GallagherSquire

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    ^^^^

Crikey - a negative review from the fucking Grauniad is almost a guarantee of quality.

They have a spinner in the office between "insufferable attempt to be trendy" and "insufferable intellectual arrogance" and then they write from the perspective of whatever they land on.

I'm allowed to like Dad rock, I'm a fucking Dad! :lol:
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 54
    ^^^^

Crikey - a negative review from the fucking Grauniad is almost a guarantee of quality.

They have a spinner in the office between "insufferable attempt to be trendy" and "insufferable intellectual arrogance" and then they write from the perspective of whatever they land on.

I'm allowed to like Dad rock, I'm a fucking Dad! :lol:
    Well, the NME probably would have slated it if they were still in circulation  ;)

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1797
    edited March 15
    Having watched a number of the clips from Barrowlands on youtube I can sort of see what The Guardian mean about it being a bit flat on stage and the short set is a bit of an issue.

However, you only need to see clips of the crowd to know that the punters, on the whole, were absolutely loving it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6877
    I saw them in wolverhampton last night and can agree with some of that review. The sound and lighting were superb and fitted the vibe of the songs, I cant think of a song on the album that didnt come across well live. But there was not much feeling of a band - no interaction on stage.

The drummer and bassist (Barry Cadogan from Little Barrie and Primal Scream) - were superb - a really funky -solid rhythm section that made the songs all enjoyable. Johns playing was great - I loved hearing the chord/riffing style of his playing and never saw the stone roses so glad to see him playing live again.

But it was short, they are basing their album/partnership on their reputations from previous musical output/bands, so why not play a few songs from the past that the reputations were based on and get the crowd going? If not , why not a few covers in their own style, but of songs that inspired them. Just seemed lazy and a bit disrespectful of the people who had paid (alot) to be there.

Dont get me started on the two people who were near me that talked all the way through, did two trips to the bar to get beer and two trips to the bogs to piss it out again during a 60 minute set...why the f&&k did you bother buying tickets???!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GJK1959 said:
    ^^^^

I'm allowed to like Dad rock, I'm a fucking Dad! lol
    Well, the NME probably would have slated it if they were still in circulation 
    Oh God yeah - they usually averaged about three bands they were saying anything positive about?

The only ones who genuinely seemed to review things based on whether they actually liked them were Q, I miss that mag .
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1025
    Why didn't Johnny boy give his new songs to his old mates !

Could have been like this !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRswxxT3HQ8
    “Ken sent me.”
    edited March 15
    mrkb said:
    I saw them in wolverhampton last night and can agree with some of that review. The sound and lighting were superb and fitted the vibe of the songs, I cant think of a song on the album that didnt come across well live. But there was not much feeling of a band - no interaction on stage.
    That's why people want an Oasis reunion you see, Liam would have called Noel a cunt at least once . 

As for the old songs, I suspect a tacit agreement that Roses songs with better vocals or oasis songs with "better" guitar would both lead to the wrong kind of headlines.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    @chrisj1602 That Office sketch is quality!
    edited March 15
    Why didn't Johnny boy give his new songs to his old mates !

Could have been like this !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRswxxT3HQ8
    That jam from 8:50 onwards is epic!
    And the band interaction from 11:10 was definitely missing last night.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Always happens, enjoying a thread and it dies...

OK, what other great indie pair ups could there be?

Damon Albarn and Johnny Marr?

Thom Yorke and Graham Coxon?

Richard Ashcroft and Jonny Greenwood?
  • Nick McCabe and Jason Pierce for some astro indie 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Nick McCabe and Jason Pierce for some astro indie 
    Yup that would be pretty spacey.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22163

I am enjoying it.  Really reminds me a lot of the later Oasis albums with a bit more character on the lead guitar!  Bless him, while Gem Archer is a very fine guitarist (and Heavy Stereo had their moments) he isn't Jonny Squire.

Ultimately, as a record, it's razor targeted at people like me (and many others) who always loved Oasis, the Roses, the Seahorses, Liam's solo career... now guess what - stick two hugely strong elements of that together and you get this.

Are the two of them together songwriters strong enough to rival Noel G?  Naah - not even close - but given he is doing what he does quite happily and we get records like "Council Skies", and we also get albums like this one from little Bro and whoever he is working with - fans ultimately win.

Although many disagree with me - and I'm biased because I spent the late 90s as a sad lonely teen whose only friends were his albums (true story) - I do think it was a fucking fantastic era for music.

Produced some amazing guitarists as well - what I call the "indie rock era" starting with the Smiths and .. well .. still going really.

Jonny Marr, Squire, Coxon, Greenwood, JDB etc.

Squire's an odd one for me. When I started rebuilding myself on guitar last year after going away from it, there was such a feeling of accomplishment playing stuff from the Smiths or something like Coxon's wonderful riffs on Charmless Man. Doing Stone Roses stuff.. it's actually quite easy. Of the list of indie guitar gods, he's the only one I learn stuff by and think 'Oh, I that it?". Slightly different feeling when I finally got Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others into the head and the fingers...

The album's alright. The guitar is a little bit dull for me, bit predictable with the solos. The highlight is actually Liam sounding better than he has done for a long time. 

And the 90's were fucking fantastic. Anyone who says that it was just white boys with guitars is a moron. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    Honestly my guess is they know this material isn't a patch on either's back catalogue, so don't want to play those classics and make it clear just how different the crowd reaction would be! 

The album overall is fine. Not bad by any stretch, just not more than the sum of its parts. 

As for fantasy indie combinations, I reckon Bernard Butler with Blur would be great fun. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    I think it’s a decent album. It did have to grow on me though.

I’m really looking forward to seeing them next week now.

I suspect a second album, following a tour, Squire getting back to his best, and the band gelling, will be better.
    A second album...

"Liam, I have an idea, our second album should start with several minutes of funny noises, and basically be all six minute Jimmy Page tributes..."
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    A second album...

"Liam, I have an idea, our second album should start with several minutes of funny noises, and basically be all six minute Jimmy Page tributes..."

A second album...

I love Second Coming, has the best Roses tracks on it. Elizabeth my dear was bollox!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    A second album...

I love Second Coming, has the best Roses tracks on it. Elizabeth my dear was bollox!
    I far prefer your last comment on it...

"I'm not on drugs, so I prefer the Second Coming!"
    ...actually, along with Be Here Now, the Second Coming is one of the albums of the 90s that most badly needs re-producing to really serve it's songs well.

If you missed out all the funny noises and nonsense on both, cut the length of some tracks, you would come out with two really excellent albums.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom