Dune Part One

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18758
    Dune 2, almost 3 hour runtime. I'd be looking to be catheterised, or I'd be likely to be guilty of pissing off/on my neighbours...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    bit late but... I liked it, but didn't really get the bit about the rug. Yes, it held the room together but wasn't really integral to the plot. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4986
    edited March 2
    It was excellent.... and incredible visually. Has to be seen on the big screen, and the sounds are loud!

Agreed.

And certainly looks like we will be waiting for Dune Part 3?

Arrakis is still a desert planet. Paul is not yet the Kwizatz Haderach. Rebechah is not yet born. If there isn't a part 3 it's the laziest storytelling ever!

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2996
    edited March 2
    The watches from the movie are quite interesting - Ventura XXL Bright Dune Limited Edition and the Ventura Edge Dune Limited Edition, the neighbour pointed them out to me, they're not for me, but you can see they where heavily influenced by Elvis's watch, though close to £2k and even over £2k for a watch with a quartz movement though.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1485
    Absolutely captivating in IMAX.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22831
    The watches from the movie are quite interesting - Ventura XXL Bright Dune Limited Edition and the Ventura Edge Dune Limited Edition, the neighbour pointed them out to me, they're not for me, but you can see they where heavily influenced by Elvis's watch, though close to £2k and even over £2k for a watch with a quartz movement though.
    Would they have a 24-hour day on Arrakis?
    Philly_Q said:
    Would they have a 24-hour day on Arrakis?

I'm not sure, I think from memory, though don't quote me on it,that Arrakis either does have a 24 hour days or is very close to it.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18758

Hamilton do seem to have some serious watch product placement shit going on... 
    https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-us/filter-by/movie-watches.html

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4986

Look like cheap tat to me, but each to their own...
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Look like cheap tat to me, but each to their own...

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on these watches.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    It was excellent.... and incredible visually. Has to be seen on the big screen, and the sounds are loud!

Agreed.

SNIP

So it’s still not caught up with the Lynch film?

FFS!
  • Watched Part Two last night - fully lived up to the expectations. Found it completely gripping from start to finish, never felt my attention wandering at all despite it being such a long film. For me I actually thought it was marginally better than the first part.

Added bonus was that I deliberately controlled my fluid intake all yesterday afternoon and ended up not not needing to run to the loo in the middle of it. Result!  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    I rewatched Part 1 a few days ago ready for part 2 this week!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72340
    littlegreenman said:

Arrakis is still a desert planet.

I would expect it to be - it doesn't get transformed until well into Children Of Dune, so Part 4 or even Part 5 (if there is one).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    ICBM said:
    littlegreenman said:

Arrakis is still a desert planet.

I would expect it to be - it doesn't get transformed until well into Children Of Dune, so Part 4 or even Part 5 (if there is one).
    Ditto. Can't wait.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4632
    I watched part one for probably the 3rd time last night. It did not grip me in the same way as watching, LOTRs or blade runner or 5th Element does on repeat watching.

Agreed.

SNIP

FFS!
    No it has. But also deviated.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    euan said:

Agreed.

SNIP

FFS!
    No it has. But also deviated.
    Ok - I'm deciding whether to go and see it or wait for streaming.

I very rarely go to the cinema so it has to be something that would be kind of equal to Hendrix coming back from the dead and doing a single show.

If it's not that then I wait.

I have not read the books so I don't have the baggage, but also don't have the knowledge of what is missing from the overall story.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    edited March 4
    Mentally loud in Imax - glad I had earplugs !

For a 3hr film, seemed very rushed (Jessica not had baby before the big showdown), and a strange abrupt ending. Gen Z feelies were a bit of a drag, but overall I enjoyed it - great spectacle in Imax.

Sandworms coming through at the end did remind me of ....
    ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    Mentally loud in Imax - glad I had earplugs !

For a 3hr film, seemed very rushed (Jessica not had baby before the big showdown), and a strange abrupt ending. Gen Z feelies were a bit of a drag, but overall I enjoyed it - great spectacle in Imax.

Sandworms coming through at the end did remind me of ....
    ;)
    I’d argue the changes were good. Lynch showed how much of a mess the baby/toddler Reverend Mother is to do in a film. The old ways/ways was done well because it showed the power and depth of planning the Bene Gesserit have, the tension between the old and new ways, tools of colonialism and creating more to Chani’s character beyond “but he is my man”. It was a good end to demonstrate the pace of Paul’s Holy War/Jihad, his path has just started.