Guitar kits from Guitar Fabric Anyone tried one?

What's Hot
Wondering if anyone has had a kit from Guitar Fabric, I doubt a Steinberger Spirit GE will turn up from my wanted ads so wondered about putting a kit together, these appear to be supplied from the UK so if there are issues, its not all in China….

This is the kit, its pretty expensive considering I only really want the body, neck, string retainer, and control cover plates, the majority of the rest will no doubt go in recycling, I have a “proper” Steinberger R trem in the stash….so as long as the neck and body are usuable….

Any experience with this supplier?

https://guitarkitfabric.co.uk/guitar-kit-headless-steinberger-1-block-7141269444150-en.html
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Chris.BChris.B Frets: 285
    Is this really a UK based company?  Looking at the description of the headless guitar, it suggests it was written by someone who is not overly familiar with English. A brief look around the site reveals a number of similar mistakes and typos. 

The single review of the headless kit on their site has the date in the US format.

The address given on the website looks like a multi-occupant building, hard to tell if their is a guitar kit manufacturing company based there. 

I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with their products, hopefully they are excellent, but the above suggests it is worth making a few checks if you want to be sure that it is a UK based operation. 

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Here’s my build thread https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/242915/guitar-kits-guitar-fabric-rickenbacker-12-string-build-thread#latest

The biggest issue I had was that I needed to countersink the bridge posts to get the action down to a playable level. But as your neck appears to be a bolt on that will be less of an issue. And I should take some responsibility because I didn’t take enough care when checking before I glued the neck in. 

As @Chris.B says the instructions are not well written - and they didn’t respond to my email query - but the construction was fairly straightforward and easy with a little common sense. 

Most of the frets needed some work and the nut needed recutting but on balance I’d say you’d probably end up with a similar quality instrument if you paid the same amount for a budget copy. 

The experience hasn’t put me off, in fact earlier today I checked some kits but I’d go for a bolt on neck next time 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    edited January 14
    Almost certainly Chinese-made instrument kits, stocked and distributed in the UK.

Chris.B said:
    The address given on the website looks like a multi-occupant building. 
    Google Street View suggests commercial on the ground floor and residential on all floors above. A single unfurnished commercial unit would offer limited storage space. Probably a correspondence address rather than a warehouse.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28207
    Chris.B said:

The address given on the website looks like a multi-occupant building, hard to tell if their is a guitar kit manufacturing company based there. 

They list two different addresses, both called International House, both in London, both have a lot of businesses registered to the same address.

They do say it was founded by two people in Lyon.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    paulnb57 said:
    Wondering if anyone has had a kit from Guitar Fabric
    So i haven't had a kit from these guys but i did end up with the body hardware & pups a GM type Kit like this a few ago.

And it was Pretty much Dog Shit,pic's of these look a lot better than the one i have but the routes were all off center and the bridge route was about 3mm to wide, the Overload of music hardware (more like software) is worthless pot metal tatt...i stuck it all in a box for about 5 years and it sold for £15 on ebay when i had a clear out

Id say you might be better off going to the source (or as close as you can get) via Aliexpress

You can get a full on wenge/wenge hradless neck ther for about £65 delivered (you'll get a bous discount for your first order also)

Or Maple for under £50

Im pretty sure someone (inc me ;) ) could kick you up a GM type body in a wood of your choice.

Seems a bit of a waste of money if half the kit is total trash....YMMV.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited January 17
    Gizmo said:
    paulnb57 said:
    Wondering if anyone has had a kit from Guitar Fabric
    So i haven't had a kit from these guys but i did end up with the body hardware & pups a GM type Kit like this a few ago.

And it was Pretty much Dog Shit,pic's of these look a lot better than the one i have but the routes were all off center and the bridge route was about 3mm to wide, the Overload of music hardware (more like software) is worthless pot metal tatt...i stuck it all in a box for about 5 years and it sold for £15 on ebay when i had a clear out

Id say you might be better off going to the source (or as close as you can get) via Aliexpress

You can get a full on wenge/wenge hradless neck ther for about £65 delivered (you'll get a bous discount for your first order also)

Or Maple for under £50

Im pretty sure someone (inc me ) could kick you up a GM type body in a wood of your choice.

Seems a bit of a waste of money if half the kit is total trash....YMMV.

What a great reply Gizmo, I might just take you up on the offer of a body, Ill deffo get one of those necks, it will save me hacking up a decent neck…

Edit, Wenge neck ordered
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll