Anyone looking for a new gig?

What's Hot

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 927
    Siamese Dream is an unmatched masterpiece, and Mellon Collie was a commercial and critical juggernaut. Ava adore was super interesting too. 

Although a douche, billy corgan is an amazing guitarist with a very distinctive and personal style. Similarly with his vocals. 

I think early-mid pumpkins are pretty peerless to be honest. 

That being said, not sure I’d want to be in the band
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 776
    gusman2x said:
    Siamese Dream is an unmatched masterpiece, and Mellon Collie was a commercial and critical juggernaut. Ava adore was super interesting too. 

Although a douche, billy corgan is an amazing guitarist with a very distinctive and personal style. Similarly with his vocals. 

I think early-mid pumpkins are pretty peerless to be honest. 

That being said, not sure I’d want to be in the band
    I agree with all this. I think they have were particularly distinctive given their genre and era. For me, the 90s had some bands with some 'hits', and some which truly defined the era. The Pumpkins, along with Nirvana, Sonic Youth, maybe Soundgarden, defined it, and the Smashing Pumpkins were the ones pushing the most boundaries there. Listen to disc 2 of Mellon Collie. To go from Bodies to Thirty-Three is extremely eclectic. 

I'm not sure I would put Jane's Addiction or Pearl Jam in that category. They were just around. 

When I was 18 I would have killed for this opportunity. Would enjoy seeing them again soon. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 410
    Love the Pumpkins, would love this gig, wouldn't want to be in a band with Billy even tho he's one of my favourite guitarists...
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    I would give half a bollock to jam with Jimmy Chamberlain for a bit

He's technical but he also gets right inside the riffs, just unbelievably locked in

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    Like his parts are properly composed, everything is for a purpose 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 410
    Chamberlain is a massively underated drummer imo. I think he's absolutely brilliant as well.
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3821
    topdog91 said:
    Mediocrity warning:

@topdog91 ;

I am not a huge fan of the band and don't really like when Corgan does that overly-breathy vocal - but that's a perfectly good little song.  They've done much better too.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7097
    tFB Trader
    I had a customer here today who said he's going for it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3940
    edited January 6
    Far fastonebaz said:
    Shame.   I don't think I could name a single song. 
    Far too cool for WASP and Poison fans I'm afraid. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3940
    Superb band (back in the day). Soundtrack to my university days. Siamese Dream is a masterpiece and a classic. Hummer is my favourite song. The way it winds down at the end is sublime.

I've got to ask though: with James Iha back on board, why do they need a third guitarist?

Ps. Billy - Make peace with D'arcy and get her back. Original line-up playing the old songs would be awesome.

• floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 160
    A friend of mine supported them on a couple of dates a few years back and he was buzzing for it until it actually happened. 

Lots of entourage really rude to them and the only encounter they had with a member was one of them being very vile and pretentious (won’t say which member).  They weren’t allowed to meet anyone else and SP had made a rule that support acts were not to go near, had to leave the venue when SP sound checked and weren’t allowed back in for hours which left them late for their own sound check.  They even refused to sign anything for them, but I think they weren’t especially bothered by that point. 

I think if you were successful in that appointment be prepared to either become as horrid as they act or suffer a very dictatorial working environment probably with a touch of tantrum thrown in.  I used to be a big fan in the late 90s early 2000s too. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4150
    Lebarque said:
    Far fastonebaz said:
    Shame.   I don't think I could name a single song. 
    Far too cool for WASP and Poison fans I'm afraid. 
    Fuck like a beast is a much bet song title than siamese dream.  :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10374
    edited January 6
    Jetfire said:
    Wow, alot of hate for a band here.... 
    Wouldn't say it's exactly hate; they're just a bit mediocre in comparison to other bands in the same musical genre. Mostly harmless, as Douglas Adams would say.
    Like who in the genre? Who wrote like Corgan, mixing alt rock, prog, dream pop and metal? Who was a better, more interesting guitarist than him in the alt rock scene, who is a better drummer from that scene than Jimmy Chamberlain? I'd say no one. 

I understand if people don't like his voice, and their recent albums arent amazing and yes, he can be annoying but Gish, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie are three phenomenal albums, all very different both musically and stylistically.

A lot of the misinformed opinions around the Pumpkins are from people who listened to Today, didn't like his voice and then judged their entire catalogue based off that. There's no way you'd listen to the entirety of Mellon Collie, or Siamese Dream if you didn't like them or couldn't get past his voice so I don't think people know what they're talking about. 

If you don't like them, fine. But the Pumpkins, mediocre? Nonsense mate. 
    In terms of the ad, I can play about 30 of their songs note for note but even if I did spend my day recording Geek USA and Soma, Porcelina they probably won't see it, and if they did I might not look the right way so it's always gonna be a one in a million isn't it. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
    I don’t have the chops but would love to play just one song with them. 
    grungebob said:
    I don’t have the chops but would love to play just one song with them. 
    Tonight Tonight is like three chords mate. I'm sure you could manage!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24750
    I don't like actually like SP that much. I really want to because the best songs themselves are fantastic, but I can't stand Corgan's voice. I'm genuinely hoping I'll eventually come around to it
    I feel the same about The Beatles.

Amazing songs, awful voices.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 6
    Not the Beatles too!!!? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14700
    Jetfire said:
    *Pedantic handbag motion*
    Tannin said:
    Now, you are just making shit up. 
    PHM is entirely genuine. See if you can identify the correct definition from amongst the bluffs.

Frank Muir said it was an out-of-pwint Ambient Jazz album on ECM Wecords.

Richard Stilgoe said it was an obscene Amsterdam nightclub act.

Gabrielle Drake said something or other but you were too busy trying to identify her flying objects to hear a single word of it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1346
    They offered me the role before advertising it. 

I told them I was only willing to play stuff off the first 3 records along with about 10 tracks off everything they’ve done since …
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom