Getting Rid of Amazon Prime...

What's Hot

Comments

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3040
    maharg101 said:
    I won't use Amazon for my own purchases.

I'm required to use AWS (Amazon Web Services) as part of my work, so that's my only interaction with them.

We're the same in my household, we'd rather pay a bit more and buy from elsewhere, for everything except books, we do use Amazon, along with the manufacturer of the products own website to get an idea of pricing, but we refuse to buy anything from Amazon except for books, which are extremely hard and have an extremely limited selection to choose from and buy from anywhere else nowadays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 708
    we refuse to buy anything from Amazon except for books, which are extremely hard and have an extremely limited selection to choose from and buy from anywhere else nowadays.
    Depends on the books in question I guess, but Hive and World of Books (second hand) works well for me 
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28653
    robgilmo said:
    Amazon load their drivers up with so many parcels that they are pressed to get through it all
    Which means they can't take breaks without being penalised! Which means that they effectively do not get breaks. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11860
    maharg101 said:
    we refuse to buy anything from Amazon except for books, which are extremely hard and have an extremely limited selection to choose from and buy from anywhere else nowadays.
    Depends on the books in question I guess, but Hive and World of Books (second hand) works well for me 
    World of books are great.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3565
    Philly_Q said:
    robgilmo said:
    And why are we all of a sudden shining light on Amazon? A large proportion of employers in the UK treat their workers like shit.
    Purely because it's a thread about Amazon, I'd imagine.
    Lol, Oh, yeah, my bad. :0)
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3565
    Sporky said:
    robgilmo said:
    Amazon load their drivers up with so many parcels that they are pressed to get through it all
    Which means they can't take breaks without being penalised! Which means that they effectively do not get breaks. 
    They do get breaks, I am not sure if they get penalised for not getting their route finished though. The vans are tracked and if there isnt enough time there isnt enough time, its not like they have been parked outside a mates house all evening.

I dunno though, it could be me putting myself in their situation, I would be taking breaks and stopping for a wee if I needed to, and if they didnt like it then it is what it is.
    I've worked for a lot of arseholes in the past and there comes a point when you just say bollocks, enough is enough and you move on.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3040
    maharg101 said:

maharg101 said:
    World of books are great.

Not for the types of books that we read, we read mainly classics - yes the classics that people piss and moan about rich kids getting taught at school and politicians having studied, and while Penguin have an alright selection - I'm not talking about the likes of Joyce, Wilde, Dickens, Doyle and Stevenson, or even Shakespeare I'm talking about things like the works of Asser the monk, Wu Cheng'en, Apollonius of Tyana and such, are relatively affordable and available, the sort of books we tend to read, even before the advent of ebooks where both extremely difficult to find and very very expensive, now these books are not just widely available because of ebooks, they're also affordable - even free at places like Project Gutenberg in a lot of cases, where as today if we can find them from other sources than Amazon/kindle - we like the user interface so are happy to pay for them than to download free versions plus a lot of the books we read have artwork in them even maps and the quality just isn't there especially for old maps with the free versions, they are even more expensive than they where 20 years ago - well above inflation I'm talking books that would cost me 1-200 each in the 90's costing 100 times that nowadays, even secondhand, and we;re not the sort of people that collect first editions or signed books - hell first editions of the type of books we read are in museums or very very exclusive private collections and known signed copies are classed as national treasures.  We do read stuff that is more modern, but rarely.

The girlfriend and I actually met at a private library in the house of an author that is featured/published as part of the Penguin Classics series of books.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26727
    To be honest, it's actually still worth it for the better delivery options for me - I usually develop a need for something at the very last moment, so having same day/next day shipping is a must on a weekly basis. The video, however, sucks balls - just like Netflix, the in-browser quality is awful and plain not worth it.

As an aside, if anybody has any Twitch subscriptions, there's an option to subscribe to one channel via Prime for free - which, if you're a regular follower of a given channel, is £48/year anyway. For me, that relegates the video service to "meh, don't care" even for the stuff that we do watch.
    <space for hire>
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Hadn’t realised about the ads until last night when I sat down to watch a film.   Fuck that.  

Now trying to justify keeping prime for the delivery and for the football nights.   I expect the football will end up being an extra charge before long, so I’ll bin it all off then. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Never had Prime so don't miss it.
    It's got nothing for me. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18936
    *snip*

The girlfriend and I actually met at a private library in the house of an author that is featured/published as part of the Penguin Classics series of books.
    Is her name Miss Scarlet?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Morrissey?
    Interesting to hear the various perspectives.

Pros

Delivery service still good.
    Twitch Prime
    Prime Gaming is OK
    Prime Reading... if you can find it...
    Morrisons Deliveries

Cons

Price rises (prime from 49 to 79 to 95, same day delivery, Morrisons).
    Sodding ads on Prime Video.
    None of the above as good as they were.
    Prime Music service was ruined.
    No magazines on prime reading any more.
    Evil

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23046
    Regarding the ads, I watched a film last night, and there were ads, but only at the start.  If they start inserting them mid-film then I might have a rethink.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 340
    I didn’t renew at the start of February, so far haven’t missed it. I do want to watch the Donald Glover Mr and Mrs Smith at some point so may go back for a month down the line. 

I found the stuff for sale on Amazon was increasingly less competitively priced and also a headache avoiding fakes (had fake batteries and a fake SD card through Amazon, products fulfilled by Amazon and from the Amazon warehouse). 

We used to have our cat food delivered on a subscribe and save thing on Prime. When we needed some more cat food recently I took my two year old to Pets at Home to get some. He had a brilliant time and keeps asking to go back to the pet shop. Makes me wonder what other experiences he would have had with similar things had Amazon not been more convenient (going to the diy shop, for instance). 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23046
    edited March 3
    One Amazon (not Prime) feature I don't think we've mentioned - the Kindle.  I'm very fond of mine, it's convenient and it saves me having to add even more to the clutter in my flat.  Presumably there are other eReader devices available, but I don't know if their downloadable content is compatible with each other.
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 340
    Anybody complaining about the Netflix and Amazon Prime Video interfaces needs to go and spend some time with ITV-X and BBC I Player.
    As far as Amazon Prime goes, I use it if I can't what I want locally at a reasonable price (I'll pay over the Amazon price within reason even If I have to drive to get it, more money in local pockets means those people have more money to spend locally also) without using other large firms (tescos, wickes etc etc). I get it free with my phone contract but otherwise I would do the same as I do with netflix and Disney+ , I subscribe when they have something we want to watch, we make sure all episodes are available and we binge something over a month.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7130
    Jono111 said:
    I have set my auto renewal to off. I will probably miss it but it's easy enough to sigh up for and there aren't any loyalty benefits.
    How does one set auto renewal to off?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18936
    edited March 3
    tony99 said:
    Jono111 said:
    I have set my auto renewal to off. I will probably miss it but it's easy enough to sigh up for and there aren't any loyalty benefits.
    How does one set auto renewal to off?
    Go to Account & lists, click on the 'Prime' button . Select 'Manage membership' then switch it off, set renewal reminders etc.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12413
    edited March 3
    Philly_Q said:
    One Amazon (not Prime) feature I don't think we've mentioned - the Kindle.  I'm very fond of mine, it's convenient and it saves me having to add even more to the clutter in my flat.  Presumably there are other eReader devices available, but I don't know if their downloadable content is compatible with each other.
    Bookzz is compatible, you can choose your format   @Philly_Q ;
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom