different and it doesn't have the same character.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Deco
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Almost every pedal ever made is better than a Rat.

Not owning any pedals at all is better than owning 2 Rats.
    you wrong..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Heh - I always forget about the Warthog for some reason! I should probably try one…
    It's REALLY good... 
    I thought it was a bit meh tbh.    Much preferred my old rat2, and a newer one that had been modded by some clever chap.

The rat is simply glorious.  I have had one on my main board for around 15 years now and I've tried to replace it with dozens of similar(ish) pedals but it's seen them all off.  
  • I keep changing my mind about RATs.

I've got one of the "desirable" 90s ones and every timeI use it I change my mind about whether I like it or not. Very mood dependent! 
  • Amusingly when I saw the thread title my brain immediately went to "two RATS" so i opened the thread to make that joke.

I keep thinking about how to incorporate a "2 RATS 1 cup" gag into this thread and I'm still failing. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 335
    A filligree siberian hamster...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ira from Yo La Tengo is a two-RAT man. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Has anyone tried the TC Magus Pro - the small one with toggle to give you three version options?
  • Crazed_FandangoCrazed_Fandango Frets: 61
    edited December 2023
    I've never owned a rat.  The closest I came is the V1 Warthog, which sounded amazing in my old Fender HRDiii, but seemed to lose a bit through my Victory. I've tried a TateFX clone, which sounded okay.

The lack of volume clean up on Rats, kind of makes it less appealing. And the size of them.
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • timbuk02 said:
    Has anyone tried the TC Magus Pro - the small one with toggle to give you three version options?
    Ive got one. All 3 settings sound good. Not compared it to a rat but its great for 50 quid.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I can't remember if he stacks them or uses one for each amp. Any ideas?

• distresseddistressed Frets: 531
    edited December 2023
    I've seen/heard stacking live.

I think this is the case in that KEXP video I posted.
    I believe Pete Holstrom (spelling?) From Dandy Warhol's is also in that camp. Maybe Thom Yorke during Radiohead's earlier stuff too?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    Amusingly when I saw the thread title my brain immediately went to "two RATS" so i opened the thread to make that joke.

I was going to say an Otter.

Cuter
    Bigger
    Make Cuter Noises

Otters rule.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
    edited December 2023
    Recently acquired my first ever Rat style pedal in the form of a Chicago Stompworks Mr Vermin and jolly good it is too. At medium to higher gain it’s classic rock in a box and at low gain a nice edge of breakup kind of thing. I like what it does more than many overdrives I have owned such as TS variants, OCD, FET drives Nobels and so on, somehow less pedal sounding.
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • A Mongoose…
  • timbuk02 said:
    I didn't rate it - struggled to get from it what it usually takes 5 seconds to get from a proper RAT. Pot values maybe, or just the circuit in general with some sort of modification to make up for the different chip? I forget how they marketed it. 

I bet there are plenty of better options for a little more money!