Gladiators...

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    I classify programmes like this along with It's a Knockout etc  boring (although ok for kids if it keeps them off Tik Tok )
    Real Gladiators of the Russell Crowe type orgy of gore and violence must have been much more exciting but surely the Japanese 'Gladiators' type shows are much more entertaining and bizarre.......certainly closer to the real thing
    I remember seeing one where women had a 15 second head start up a hill being chased by a huge Komodo Dragon;
    Some people on those are crazy with the trials they put themselves through and lots seem to get properly hurt.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice to see Mark Clattenburg trying to make himself the centre of attention on a Saturday again….
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1491
    The same forum where people were suggesting that darts would encourage people to live unhealthy lifestyles…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11747
    euan said:
    The same forum where people were suggesting that darts would encourage people to live unhealthy lifestyles…
    Perish the thought eh!

Andy Fordham was a legend for much more than darts - Sportsmail remembers  The Viking  Daily Mail Online

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 650
    edited January 14
    Definitely not me.
    I didn’t watch The Anabolic steroids show the first time round.
    More rehashed old television programs because nobody can come up with any decent new ideas.
    I don't think it's so much about a lack of ideas, but rather knowing they have a ready made audience and an almost guaranteed cash cow.

Less of a risk to use an idea you already know is popular. 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2269
    I thought it was a bit of good fun.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1413
    edited January 14
    blobb said:

Never watched the uk version but wasn't Alan Partridge a fan?
    I believe he was a fan of Jet, or more specifically, althletic women like Jet (presuably including the lady herself).

Philly_Q said:
    blobb said:
    I remember the original: American Gladiators. Late night stoner tv staple, usually followed by Renegade! 
    Me too, but there was no stonering... I think in my region Renegade was more like 12.30pm whereas American Gladiators was right in the middle of the night.  I can't remember if it was on the same nights as Raw Power aka Noisy Mothers.  I certainly used to record American Gladiators and something else.
    Raw Power morphed into Noisy Mothers, did it not? Same basic show, but a soft reboot and a greater focus on metal and hard rock rather than poprock? It was definitely more 90s, more post grunge. Was it the same slot as The Beat, the indie/ alt show where I first saw PJ Harvey?

Sorry, you set me off down memory lane there.

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5509
    And before Raw Power there was The Power Hour...
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5509
    Philly_Q said:
    Well, that was... alright.

Slight reservations about Bradley and Barney as presenters, but they do have a connection with the original show so it's not quite as odd a choice as it seems.  

What's their connection with the old show?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22891
    edited January 14
    DiscoStu said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Well, that was... alright.

Slight reservations about Bradley and Barney as presenters, but they do have a connection with the original show so it's not quite as odd a choice as it seems.  
    What's their connection with the old show?
    Bradley's wife, Barney's mum, Donna Derby was the choreographer of the cheerleaders (G-Force) on the original series and apparently that's how Brad met her, although I'm not sure what he was doing on the set of Gladiators in 1992.

Incidentally there are no cheerleaders in the new show, which makes it "woke", according to Ulrika Jonsson and the Daily Mail.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GoFish said:
    Raw Power morphed into Noisy Mothers, did it not? Same basic show, but a soft reboot and a greater focus on metal and hard rock rather than poprock? It was definitely more 90s, more post grunge. Was it the same slot as The Beat, the indie/ alt show where I first saw PJ Harvey?
    DiscoStu said:
    And before Raw Power there was The Power Hour...
    I don't remember The Power Hour or The Beat, or the exact time slot, just that it was on in the early hours of the morning.  If it was on now I'd probably be up to watch it live, but in those days I used to tape it and watch the next morning.

Apparently (Wikipedia tells me) Raw Power/Noisy Mothers ran from 1990 to 1995.  The Power Hour was on Music Box (whatever that was) from 1985 to 1990.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    JerkMoans said:
    I model my hairstyle on Wolf from Gladiators.

and I my tits after Ulrika ka ka ka ka
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westfordwestford Frets: 581
    3/4 of us watched and enjoyed it, the 6 year old couldn’t tear himself away from Minecraft. The 10 yr old enjoys programmes like Ninja Warrior and Total Wipeout so this was up his street. Mr W and me watched for the nostalgia. During the intro sequence Mr W said “who’s going to be the bad guy?” then Viper appeared on screen. Yes, it’s silly but that’s part of the appeal.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28304
    I walked right past Wolf in Woking, years ago. I thought "that can't be..." but he was doing a panto.

He was very un-tall, but still quite large. Didn't seem terribly grumpy.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Had to watch it for nostalgia sake, thought this is the new stuff just like the old stuff. What did strike me was how much more the new gladiators are physically more sculptured than the old ones. The old ones looked like athletes the new ones like body builders.

Mrs M not impressed by it. 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Caught the last 15 mins of it before the Masters snooker started.

I never liked it first time round and it looks worse now. I did notice Montell Douglas and Harry AA are Gladiators which I suppose is a natural post-athletics career option to earn a crust.

I'll not be watching at all ... not my bag :-1: 
    edited January 14
    Had to watch it for nostalgia sake, thought this is the new stuff just like the old stuff. What did strike me was how much more the new gladiators are physically more sculptured than the old ones. The old ones looked like athletes the new ones like body builders.
    I agree, but the new line-up includes Montell Douglas and Harry Aikines-Aryeetey, both former elite-level sprinters (although some might say if Harry had spent less time bulking up in the gym he might have been a slightly better sprinter...).  I think a few of the others have sports backgrounds too.

(Edit: @stufisher mentioned them both whilst I was typing!)
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    For anyone that's interested...

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/original-gladiators-where-now/

IMHO Sharron Davies still looks incredible at 61yo :astonished: 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I enjoyed it. 
    Awooga was missing though
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    I am quite surprised that they have not got rid of the dangerous events likely to lead to injury. We watched it as a family (a very rare thing) and everyone enjoyed it.