New Takes on Classic Cars

What's Hot
koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
edited March 12 in Off Topic
With cars such as the Beetle, Mini, Fiat 500 etc having an iconic status, new versions have been revived, some get the vibe like the Fiat 500, but some miss the plot entirely like the Mini, which is not ‘mini’. Recently Vauxhall have revived the name Viva, which is just using the name rather than a new uptake on the car. 
A couple of questions? 
what car revived hit the mark? 
And what car would you bring back for an update?
My take is, the Fiat500 has the charm and vibe of the original but updated. The Mini apart from basic shape missed everything important about the original concept. 
And I would like a new version of the Volvo P1800. 
Over to you .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11705
    Ford never managed to recapture the naff charm of the '70s Capri despite trying, unsuccessfully, to do so.  Probe? Yeeeuck.  Cougar?  Ahem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    edited March 12
    Offset said:
    Ford never managed to recapture the naff charm of the '70s Capri despite trying, unsuccessfully, to do so.  Probe? Yeeeuck.  Cougar?  Ahem.
    And then they actually made a decent car in the same range, the Puma.

...and then ruined the name a couple of decades later by reusing it for yet another SUV/crossover thing.

Just like MG with the ZS.

OK, so they're not vintage classics, but the original ZS and Puma are 20-25 years old now.

I'd like to see properly-updated versions of the original ideas behind the Puma and ZS, but without the shitty styling and SUV-ification that goes into designing modern identikit cars.
    <space for hire>
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    The new Renault 5 looks like a brilliantly done car. 

A similarly redone Renault 4 would be cool too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2953
    MX5 / Lotus Elan.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

These get the vibe!

https://mst-cars.com/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 285
    I thought the two door mini had something, the four door's an abomination though. As for the other mini branded vehicles it's taking the piss.
    The VW Beetle looked nice but it didn't sell well.
    The Fiat 500 looks great even if it's bigger than the old Fiat 600.
    And that funny little Nissan Figaro was cool.
    Vauxhall Viva though .. omg who thought that was a good idea.

P1800 would be good, dunno Volvo don't do sports cars any more do they?
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1125
    edited March 12
    Scirocco? Don't know how the old one was viewed but the new one was ace when it came out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Leave it to the Chinese... 

This is the ORA Punk Cat, shame its Electric.. and made in China.. still, looks more like a Beetle than the New Beetle did. 

Interior is almost epic, but they've overdone it I think..

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    2reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I remember growing up and there were the likes of the Vauxhall vx220, Vauxhall Calibra, and... God forbid the Vauxhall Nova.. 

There were Sierra Cosworth's with their whaletail's and RS2000's. 

Outrageously ugly looking back on all of those, but I'd rather have any one of them over a generic and ubiquitous SUV/crossover. 

As for what to bring back.. It wouldnt be affordable for anyone but I want the Viper back :( 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917

These get the vibe!

https://mst-cars.com/
    They certainly do!

P1800 is a great shout.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

I reckon Citroen are missing a trick by not doing an updated version of the 2cv like this concept. I think it looks great.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:

...and then ruined the name a couple of decades later by reusing it for yet another SUV/crossover thing.

OK, so they're not vintage classics, but the original ZS and Puma are 20-25 years old now.

I'd like to see properly-updated versions of the original ideas behind the Puma and ZS, but without the shitty styling and SUV-ification that goes into designing modern identikit cars.
    Rumours are the Capri is coming back as an electric Suv.. I guess they want to drag its name through the shit same as the Mustang.. 

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Alpine
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    skunkwerx said:
    Offset said:

Rumours are the Capri is coming back as an electric Suv.. I guess they want to drag its name through the shit same as the Mustang.. 

I want to add a "FFS" reaction button just for this.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    VW ID Buzz. Microbus for the 21st century.

It also comes in a 4WD version which does 0-60 in something mad like 5 seconds...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Offset said:

Ford always recycled names. I think there were at least three cars called Capri. 

The new Renault 5 might hit some of the marks, probably not a nut or bolt the same as the original but trying to recapture some of that quirkiness. And there are truly quirky modern cars like the Citroen Ami, although they don’t seem to get much love. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22861
    I don't know much about cars, but I am capable of recognising some models from the '60s and '70s.  So I do like the idea of modernised versions of cars from that period.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 642
    ICBM said:
    VW ID Buzz. Microbus for the 21st century.

It also comes in a 4WD version which does 0-60 in something mad like 5 seconds...

Kind of like the mini it's not really going to be in the same spirit as the original. 
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    The Ford Capri (70's one) would be my choice. 
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 665
    Opel Manta please.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom