Gibson Garage, London...

What's Hot

Comments

• RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 235
    munckee said:
    Boromedic said:
    munckee said:
    I went there yesterday, for the first time ever I saw some guitar tshirts I quite liked - but they were £54.  I was also stood on my own looking at the murphy lab stuff and a security guard walked round the corner and stared at me while holding his ear like an FBI agent and said "yes, I've got eyes on him now." he could have only meant me so why I aroused suspicion I don't know.
    They must know you prefer Teles? ;)
    I was mainly thinking how awesome a fender equivalent shop would be.
    Thought police!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 933
    edited April 10
    I popped in there this afternoon and had a play on three Murphy Labs guitars - a '59 LP relic, a '60 LP and an slightly aged dot 335. All felt really lovely guitars to play and the guy serving me was helpful and friendly.
    I say "felt" because it appeared the only option to hear was through headphones from a Mesa Boogie combo amp, which was very underwhelming experience for such expensive guitars. I found it impossible to get a real clean tone at any decent volume...i.e. one that could drown out the loud music playing over the store's sound system!

Plenty of T-shirts which seemed to range in price from about £20 to £69 if you feel like splashing out for the cool looking aged licked-by-kittens ones.
    Some nice truckers caps which were pretty reasonable from £14.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23037
    AlbertC said:
    Plenty of T-shirts which seemed to range in price from about £20 to £69 if you feel like splashing out for the cool looking aged licked-by-kittens ones.
    If they're American sizes there's probably nothing small enough to fit me.  Which removes temptation...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14332
    tFB Trader
    AlbertC said:

Can you buy ‘aged t-shirts’
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 725
    Offset said:
    munckee said:
    Sporky said:
    munckee said:
    I went there yesterday, for the first time ever I saw some guitar tshirts I quite liked - but they were £54.  I was also stood on my own looking at the murphy lab stuff and a security guard walked round the corner and stared at me while holding his ear like an FBI agent and said "yes, I've got eyes on him now." he could have only meant me so why I aroused suspicion I don't know.
    S'probbly because you're so pretty. 
    I remember some american chaps in the deep south commenting on how pretty my mouth was, which I thought was jolly kind of them.
    Was this in a place called Deliverance?
    Aw man, that movie was so messed up!!

I mean, surely if you're going to get into that kind of thing you wait for Burt Reynolds to come down the river?
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    Philly_Q said:
    AlbertC said:
    If they're American sizes there's probably nothing small enough to fit me.  Which removes temptation...
    bet they do kid's ones
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    Sounds like a Bullshit shop to me
    All these 'branded ' type shops are bullshit .........the minute you can buy a T shirt/cap etc you know they are simply peddling bullshit to gullible people .....whether it's guitars ,sport, motor, etc
    Harley Davidson are the 2 wheel equiv of Gibson in the 'good 'ol USA fashion ' .....their stock listing is a fasion merchandise Co. not a Motorcycle Co as the Revenue generated is principally from clothing, key-rings and general tat like a Harley Dartboard !! ....not V-twin Motorcycles .........Sad
    That Gibson shop is actually an Americana Nostalgia Store 
    Go give them your money..........
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11942
    Kurtis said:
    Offset said:
    munckee said:
    Sporky said:
    munckee said:
    I remember some american chaps in the deep south commenting on how pretty my mouth was, which I thought was jolly kind of them.

I mean, surely if you're going to get into that kind of thing you wait for Burt Reynolds to come down the river?
    You may want to rephrase that.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 849
    edited April 10
    Now stocking....

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23037
    AlbertC said:

Can you buy ‘aged t-shirts’
    You can.  I've got this in a "vintage" finish.

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 725
    edited April 10
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:
    Offset said:
    munckee said:
    Sporky said:
    munckee said:

You may want to rephrase that.
    I thought it was funny 

(it's actually a joke stollen from Who is Cletis Tout) 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2181
    Dominic said:
    All these 'branded ' type shops are bullshit .........the minute you can buy a T shirt/cap etc you know they are simply peddling bullshit to gullible people .....whether it's guitars ,sport, motor, etc
    Harley Davidson are the 2 wheel equiv of Gibson in the 'good 'ol USA fashion ' .....their stock listing is a fasion merchandise Co. not a Motorcycle Co as the Revenue generated is principally from clothing, key-rings and general tat like a Harley Dartboard !! ....not V-twin Motorcycles .........Sad
    Have a Gaviscon, mate…
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    It provides an opportunity to go and try out some very fabulous guitars from an iconic brand and it’ll cost you absolutely nothing. There were all sorts in there from old fellas like me to teenage kids loving it. 
    Why not actually try going there and experience it first before cynically slagging it off from your armchair? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10593
    tFB Trader
    AlbertC said:
    Dominic said:
    It provides an opportunity to go and try out some very fabulous guitars from an iconic brand and it’ll cost you absolutely nothing. There were all sorts in there from old fellas like me to teenage kids loving it. 
    Why not actually try going there and experience it first before cynically slagging it off from your armchair? 
    Hummm ... trying out something I almost certainly can't afford - with headphones - surrounded by old fellas and teenage kids - 
    nah ... sounds like medieval torture. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    I wonder if they hold private viewings where you can turn up to 11 and rock out?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11956
    I'd like to see a shop with lots of high-end amplifiers from different manufacturers.
    Does such a thing exist?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28649
    AlbertC said:
    Dominic reposes upon an antique chaise longue, made from mahogany and fine Italian leather, not a mere common armchair. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4730
    I imagine that the headphones are used in order to avoid noise issues from the neighbours above and to the side.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    Sporky said:
    AlbertC said:
    Dominic reposes upon an antique chaise longue, made from mahogany and fine Italian leather, not a mere common armchair. 
    no wonder he doesn't get out much then  ;)
    AlbertC said:
    Dominic said:
    Hummm ... trying out something I almost certainly can't afford - with headphones - surrounded by old fellas and teenage kids - 
    nah ... sounds like medieval torture. 
    Well I can't afford a Ferrari but I wouldn't necessarily turn down the opportunity to sit in one or have a short test drive. 
    Yeah, the environment isn't the best but you get to hold these guitars and see how they feel and look up close, so if I was thinking of buying a Gibson (most likely from another place) it's useful knowledge to have.