Gladiators...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BrioBrio Frets: 1833
    edited January 15
    "IMHO Sharron Davies still looks incredible at 61yo"

Tying in with athletes morphing to body builders comments above, I photographed Sharron in the early 80s for a sport promotional campaign with Weetabix when she still had a swimmers body. By the time Gladiators came out she was considerably more ripped. My wife said it looked almost like steroid useage as the change was pretty extreme.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Had to watch it for nostalgia sake, thought this is the new stuff just like the old stuff. What did strike me was how much more the new gladiators are physically more sculptured than the old ones. The old ones looked like athletes the new ones like body builders.

Mrs M not impressed by it. 
    I would have said the exact opposite actually. Watching the old ones and almost all of the blokes in particular were proper steroid body builder bodies. Look at Hunter (he was only 19 years old at the start), Warrior, Shadow etc. The female Gladiators were less obviously bulked up and a couple were definitely athletic though.

The new version has a few Crossfit athletes, a body builder and a few ex-pro athletes (sprinters, a bob-sledder etc.) Now that doesn't mean that there hasn't been "enhancement" but I'd say they are less obviously steroid-physiques than the originals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11747
    Brio said:

Tying in with athletes morphing to body builders comments above, I photographed Sharron in the early 80s for a sport promotional campaign with Weetabix when she still had a swimmers body. By the time Gladiators came out she was considerably more ripped. My wife said it looked almost like steroid useage as the change was pretty extreme.
    As I've said before on here, I sat next to Sharron in a swimming pool a few years back whilst taking my daughter for a lesson.  I can confirm she is indeed as fit as a butcher's dog.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1491
    Brio said:

Which would be ironic given what she is mostly famous for these days 
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 694
    the_jaffa said:
    Had to watch it for nostalgia sake, thought this is the new stuff just like the old stuff. What did strike me was how much more the new gladiators are physically more sculptured than the old ones. The old ones looked like athletes the new ones like body builders.

Mrs M not impressed by it. 
    I would have said the exact opposite actually. Watching the old ones and almost all of the blokes in particular were proper steroid body builder bodies. Look at Hunter (he was only 19 years old at the start), Warrior, Shadow etc. The female Gladiators were less obviously bulked up and a couple were definitely athletic though.

The new version has a few Crossfit athletes, a body builder and a few ex-pro athletes (sprinters, a bob-sledder etc.) Now that doesn't mean that there hasn't been "enhancement" but I'd say they are less obviously steroid-physiques than the originals.
    100% this. The men from the original version were basically all poster children for dianabol. Absolute fucking units.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Well I’ve enjoyed an awful lot. It’s an odd mix of hard competition and nonsense but it belts along. Already recommissioned I gather. I wouldn’t mind different presenters but that’s about it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3462
    Not my thing this kind of thing, my personal view is I think its total shite, but then some of the stuff I watch probably is total shite anyway, but yeah, no.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    We’ve really enjoyed it and my kids have been pretty inspired by it. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17623
    tFB Trader
    Best thing on telly. Kids love it.