GallagherSquire

What's Hot

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4675
    I didn’t mind it at all till Liam started singing colours 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6541
    The comments on Youtube are absolutely baffling.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 383
    I quite like both of the protagonists. It was alright, wouldn't want the album for an xmas present.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11916
    Really, just like any internet discussion - even on here a lot of the time - everybody expressing their opinions as if they are fact with the transmit button firmly mashed down...

I really love it - brilliant

How can you, it isn't any good?

I'ts brilliant, what are you talking about?

etc. etc.

The worst thing is all the people going "wow love it" with instant replies going "what are you on about it's obviously crap fnarr, fnarr" - fuck off and let people enjoy things you pricks.

With a song, you either like it or you don't.  Sometimes, back when I had friends I'd give things another listen based on their recommendations, but ultimately, if it doesn't hit your musical G-spot... it just doesn't.  That doesn't on any level give you a right to say "It's objectively bad, because I don't like it" 
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1808
    edited January 7
    On a related note, I find it odd that people are criticising it for sounding like Oasis mixed with the Roses/Seahorses. 

It’s John Squire and Liam Gallagher; it’s not likely to not sound like them is it. 

Nor is a song written and performed by 60 year old JS and 50 year old LG likely to be hugely revolutionary and why should it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11916
    the_jaffa said:
    On a related note, I find it odd that people are criticising it for sounding like Oasis mixed with the Roses/Seahorses. 

It’s John Squire and Liam Gallagher; it’s not likely to not sound like them is it. 

Nor is a song written and performed by 60 year old JS and 50 year old LG likely to be hugely revolutionary and why should it. 
    Quite.

Ultimately - with 90s nostalgia at full-chat currently and Liam more popular than he's been since 1996 - it's critic proof anyhow.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    the_jaffa said:

I’ll elaborate on my earlier comment - I wouldn’t bemoan the fact it sounds like them. Who else is it going to sound like after all?

My point is/was that it sounds like 2 different songs - Liams song until John starts his extended noodling. I’m not going to overanalyse it.. it’s a decent tune and it’s just my opinion. But it could do with being a 3-3 1/2 minute song
  • I think one of the things we can learn from this is that Mani and Reni were a great rhythm section. Digging Ian Brown out for not being much of singer misses the point a little - he was part of the reason the Roses captured the publics imagination. But the Roses were always more than the some of their parts. 

I think it reminds me a little of Tomorrow Never Knows.

A gig that incorporated songs from both Squire and Gallaghers back catalogue (and by that I am mean Oasis') would be fun. 
    I think one of the things we can learn from this is that Mani and Reni were a great rhythm section. Digging Ian Brown out for not being much of singer misses the point a little - he was part of the reason the Roses captured the publics imagination. But the Roses were always more than the some of their parts. 

A gig that incorporated songs from both Squire and Gallaghers back catalogue (and by that I am mean Oasis') would be fun. 
    It’s actually not Ian Brown’s singing that I have a problem with really. I can watch the Blackpool Ballroom gig over and over and over. 

However, his voice changed after the Roses split/during the solo stuff and less to my liking. Then there’s the odd and slightly embarrassing clothing and dad dancing that was rife through the reunion. He no longer had the same aura as a frontman that he did have. 

The lyrics on the two 2016 singles were dreadful too and he’s got even more loony since. 

I’ve always been Team Squire but I fully appreciate how Ian was the band’s focal point and star in the early days. That’s what makes it more sad the way he’s gone. 

All just my opinion of course 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6541
    edited January 7
    Really, just like any internet discussion - even on here a lot of the time - everybody expressing their opinions as if they are fact with the transmit button firmly mashed down...

I really love it - brilliant

How can you, it isn't any good?

I'ts brilliant, what are you talking about?

etc. etc.

The worst thing is all the people going "wow love it" with instant replies going "what are you on about it's obviously crap fnarr, fnarr" - fuck off and let people enjoy things you pricks.

