Watches, Microbrands and Boutique

What's Hot
CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3000
edited February 19 in Off Topic
Just curios if anybody here is into so called microbrand or boutique watches.  These watches aren't always super expensive, yet alone expensive, in fact they can be found for as little as £50.  It's just that they are not mass produced, much like the British watchmaker Zero West - their most expensive watch is quite a bit cheaper than the cheapest Rolex.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 20
     , much like the British watchmaker Zero West - their most expensive watch is quite a bit cheaper than the cheapest Rolex.
    hmm and most of em on the first page, look like Casio's and  around £3k  quite a bit more expensive than an Omega

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11725
    Oooh no.  Definitely not for me I'm afraid.  And that was before I looked at the price...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28270
    Hmm. Not keen on those, but I like Minase, Farer, Marloes, and a few smaller brands. Oh, and Fears and Schofield. 

I had an invitation to the Anordain waiting list but they've cranked their prices. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • A neighbour is into microbrand and boutique watches, and collects them, it was him who put me onto Zero West.  From what little research I've done into them, I don't think I'd call them watchmakers, rather watch modders or customisers.  Sure, most of the big established brand of mechanical watches don't use their own in house movements - indeed I struggled to find a single Christopher Ward watch that makes use of their much hyped in house movement, and buy in and make use of a 3rd party's movement, though they tend to heavily customize these movements, if not have them made to standards well beyond brand engraving, from what I've seen of all these microbrand and boutique watchmakers, they all tend to to use mid to lower end mechanical movements, most commonly Seiko - nothing as good or accurate as +/- 2 seconds I thinks the best I've seen is +/- 4 seconds with +/- 40 seconds being the most common accuracy.  Surely these brands would be better classed as ''rehoused ''brand X'' movement'', or ''modded ''movement brand X'', rather than as a fully fledged watchmaker and brand - I know there is a huge market for modded Seiko 5.  Even Swatch design, manufacture and use their own in house movements, their automatic one is actually seriously impressive, especially when the end use cost is taken into account, not just the serious impressive game changing design of it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Even Swatch?

Swatch Group is the largest watch manufacturer in the world! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Even Swatch?

I know that the Swatch Group is the largest group of watch brands in the world, but Swatch itself under it's own brand designed a seriously impressive game changing automatic movement - I believe that it is made with 21 parts, and while not as accurate as +/-2 seconds a day - it might be as accurate as +/- 4 seconds a days though don't quote me, it's a shit load more accurate than the most common automatic movement used by microbrands and boutique watch makers witch is a Seiko movement with an accuracy of +/- 40 seconds a day
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18778
    Sporky said:
    Even Swatch?

How true  https://www.swatchgroup.com/en/brands-companies
    They also supply movements (ETA) for the majority of watches (quartz & automatic) that have Swiss movements.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Sporky said:
    Even Swatch?

I know that the Swatch Group is the largest group of watch brands in the world, but Swatch itself under it's own brand designed a seriously impressive game changing automatic movement - I believe that it is made with 21 parts, and while not as accurate as +/-2 seconds a day - it might be as accurate as +/- 4 seconds a days though don't quote me, it's a shit load more accurate than the most common automatic movement used by microbrands and boutique watch makers witch is a Seiko movement with an accuracy of +/- 40 seconds a day
    Except, isn’t it unserviceable and hence disposable. Not great really
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ^ I take it this is the Sistem 51 that is being discussed?
    https://twobrokewatchsnobs.com/swatch-sistem51-review-quality/
    edited February 25
    Also there were at least a dozen CW watches with the SH21 movement. It wasn't used more because it was very expensive, so it could only go into the upper end of the range. No SH21 watches on sale currently because the second version is in development.

If you want a properly impressive microbrand I'd suggest Habring2. Genuine in-house movements, with complications like dead best seconds, foudroyant dials, and more, from a tiny watchmaker.
    CavemanGrogg said:

the most common automatic movement used by microbrands and boutique watch makers witch is a Seiko movement with an accuracy of +/- 40 seconds a day
    Citation needed.

I'd make a modest wager that more use Selita than Seiko movements now. 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Seiko movements are used by a lot of modders but I’d say Selita or ETA are more commonly used in microbrands. 

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    Sporky said:
    Also there were at least a dozen CW watches with the SH21 movement. It wasn't used more because it was very expensive, so it could only go into the upper end of the range. No SH21 watches on sale currently because the second version is in development.

If you want a properly impressive microbrand I'd suggest Habring2. Genuine in-house movements, with complications like dead best seconds, foudroyant dials, and more, from a tiny watchmaker.
    I have visions of someone from a Hans Christian Anderson tale there, I hope I'm not gonna be disappointed. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How else do you think they get all those teeny-tiny screws and gears into place? 
  • PennPenn Frets: 621
    edited February 26
    Sporky said:
    How else do you think they get all those teeny-tiny screws and gears into place? 
    They have tiny magic imps that do it. They enslaved them years ago and keep the poor creatures locked in cages. They only let them out to work on the watches, there’s no health and safety in the factories so sometimes one of them gets injured. When that happens they just take them out the back and shoot them. 

IMG_9271.jpeg 575.2K
    Makes sense. Nobody likes imps. 
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    As a watch collector, it's the same as someone building a strat from strat parts.
    I like them.
    I'm on this mailing list and you do get some really cool ideas. https://microbrandwatchworld.com/

The only downside is follow on service and residuals. They suffer.

These guys do amazing things with Seiko parts; https://www.namokimods.com/en-gb ; I'm tempted myself.

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    edited February 26
    Penn said:
    Sporky said:
    They have tiny magic imps that do it. They enslaved them years ago and keep the poor creatures locked in cages. They only let them out to work on the watches, there’s no elfin safety in the factories so sometimes one of them gets injured. When that happens they just take them out the back and shoot them. 

FTFY 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 621
    Sporky said:
    Sporky why are you anti-imp? Did you have your heart broken by one once?

Penn said:
    Sporky said:
    They have tiny magic imps that do it. They enslaved them years ago and keep the poor creatures locked in cages. They only let them out to work on the watches, there’s no elfin safety in the factories so sometimes one of them gets injured. When that happens they just take them out the back and shoot them. 

FTFY 
    Thank goodness you corrected me. Thank you very much. 
    Penn said:
    Sporky said:
    Sporky why are you anti-imp? Did you have your heart broken by one once?

Penn said:
    Sporky said:

FTFY 
    Thank goodness you corrected me. Thank you very much. 
    You are most welcome. I was just attempting in vain to resuscitate a long dead gag...  ;)