London yoofs

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3521
    Tai chi is a herbal tea isnt it? I am drinking one now, you wont be winning any fights with a herbal tea unless your opponent likes a good old cup of tai chi, a couple of custard creams and a natter.
    If not, prepare for a solid kick in the balls or a head butt.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16737
    Rather than prepare for a fight, try this method

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGey6Uc9E/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28522
    WezV said:
    Rather than prepare for a fight, try this method

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGey6Uc9E/
    The problem is when someone does sit next to you after you've done that! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3724
    bertie said:
    I don't know much about Tai chi,
    Biology ? Science ? French ?
    Damn, what song is that?
    https://youtu.be/R4GLAKEjU4w
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3724

Offset said:
    bertie said:
    Damn, what song is that?
    I think it's by Thomas Dolby.
    My minor claim to fame is that I was at school with him (well at the same school but he was several years ahead of me) when he was plain old Thomas Robinson. 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 682
    edited March 7
    I don't know much about Tai chi, but I agree with what Musical mystery tour is saying about a level of confidence can help to keep you out of trouble. It doesn't turn you into a well rounded street fighter and no guarantees you will never be attacked or intimidated, but it does reduce the likelihood, helps keep you in shape and is also a social network, so for me, that in itself is great.
       We could go down the path of hard determinism and say nobody is to blame, which partly I believe. We are a product of our genetic pre-disposition and environment...that being how we are raised, under what conditions and those we meet in life.
       The 'arseholes' we meet in life all have a story, a reason, but that doesn't mean their behaviour is acceptable, and the closer and more personal it is to us, then the more we will be affected...but that's a rabbit hole.
       On the child raising front, personally I believe show your child plenty of love, praise them greatly when deserved and be their inspiration.
       The other reason I believe these things happen is because we are now a fragmented society, we rarely stand together, so the individual can intimidate a group of people even though they could easily overpower the individual, because they see themselves as individuals and not a collective. There is actually a name for this syndrome, but can't remember what it's called.
       My partner moved over here 35 years ago, she came from a village in Bangladesh, a place where any troublemakers would be confronted by the village, they had a sense of belonging and social responsibility.
       She's very petite, but too often outspoken should she witness antisocial behaviour and this does worry me.  
    Doesn't seem to work for MMT if he's got into fights in "more than one occasion".

Vigilante justice is generally frowned apon in the west too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Kurtis said:
    I don't know much about Tai chi, but I agree with what Musical mystery tour is saying about a level of confidence can help to keep you out of trouble. It doesn't turn you into a well rounded street fighter and no guarantees you will never be attacked or intimidated, but it does reduce the likelihood, helps keep you in shape and is also a social network, so for me, that in itself is great.
       We could go down the path of hard determinism and say nobody is to blame, which partly I believe. We are a product of our genetic pre-disposition and environment...that being how we are raised, under what conditions and those we meet in life.
       The 'arseholes' we meet in life all have a story, a reason, but that doesn't mean their behaviour is acceptable, and the closer and more personal it is to us, then the more we will be affected...but that's a rabbit hole.
       On the child raising front, personally I believe show your child plenty of love, praise them greatly when deserved and be their inspiration.
       The other reason I believe these things happen is because we are now a fragmented society, we rarely stand together, so the individual can intimidate a group of people even though they could easily overpower the individual, because they see themselves as individuals and not a collective. There is actually a name for this syndrome, but can't remember what it's called.
       My partner moved over here 35 years ago, she came from a village in Bangladesh, a place where any troublemakers would be confronted by the village, they had a sense of belonging and social responsibility.
       She's very petite, but too often outspoken should she witness antisocial behaviour and this does worry me.  
    Doesn't seem to work for MMT if he's got into fights in "more than one occasion".

Sometimes looking like you can handle yourself gives off an air of threat to a possible attacker, it esculates a situation, it doesnt calm it.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2594
    I can't think of a time since primary school that I've thought about smacking someone or dealing with a threatening situation by getting in to a fight. As far as I remember the only person I've ever 'fought' was my brother when I was about eight.

