Eon: Anyone know what this is and why it's in my meter housing?

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28206
    snowblind said:
    Any chance the house was being used as a weed farm in days gone by?
    Unlikely it was a successful one, with that many snails. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    We recently had a small circular drain replaced outside our house and out on the pavement, and the water guys explained the new design would allow for a Water Meter to be attached without disturbing the household or entering the house.. I said ''I don't want a Water Meter' and it was explained to me that we're in a 'water stressed area' and I'd have no choice. Physically obstructing  the work would result in the Police being called out.

The intention is to install these soon, monitor your water usage and compare the cost to your previous bi-annual charges in the hope it educates you in how much you use. The Water Meter billing wouldn't start until January 2025.

Sorry for the boring response and no aliens were harmed in this explanation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Kebabkid said:
    We recently had a small circular drain replaced outside our house and out on the pavement, and the water guys explained the new design would allow for a Water Meter to be attached without disturbing the household or entering the house.. I said ''I don't want a Water Meter' and it was explained to me that we're in a 'water stressed area' and I'd have no choice. Physically obstructing  the work would result in the Police being called out.

The intention is to install these soon, monitor your water usage and compare the cost to your previous bi-annual charges in the hope it educates you in how much you use. The Water Meter billing wouldn't start until January 2025.

Sorry for the boring response and no aliens were harmed in this explanation.
    I was walking Captain Barky yesterday and there was a man lying in the middle of the road. I recognised him, he lives in the house next to the park gate and was near his own house. Turned out he was fine and was trying to read his water meter. He said that he’d had a water meter installed last year and his water costs had doubled since so he was trying to read the meter. Under a flap in the road about a foot down was indeed a meter. But the dials were all misted up so he couldn’t actually read it and check his bill. 
    We were told years ago that our houses can’t have water meters (his house is of the same era as ours)so this was news to me. From what he said it hadn’t been his choice. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 233
    The thing with the water meters is a bit rich considering most of the losses are from lousy pipework in the mains supply.
    Couple that with massive underinvestment in the treatment infrastructure ( in the name of keeping the shareholders happy) and here we are.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    snowblind said:
    The thing with the water meters is a bit rich considering most of the losses are from lousy pipework in the mains supply.
    Couple that with massive underinvestment in the treatment infrastructure ( in the name of keeping the shareholders happy) and here we are.
    Yeah - but the shareholders have drawn a collective 75 billion over the last 30 years so it's all good...

oh wait. There's no money left for repairs or development.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah - but the shareholders have drawn a collective 75 billion over the last 30 years so it's all good...

oh wait. There's no money left for repairs or development.
    Isn't there someone here who usually comes in and says it's impossible for the water companies to do what they're meant to because there's no money? 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7226
    The road I travel on to go to and return from work every night has had a burst pipe and water has been pouring down the hill for more than a week while they had the hole in the road coned off.  Were they waiting for spare parts to fix the leak, or for a slow-moving work order to go ahead and fix it, or did they just forget to return after they dug the hole?  God alone knows why so many of these mains leaks are left with water flooding from them for so long, but it's really annoying to see while so many people are deliberately being frugal with their water usage.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6813
    I love our water meter - it means i can check-
    a) how much water is leaking on my side of the meter (None as we were away for a week and none was used)
    b) how much more water the family use in the shower than i do! As its shown by the hour its easy to work out who the worst offender is!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited March 7
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sold by thecabalofsnails, I note. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 620
  • PennPenn Frets: 620
    @Sporky - thinking about this do you think when the snails are told they might split into two groups? The believers and the eBayers? Could there be a holy war over it?
  • euaneuan Frets: 1487
    mrkb said:
    I love our water meter - it means i can check-
    a) how much water is leaking on my side of the meter (None as we were away for a week and none was used)
    b) how much more water the family use in the shower than i do! As it’s shown by the hour it’s easy to work out who the worst offender is!

I read a study this morning. Apparently higher water pressure results in less water usage and short showers. 
    Penn said:
    @Sporky - thinking about this do you think when the snails are told they might split into two groups? The believers and the eBayers? Could there be a holy war over it?
    That doesn't bear thinking about! 

Man was not meant to know the mind of the snail. 
    Jinkies - is the Badger Hegemony in on this too? 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18761
    Badgers. This isn't going to end well for the snails.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Slightly off topic - may I ask what people have against smart meters? 
    I can't see any drawbacks myself.

Anywho nice Snail collection - some real rare examples you don't often see.
    Badgers. This isn't going to end well for the snails.
    It's not going to end well for any of us. The last engagement between the Badger Hegemony and the Snail Kingdom ended the dinosaurs!