Reversing a Soundport

What's Hot
I have seen a classical guitar for sale that has what appears to be a DIY sound port.I'm awaiting a response from the seller to see if it has any reinforcement, was it done professionally (it doesn't look it) etc.What I'd like to know is, can a skilled luthier reverse the process? i.e. fit a close matching piece of circular, curved indian rosewood and plug the hole in an aestethically pleasing way.Has anyone on here attempted it.The guitar is a traditional classical guitar some 30 years old and whilst a sound hole may improve the sound/volume to the player ,it's not to my taste.TIA for any enlightenment and apologies if it's a no no and stupid question.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27600
    It wouldn't be an easy task to do structurally (matching the shape and curve), so expect expensive, unless it was a simple bodge job with (eg) a piece of thin veneer.

And what might be "aesthetically pleasing" to whoever took on the task might not tick your box - so there's a risk that the outcome wouldn't be what you'd hope for.

Unless it was particularly valuable and worthy of reinstatement, I'd move on and find another ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    It will be visible no matter how good the luthier is. It's extremely hard to match wood under clear, plus the patch would be on a curved surface and the port would need rerouting (again, on a curved surface) or carving. 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16703
    invisible likely won't happen without a solid finish. 

It would either need a decorative fix, or maybe a removable port cover is a better solution.  I'd avoid if it looks dodgy already
  • Thanks for your replies. The owner has since got back to me to say the port was professionally done by his father who was a luthier. It’s a middle to top end instrument ( solid woods) at a great price so I might arrange to view it. I wasn’t aware that you could get sound port covers which seems a good compromise.My intuition was telling me a patch or filler would be a tricky and expensive process and I’m grateful for your input.
  • MARVlNMARVlN Frets: 108
    If it helps at all, this video gives an idea of the process of blocking up a sound port (and is a good relaxing watch anyway - Ted's great):

• MARVlN said:
    If it helps at all, this video gives an idea of the process of blocking up a sound port (and is a good relaxing watch anyway - Ted's great):

Very interesting, would definitely be doable in the right hands. Thanks for posting, I’ve watched a few guitar tech/ restoration videos and always find them interesting. Pity this one had a bad ending