With a song, you either like it or you don't.  Sometimes, back when I had friends I'd give things another listen based on their recommendations, but ultimately, if it doesn't hit your musical G-spot... it just doesn't.  That doesn't on any level give you a right to say "It's objectively bad, because I don't like it" 
    No, that’s what was baffling: the comments I saw were universally enthusiastic. I have no problem with the fact that some people are going to love it, to think it’s an unexpected return to an era long thought to be in the past…whilst some of us hate it and some of us think it’s “OK, I guess…”

It was the lack of different opinions that surprised me.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4000

It was the lack of different opinions that surprised me.
    I think I’ve seen more positive comments on LG pages and negative on Stone Roses pages.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 744
    Liam is very monotone, as usual. 
  • the_jaffa said:

It’s actually not Ian Brown’s singing that I have a problem with really. I can watch the Blackpool Ballroom gig over and over and over. 

However, his voice changed after the Roses split/during the solo stuff and less to my liking. Then there’s the odd and slightly embarrassing clothing and dad dancing that was rife through the reunion. He no longer had the same aura as a frontman that he did have. 

The lyrics on the two 2016 singles were dreadful too and he’s got even more loony since. 

I’ve always been Team Squire but I fully appreciate how Ian was the band’s focal point and star in the early days. That’s what makes it more sad the way he’s gone. 

Yes - I couldn't defend some of Browns conduct post Roses and some of the recent lyrics weren't great. I'd be on dodgy ground if I said anything about the clothes and dad dancing - and I am pretty sure I don't have the same aura I did 30 years ago either (which is probably not very much aura at all lol)
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3351
    I love it, but even if I didnt, Liam has got John out of his shed, playing and recording again which many have tried and failed.

This is a brilliant thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    I love it, but even if I didnt, Liam has got John out of his shed, playing and recording again which many have tried and failed.

I concur.

I think my feelings on the record are that it is not quite as good as I hoped it might be (impossibly high standards really) but it is way way better than I feared it might be.
    the_jaffa said:

Yes - I couldn't defend some of Browns conduct post Roses and some of the recent lyrics weren't great. I'd be on dodgy ground if I said anything about the clothes and dad dancing - and I am pretty sure I don't have the same aura I did 30 years ago either (which is probably not very much aura at all lol)
    I know what you're saying but John, Mani and Reni all managed to not be embarrassing (imo) at the same gigs.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3351
    the_jaffa said:

I concur.

I think my feelings on the record are that it is not quite as good as I hoped it might be (impossibly high standards really) but it is way way better than I feared it might be.
    Everyone who goes on about Squire never seems to know he released 2 brilliant solo records (and another unreleased) in the early 2000s. I probably listen to Time Changes Everything more that the Debut nowadays. Its great to have him back.   
    I really like TCE too. Some great songs on it. Strangely though, and I am not sure why, I haven't got Marshall's House on record so I am not so familiar with it. Probably should rectify that.
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 986
    edited January 8
    the_jaffa said:
    the_jaffa said:

I know what you're saying but John, Mani and Reni all managed to not be embarrassing (imo) at the same gigs.
    I am with you @the_jaffa - but I am not sure I could agree about Reni. He could be one of my favourite musicians but he certainly has a fair amount of embarrassing behaviour in the locker..... One of John's greatest gifts is not saying too much. I really like his tone on this..... 

the Blackpool Ballroom gig is incredible isn't it..... I didn't see them until the second coming......I was taking my daughter in law back to Uni in Swansea this weekend and she put a playlist on that had a lot of early Roses on it. They are still connecting with new people now - that made me happy. 

Edit - she hasn't heard me playing the Roses or Oasis - but as well as playing Roses on her play list she was also talking to her friends about their favourite Oasis song. 
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 54
    I think one of the things we can learn from this is that Mani and Reni were a great rhythm section. Digging Ian Brown out for not being much of singer misses the point a little - he was part of the reason the Roses captured the publics imagination. But the Roses were always more than the some of their parts. 

Definately got Tomorrow Never Knows vibe... Clearly Liam knows his 'market' going by the Definitely Maybe tour...

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum