Dune Part One

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2997
    edited March 5
    The watches from the movie are quite interesting - Ventura XXL Bright Dune Limited Edition and the Ventura Edge Dune Limited Edition, the neighbour pointed them out to me, they're not for me, but you can see they where heavily influenced by Elvis's watch, though close to £2k and even over £2k for a watch with a quartz movement though.

Hamilton do seem to have some serious watch product placement shit going on... 
    https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-us/filter-by/movie-watches.html

In my opinion, as somebody who owns a number of expensive luxury watches, though has no interest in watches beyond them being a quicker and more discrete way for me to check the time, compared to pulling a phone out of my pocket.  I really think that Hamilton are starting to become a ''fashion brand'' of watches.  Take the humble ''field watch'' for example, perhaps the first brand that comes to mind when people think of ''field watches'' is Hamilton, and indeed it is the most famous/iconic of all of Hamilton's watch models, in fact it would not be inaccurate to say that the Khaki Field Watch - what the model is called nowadays, is the watch model that made Hamilton the brand it is today, and gave them the reputation that they have, yet considering the price of both the quartz and automatic versions, and especially their waterproof rating, the fact that they don't have a screw down crown is beyond a ridiculous stupid design decision. 

Now after saying the above, the watches Hamilton have made for the Dune movie, have been getting some seriously good reviews by watch collectors, something that has really surprised me, I've yet to read or see a negative review on either model.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10211
    Wow that was incredible. Maybe one of the best sci fi films I've ever seen, as someone who loves Sci Fi.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    Only slightly off topic for this thead...

Can anyone recommend a good audiobook version? I don't mind if it is a bit abridged if it doesn't cut too much.

As always though - the right voice is vital. I tried some audiobooks read by Nigel Planer and I just wanted to sleep!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10211

Can anyone recommend a good audiobook version? I don't mind if it is a bit abridged if it doesn't cut too much.

As always though - the right voice is vital. I tried some audiobooks read by Nigel Planer and I just wanted to sleep!
    I've got two options, Joe Pasquale or the Nan from Catherine Tate. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421

On Audible you can download a sample and even then one of the drop-down reasons for returning a book is that you didn’t like the narrator 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:

On Audible you can download a sample and even then one of the drop-down reasons for returning a book is that you didn’t like the narrator 
    I had no idea they were even returnable!

That's ace. Thank you.
    I've listened to 5 mins of a version on Audible and it sounds good to my ears.

Job done!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    edited March 6
    Saw part 2 yesterday (a mid morning IMAX that was almost empty) - loved it. Didn’t mind the little diversions - it was brilliantly told story and visually and aurally epic 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22835

Job done!
    And who is the narrator?
    Philly_Q said:

Job done!
    And who is the narrator?
    Narrated by Scott Brick, Orlagh Cassidy, Euan Morton, Simon Vance, Ilyana Kadushin, Byron Jennings, David R. Gordon, Jason Culp, Kent Broadhurst, Oliver Wyman, Patricia Kilgarriff, Scott Sowers

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited March 8
    I’ve bought the (first) novel to read for the first time..… it’s long overdue. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22835
    edited March 8
    Philly_Q said:

Job done!
    And who is the narrator?
    Narrated by Scott Brick, Orlagh Cassidy, Euan Morton, Simon Vance, Ilyana Kadushin, Byron Jennings, David R. Gordon, Jason Culp, Kent Broadhurst, Oliver Wyman, Patricia Kilgarriff, Scott Sowers
    Oh wow, so it's acted out, in effect?  I confess I have never heard an audiobook...
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

Job done!
    And who is the narrator?
    Oh wow, so it's acted out, in effect?  I confess I have never heard an audiobook...
    They vary a lot. Sometimes just a reader, sometimes voices reading dialogue and a narrator for the description, and sometimes a full radio dramatisation.

There’s great and rubbish versions of each type! 

I listen to a lot of them. Train journeys, car trips etc.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    Just back from the cinema after watching part 2. I’ve never seen a film in IMAX before so it was a new experience. Those saying it was loud are not wrong! It enjoyed it very much, really pretty to look at and it didn’t feel like three hours, which is usually a good sign.
    It's still not available for sale on Google, which really upsets me, the latest Batman movie was available to purchase within 2 weeks of it's cinema release date.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1487
    Its almost as if the producers/director wants you to see it in the cinema.
    edited March 9
    euan said:
    Its almost as if the producers/director wants you to see it in the cinema.

LOL True, we haven't watched the first part yet, we bought it the day it was released on Google Play, we've been putting off watching it until this one was released, so we can watch them both back to back.  We've seen the one with Sting in it dozens of times.  Not to mention that our closest cinema is a 20 mile round trip, and it's not IMAX - hence us seriously considering setting up a projector system at home which is not cheap actually it's bloody expensive.
    I suspect it will be several months before it’s available for download.

Well, mostly.