Dune Part One

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
Any good?

I loved the Bladerunners if that's any help

I watched the 1st 5 minutes but I don't know if I can take a whole movie of that guy's chin
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Lol. 
    Read Herbert and watch Lynch.
    Come back. 
    Yes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s ok… but only half a movie.. and frustrating for that… so wait till you can watch both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    It’s ok… but only half a movie.. and frustrating for that… so wait till you can watch both.
    1/3rd of a movie…I thought it was half too!

i like it, slow burn but I really enjoyed it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340

Come back.
    Especially, read the book. If you don't, there's a huge amount in the film that will go over your head because it assumes a good understanding of the background concepts and doesn't waste time explaining it all ad nauseam. (Which is one of the good things about it.)

Watching the Lynch film might help a fair bit, but it's in a sideways direction from the book compared to the new film.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 638
    edited February 22
    I liked the old one, it was weird and cool. The new one wasn't either really imo.
    I mean it's not bad. 

More for the sci-fi nerds.

Then again if you liked the new blade runner... 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    ICBM said:

Come back.
    Especially, read the book. If you don't, there's a huge amount in the film that will go over your head because it assumes a good understanding of the background concepts and doesn't waste time explaining it all ad nauseam. (Which is one of the good things about it.)

Watching the Lynch film might help a fair bit, but it's in a sideways direction from the book compared to the new film.
    I never read the book but watched some video about the story, re the family/throne/planets/etc that helped a lot.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12325
    It's getting bumped off Netflix on the 1st of March so hurry up dear boy
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Beneficial if you have read the book, still a great work of modern sci-fi if you haven't. If you like the new Blade Runner you'll like this; even if it is only the first half.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    I've never read the book but I enjoyed the movie very much. Looking forward to part 2. (Well worth viewing on a large cinema screen).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 638
    edited February 22
    Kurtis said:
    I liked the old one, it was weird and cool. The new one wasn't either really imo.

More for the sci-fi nerds.

Then again if you liked the new blade runner... 
    Forgot the Highland piper...that was a bit weird. 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    It’s ok… but only half a movie.. and frustrating for that… so wait till you can watch both.
    1/3rd of a movie…I thought it was half too!

i like it, slow burn but I really enjoyed it.
    It’s half the first book. ‘Part 3’ is going to be the Dune Messhiah book
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    Oddly I thought the Lynch film did a better job of explaining things that are important in the book - but it’s an impressive film nonetheless. I’d have missed a fair few things if I didn’t already know them from the book. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
    It's good but not great. The book's terrific.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18759
    I'd advise reading the book first... or maybe just do that & ignore the films  ;)
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4097
    I thought it was a yawn fest with poor character development. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    It’s beautiful to look at but it drags.

I will be watching part 2 but then I hope some YouTuber will do a fan edit and cut an hour from the combined films.

So far I prefer the Lynch version.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1485
    I liked the pugs 
  • Big Dune fan but I am struggling with Timothee Chalamet
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    TimmyO said:

It’s half the first book. ‘Part 3’ is going to be the Dune Messhiah book
    Dune Messiah is a lot shorter so that would make sense. Children Of Dune could probably be two films as well, I think - in length it’s somewhere between the two, but from memory a bit more complex than Messiah.

I’ve just bought myself a new copy of the trilogy… I was tempted to get the classic original paperbacks, but they seem to be worth quite a bit now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    I read Part One of the book prior to watching the film. I thought the film was poor. Paul is supposed to be something special yet Timothée Chalet portrayed nothing of the kind. Among other things, I was also annoyed they missed integral stuff out, like stuff with Dr Yeuh (no spoilers). In short, the book is nuanced; the film is not.

Anyway, I left the book for a while and started to re-read it a few weeks ago; partly because I want to know what happens, and partly so I can watch Part Two of the film.  I'm now on Part Two of the book and it's beginning to irritate me. Yeah, it's a really detailed novel in a way that you could believe it actually happened. But I feel like I'm the donkey, and whatever Paul is is the carrot, and were spending an age traipsing a dessert trying to find out what he's all about. I may persevere, but I'm getting to the point were I don't care. I'll probably watch the next instalment though as it's got Florence Pugh in it.