Getting Rid of Amazon Prime...

What's Hot

Comments

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 744
    edited March 2
    Generally an Amazon and Amazon Prime fan but they certainly ruined Prime Music last year. Searching for a specific track only generated similar tracks , not the actual track. Prior to that Prime Music was my go-to free music source but now it's You Tube Music which is very good actually (you can skip most adverts after a few seconds as a rule).

I think the background to all this is shareholder pressure for returns and therefore a greater effort by most of the big US companies to monetise their brands. The initial period of development and shareholders being willing to wait for profits is well and truly over. We should feel lucky that we had so much good stuff for free for a few years. Now it's pay time!

Don't forget the free monthly audiobook with Prime! (And to return it each month).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12332
    Some decent movies and docs but you have to search for them, the shittest interface on smart TV, they used to have a "free to me" button which they've fucked off for some reason and now half the shit you think is free is pay to view. 

Some have some good obscure exploitation movies but they never get bumped up into the menu system. Probably more interesting stuff on freevee to be honest.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    edited March 2
    There are some good stuff to watch now and again, but it’s a bonus as I got it for delivery.  I also share it with my sister.  Years ago you can share between 4 people, you add their email address to the main account and then they get all the benefits.  That feature got removed about 10 years ago but if that person is still on it, they still get it.
  • SteppedOutSteppedOut Frets: 35
    I sacked it off when I got an email saying they were putting ads on prime video 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3456
    I had a leak in my kitchen yesterday,washing machine hose joiner thingy let go, Amazon will deliver a new one today, 7 stops away, cost me 4 quid, sometimes you just cant fault Amazon at times like this.

Driving to screwfix would have taken an hour or so sound trip and a load of diesel, my floor is pretty much ruined though, so there is that.

I forgot about Rings of Power, its brilliant, new season this year too.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    robgilmo said:
    Now you've reminded me of that, I might cancel after all....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    robgilmo said:
    I had a leak in my kitchen yesterday,washing machine hose joiner thingy let go, Amazon will deliver a new one today, 7 stops away, cost me 4 quid, sometimes you just cant fault Amazon at times like this.

Driving to screwfix would have taken an hour or so sound trip and a load of diesel, my floor is pretty much ruined though, so there is that.

I forgot about Rings of Power, it’s brilliant, new season this year too.
    Oh yeah, often I work out how much fuel it cost to get it today vs tomorrow with free delivery.

if you live in London and Birmingham you can get it same day, within 2 hours.  (Or at least used to)
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7328
    I haven't missed it since the thread I made saying I was cancelling. I realised I've basically been pre-paying £100 for a year's worth of postage that I assume I'll need. In reality I don't need it, I was just trying to get use out of it by buying shit I didn't really need for a higher price than I could get it elsewhere.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1074
    edited March 2
    Don't understand the fuss about Amazon. Whenever I've been tempted to buy something there, 100% of the time I've found them much cheaper on eBay...and with free delivery. No hassle returns either.

Amazon treat their drivers and warehouse workers like shite as well. It's well documented. I'm not gonna be complicit in that while making Bezos richer at the same time. 
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    I dropped Prime a couple of years ago. I never used the TV or Music services and try and avoid buying anything from them, so it was a total waste of money really. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    I use Amazon when I can't find something or if what they're selling works out cheaper than elsewhere. Okay, I might not be helping "save the high street" in these instances but I need to help my own finances wherever I can.

In terms of Prime delivery I can see the appeal. But there's nothing I need that urgently, so I opt for free delivery and it arrives when it arrives. There's nothing on Prime TV that I feel as though I need to watch either.

Overall, Prime is mostly useless to me.
    I think "saving the high street" is a lost cause.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11765
    Anyone know any trusted, cheap vinyl sellers on eBay (new stuff)?

Discovered Rarewaves who often have great deals on - but could do with a couple of reliable sellers.

Anyone else remember the golden age of DVD and getting all your new releases from Play.com?  That was so much fun.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 221
    I have set my auto renewal to off. I will probably miss it but it's easy enough to sigh up for and there aren't any loyalty benefits.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    Philly_Q said:
    I think "saving the high street" is a lost cause.
    I've tried many times. Needed some plasterboard Fixings yesterday; the DIY shop in the village (motto being 'we probably have it') yet again didn't have it.

Twelve minutes further away is a Toolstation. Bought online, collected, home.

The high street was poisoned years ago by business rates rising beyond reason. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited March 2
    Anyone else remember the golden age of DVD and getting all your new releases from Play.com?  That was so much fun.
    I used to have a list of probably 50+ retailers around the world that I'd order DVDs from.  Play was one of the first, and remember CD WOW in Hong Kong?  They were great.  And there were many places in the USA of course, Australia, Italy, Spain, Canada, France, Germany, Austria, I even ordered from Russia a couple of times.  Nearly all those retailers have gone now.

Now I often order direct from the distributors like Arrow, Second Sight and Severin.  You couldn't do that in those days.
    Anyone know any trusted, cheap vinyl sellers on eBay (new stuff)?

Discovered Rarewaves who often have great deals on - but could do with a couple of reliable sellers.

Trusted and EBay arnt words I would put together, its an auction site so distant selling regulations dont work, you are at the mercy of Ebay and your word against theirs.

I lost all faith in EBay when they made bidders ID's private, this allowed shill bidding to go unoticed. PayPal are not a bank although they act like one but without the same regulation, 

I use Amazon or Discoggs for vinyl, I bought too many useless vinyl (even new) from EBay and got stung by it.
    People like HMV still sell vinyl.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3000
    robgilmo said:

You can see. especially with how Amazon handles their deliveries, why Alan Bates - the postmaster, has recently been calling for the Royal Mail/Post office to be sold off to Amazon for £1.00 in the press recently.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    Some of our Amazon stuff is brought by the postie. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:

You can see. especially with how Amazon handles their deliveries, why Alan Bates - the postmaster, has recently been calling for the Royal Mail/Post office to be sold off to Amazon for £1.00 in the press recently.
    I think for parcel delivery they are great, they really nailed it, RM just couldnt compete, then the likes of Hermes or whatever they are called nowadays are just a joke.