Words that are going out of fashion / usage

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23010
    Adey said:
    Literally a word that literally isn't going out of fashion is literally the word "literally". It is literally used all the time. Literally.
    Obviously.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Along with ‘shall’ we’ve also witnessed the enforced death of the adverb during our lifetime.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14312
    tFB Trader
    I was having a drink the other day in the pub and bumped into an old neighbour - He knew I was now single and said 'are you courting' - The young bar girl laughed and said 'courting, no one goes courting now' 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23010
    edited March 23
    I was having a drink the other day in the pub and bumped into an old neighbour - He knew I was now single and said 'are you courting' - The young bar girl laughed and said 'courting, no one goes courting now' 
    Reminds me of an old school friend who was from Llanelli and pronounced "court" as "coat".  His older sister was "coating" at the time.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    That's an activity for which the English language doesn't really have an adequate expression. In the US, it's 'dating,' of course, but when I think of the romantic relationships I've had in my life, 'dating' just doesn't cover it. I'd get to know a young woman, usually through work, we'd get very friendly, and then at some point we'd suddenly find ourselves in a close encounter. And then we were either in a relationship or nothing would come of it. Never in my life have I systematically gone for a series of planned evenings at places like bars, restaurants, or whatever where the object was to suss out whether the 'date' was worthy of a clinch or more.

I grew up with the phrase 'going out with': 'Did you know, John's going out with Jane?' Well, that's an odd expression. It sounds reminiscent of times when prospective couples 'went out walking' together, maybe with a chaperone to make sure there was no premature hanky-panky. 

I suppose the problem is that when a couple is 'together,' the essential component in it all is that they're engaged in some kind of sexual activity. However, even in our enlightened times, people search for euphemistic expressions to avoid drawing attention to this simple fact!
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    Slapper
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16120
    Timcito said:
    That's an activity for which the English language doesn't really have an adequate expression. In the US, it's 'dating,' of course, but when I think of the romantic relationships I've had in my life, 'dating' just doesn't cover it. I'd get to know a young woman, usually through work, we'd get very friendly, and then at some point we'd suddenly find ourselves in a close encounter. And then we were either in a relationship or nothing would come of it. Never in my life have I systematically gone for a series of planned evenings at places like bars, restaurants, or whatever where the object was to suss out whether the 'date' was worthy of a clinch or more.

I grew up with the phrase 'going out with': 'Did you know, John's going out with Jane?' Well, that's an odd expression. It sounds reminiscent of times when prospective couples 'went out walking' together, maybe with a chaperone to make sure there was no premature hanky-panky. 

I suppose the problem is that when a couple is 'together,' the essential component in it all is that they're engaged in some kind of sexual activity. However, even in our enlightened times, people search for euphemistic expressions to avoid drawing attention to this simple fact!
    Youngsters don't date , 'go out 'with anybody
    They say "I'm talking to a girl/boy "..........I assume it's because half the relationship is vicariously lived via social media.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28533
    In my day it was "person1 is shagging person2", or "bonking" for those of a more refined vernacular. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4717
    Obliged.  Replace by obligated, which is just wrong.

We are obligated to … .     No you’re not

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    What is always interesting is the etymology when a language has been left behind in a colony or former territory and becomes frozen in time as it doesn't evolve colloquially .....
    My Greek friends laugh at the 'Greek' spoken by my Cypriot friends because it's almost a form of 18th century Greek that they speak.
    I have a lot of Indian ( from India not UK ) friends and clients who speak " Indlish " which is their Victorian English legacy ;some of the phrases are very old/stilted .......
    " We must do the needful" , something is never good ;it's "most satisfactory "
    An old girlfriend's father was Bengali from Kolkata ....he would exclaim "Oh my goodness gracious,Golly-Gosh "
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I remember being about 22/23 years old ,going to dinner at a friend's parents and being asked to pass the 'condiments '
    I didn't know what they meant.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28533
    That reminds me of a variation on the Universal Retort.

Someone once said my hair was going a bit salt-and-pepper. I replied "thank you, what a lovely condiment". 

They didn't get it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I sometimes work with an older gentleman ;very much a 'gentleman ' ......
    If somebody messes up/lets us down......
    Me ; " He's useless ,that lazy git ......can't leave him to arrange fuck-all "
    Him ; " Well, he does seem to be a bit of a feeble chap "
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 865
    Cock.
    Our dad often called us cock. We were led to believe it’s a sign of affection, but I’m not so sure.

always reminds me of the Rick Mayall joke…
    how do you ask a fella with no arms or legs for the time?
    got the time on ya cock?
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    tFB Trader
    It’s’duff’ 

as in faulty 
    tFB Trader
    In terms of describing a poor guitar I rarely hear anyone saying‘ it’s a dog’
  • Dr_NecessiterDr_Necessiter Frets: 303
    Jackanapes, flibbertigibbet, goblet.
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7058
    tFB Trader
    CORRECTAMUNDO!

Maybe no-one ever said that really?
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7351
    I remember being a bit puzzled and alarmed when I heard my grandmother referring to a young plucky-spirited and feisty lad in the street as being a "spunky young chap".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    Dominic said:
    I have a lot of Indian ( from India not UK ) friends and clients who speak " Indlish " which is their Victorian English legacy ;some of the phrases are very old/stilted .......
    " We must do the needful" , something is never good ;it's "most satisfactory "
    An old girlfriend's father was Bengali from Kolkata ....he would exclaim "Oh my goodness gracious,Golly-Gosh "
    Sounds a bit like Peter Sellers saying to Sophia Loren, "Goodness, gracious me!"