Plant based chips?

What's Hot
CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3254
edited January 8 in Off Topic
Missed our cheat night last week as we where still feeling too ill to eat, decided to have a cheat night tonight instead, plus none of us are feeling well enough to cook.  So fired up a meal delivery app, and one of the takeaways that services my location has no joke here, and this is a Chippy, described is chips as ''plant based''.  As far as I'm aware all chips are plant based, and have always been, so unless, and please feel free to correct me here, that I've somehow missed out on something as glorious as chips made out of bacon, steak, chicken......., describing chips as being ''plant based'', is either pretty bloody redundant, or you're assuming that your vegan and vegetarian customers are thicker than regular people.

And yes I know how lazy it is to order delivery from a Chippy that is less than 500 meters away from my front door, we've both been feeling really ill since just after Christmas.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 245
    Maybe there are better things to be eating than chips if you're not feeling the best?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7867
    Do chill gammon, you quickly absconded from the vegan thread after research that disagreed  with your assumptions was posted. 

I think the reason the chips may have been marked as such is that some chips might hypothetically be made with tallow(the traditional Mcdonalds method) or goose fat, not likely but maybe people want to be sure.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6580
    Some chips are cooked in animal fats, so technically some chips aren’t vegan.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2563
    edited January 8
    If your chips are fried in the same fryer as the fish, they’re no longer going to be suitable for vegans are they.

Who’s the thick one now?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3254
    Maybe there are better things to be eating than chips if you're not feeling the best?

Since the 27th we've all but been main lining oranges, lemons, limes, honey, lots of vitamins including magnesium, Soothers, Lemsip, crap the Dr has prescribed us and Lucazade.  We've been feeling that sick and week, that we've come extremely close to trying Irn Bru, and to hell with the nasty side effect of being turned into a Rab C Nesbit ginger.  None of us has has been able to eat, or keep food down, so if we think we might be able to eat and keep chips down, chips is what we're eating.  It's called ''comfort food'' for a reason.
    edited January 8
    Some chips are cooked in animal fats, so technically some chips aren’t vegan.

elstoof said:
    If your chips are fried in the same fryer as the fish, they’re no longer going to be suitable for vegans are they.

Who’s the thick one now?

They're still plant based though, what they're cooked in, or even how they are cooked does not alter the fact that they are plant based, in this case potato based - he does sweet potato ones as well.

Do chill gammon, you quickly absconded from the vegan thread after research that disagreed  with your assumptions was posted. 

I think the reason the chips may have been marked as such is that some chips might hypothetically be made with tallow(the traditional Mcdonalds method) or goose fat, not likely but maybe people want to be sure.

Seriously I'm a ''gammon'' for thinking it's strange/silly to have to tell people that chips are ''plant based''?  There's that tolerance the ''progressive left'' that claim to be the champions of tolerance for you.

And by the way there are has been for a good number of years internationally recognised symbols that are currently in use all over the world for vegan as well as vegetarian suitable food.
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 737
    I can assure you that chips cooked in animal fats are definitely not plant based. 
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12283
    One of our locals advertises chips as gluten-free (potatoes are naturally gluten free) which is presumably a similar concept - perhaps people google "plant based"?

NB: Although "Do Chill Gammon" is possibly the funniest thing I've seen written this year, I'm now craving a traditional gammon and chips with a fried egg and a pineapple slice - so not sure if it had the desired effect.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 634

NB: Although "Do Chill Gammon" is possibly the funniest thing I've seen written this year, I'm now craving a traditional gammon and chips with a fried egg and a pineapple slice - so not sure if it had the desired effect.
    Probably better to heat it rather than chill it, though...

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19298
    You have missed out if you haven't tried a bucket of Buffalo Chips.
    Should only ever be attempted once & never to be forgotten...
    Genuinely high fibre & vegetarian too :-D
    One of our locals advertises chips as gluten-free (potatoes are naturally gluten free) which is presumably a similar concept - perhaps people google "plant based"?

That's what I don't get, everybody who uses this chippy, and who's house is within the Chippy's delivery area, knows that the chips they do are made from either potatoes or sweet potatoes ''in house'', as in they buy in potatoes and sweet potatoes and wash, and cut them into chips themselves.  If you walk past the place an hour or 2 before it opens, you can see them washing, peeling, and chopping potatoes and sweet potatoes into chips.

We're not exactly a hot spot for tourists, or have any restaurants - besides the chippy, that people not local would come to village for. 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2563

Seriously I'm a ''gammon'' for thinking it's strange/silly to have to tell people that chips are ''plant based''? 
    It’s not telling you that potatoes are plant based, it’s telling you that everything in the dish you order will be plant based; no fish extracts or battered sausage juices seeping into the oil the chips are cooked in. Vegans and vegetarians quite rightly need to know that sort of information 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    elstoof said:

Seriously I'm a ''gammon'' for thinking it's strange/silly to have to tell people that chips are ''plant based''? 
    It’s not telling you that potatoes are plant based, it’s telling you that everything in the dish you order will be plant based; no fish extracts or battered sausage juices seeping into the oil the chips are cooked in. Vegans and vegetarians quite rightly need to know that sort of information 

You might want to have a look at what ''plant based'' actually means.  Put it this way, things can be ''plant based'', which are not suitable for a vegan or vegetarian.

The difference between a vegan and a plant-based diet

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 796
    edited January 8
    Potatoes are plant based, chips not necessarily.

What do you put in a toaster? 
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 737
    The article you've linked to claims that a plant-based diet means you can choose to eat animal produce. Have you got any authoritative sources to cite ? :joy: 
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    edited January 8
    What makes them high fibre?  (Or in other words, what are they?)
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7178
    edited January 8
    Philly_Q said:
    What makes them high fibre? 
    The buffalos are fed a shredded wheat diet.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19298
    Philly_Q said:
    What makes them high fibre?  (Or in other words, what are they?)
    Sorry, I thought the term was more widely known  B)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_dung
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12283
    Kurtis said:
    Potatoes are plant based, chips not necessarily.

What do you put in a toaster? 
    I once got a croissant stuck in one of those treadmill toasters they have at hotels.

I almost started a fire.... and burnt my croissant.

Wasn't my finest hour.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11410
    You could argue that chips are plant-based but may not be wholly composed of plant-material.