I like to think I'm above that sort of thing. Or it might just be because I'm a total wuss.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Offset said:
    bertie said:
    Damn, what song is that?
    I think it's by Thomas Dolby.

try Sam Cooke
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 864
    drofluf said:
    bertie said:
    Damn, what song is that?
    https://youtu.be/R4GLAKEjU4w
    Yessss! Thank you  :3
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:

Sometimes looking like you can handle yourself gives off an air of threat to a possible attacker, it esculates a situation, it doesnt calm it.
    When people see me on the street they're probably more likely to give me a few bob than try to mug me  =)
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:

I think there's a subtle difference between having a level of confidence and looking like you can handle yourself, also things like eye contact, if you're not even acknowledging someone you are less likely to be a threat, whereas, and to take it to an extreme, if you're stood there with your chest pumped up and staring this can be encouraging trouble. Generally bullies pick on the vulnerable looking, but granted, there are the odd occasions where someone feels the need to prove themselves to their mates and so go for someone tough looking.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11805
    Anyone else want to see a movie "Emp Wish" where he sorts out the feral youth of the Docklands Light Railway?

He could store all his anti-chav equipment in an abandoned part of the newly rebuilt Bank Station...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3034
    Drugs.

Any idiot nowadays can be under the influence and any behaviour affected by it. They stab you 20 times in a drug fuelled rage and get away with doing 10 years, have the rehab, and probably become a vicar.

Even if you are a black belt in origami, facing drug fuelled rage is not going to be easy to deal with. You are not facing a person with normal behaviour characteristics.

Possibly the only way to deal with it being restraint, and a hope that his two mates dont join in.

Drugged or not, we just don't know. One thing we do know in @Emp_Fab case is that he went home in one piece. Had he used any physical martial art techniques he may not have been so lucky. The mental approach to martial arts has always been to walk away, or certainly was when I did a bit of Krav Maga. To be honest, that's the best lesson I was ever taught. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    A drunk on the tube late at night from Earls Court to Parsons Green in 1974
    Rod Stewart has fucked the faces,
    over and over  =)

^^^^^
    Absolutely, hit them when they’re coked up and they just keep coming. Lock them down and they are helpless. But as you say, if there’s more than one then it’s not gonna work.
    Shrews said:
    Drugs.

Any idiot nowadays can be under the influence and any behaviour affected by it. They stab you 20 times in a drug fuelled rage and get away with doing 10 years, have the rehab, and probably become a vicar.

Even if you are a black belt in origami, facing drug fuelled rage is not going to be easy to deal with. You are not facing a person with normal behaviour characteristics.

Possibly the only way to deal with it being restraint, and a hope that his two mates dont join in.

Drugged or not, we just don't know. One thing we do know in @Emp_Fab case is that he went home in one piece. Had he used any physical martial art techniques he may not have been so lucky. The mental approach to martial arts has always been to walk away, or certainly was when I did a bit of Krav Maga. To be honest, that's the best lesson I was ever taught. 
    drug fuelled rage? You mean the mild upset when the roach pops out the end of your dooby? It could make a person quietly exclaim 'fusk sake' under their breath, thats some scary rage right there. :0)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18881
    Shrews said:
    Drugs.

"The mental approach to martial arts has always been to walk away".
    Always the best way, then discuss it later on a guitar forum. Blow off some steam, chill & avoid A&E or a remand cell.
    Hindsight is amazing & can fix everything, foresight is far less common but much more valuable. 
    ;) 

edited March 7
    Shrews said:
    Drugs.

I think your imagination may be running away a bit. 

Emp doesn't even use drugs. 
    Kurtis said:
    Shrews said:
    Drugs.

I think your imagination may be running away a bit. 

Emp doesn't use drugs. 
    If he did though, he would have gotten all medieval on them there yoofs in a blind drug fuelled rage and tore them limb from limb.