Poopot's Cover Challenge #26 - M - Voting

What's Hot
Happy Easter and it's time to vote on the letter M. Despite the (always) controversial chosen song there is a plethora of entries to choose from so make sure to schedule plenty of time to listen to everything.

You can hear all the tracks in the playlist:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/poopots-cover-challenge-26-m

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below.

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

There is a bonus 5 points for covering Master Of Puppets

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for their own track or anything they have guested on. Voting closes at 11.30pm on  Friday 5th April 2024

The entry with the most points gets to pick the next song to be covered. In the event of a tie for first place then all those tied will choose a song.

ALL ENTRANTS PLEASE HAVE YOUR IDEAS READY FOR THE NEXT CHALLENGE. YOU WILL HAVE ONLY 48HRS AFTER VOTING CLOSES TO MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR SONG CHOICE. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO THEN I'LL END UP CHOOSING IT FOR YOU! 

Good luck
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27639
    Just had my first quick listen.

Wow, there's some great work on that playlist!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    Good stuff everyone!

1 - @thecolourbox Modern Age, The
    2 - @ICM1980 Man in the box
    3 - @idiotwind Man in long black coat

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2199
    Great to hear so many entries and packed with great versions.

There was a lot to get through. I had to listen to them in a few stages, make shortlists, then make shortlists of my shorlists etc. It took a while to get it down to three, and even then I kept going back and forth between a few.

5 points : @flying_pie ;: Master Of Puppets (of the House) : Musicals aren't really my thing, but I have to admire the shear scale and breath of it. Very clever. An epic and audacious arrangement.

3 points : @fnpt ; (ft the colourbox) : My Iron Lung : Powerful and full of vibe/energy. The most exciting to listen to as a piece of music for me.

1 point : @thecolourbox ; : MoonRiver : By contrast an understated arrangement. Lovely piano and vocals. Plaintive and melancholy.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Really enjoyed listening to these, and slightly in awe of the skills on display on some of these tracks.  The quality and diversity makes it difficult to pick just 3, let alone rank them in any sort of order.  

But …

1st, 5pts @stickyfiddle - My Winding Wheel
    Loved this the first time I heard it, impressive musicianship across the range of instruments and vocals. 

2nd, 3pts @flying_pie - Master of Puppets (of the House)
    Thats just a mad crazy interpretation and a mad crazy amount of work gone into imagining and then making it happen.  

3rd, 1pts @colourbox - Moon River
    From one extreme to the other - beautiful simplicity played with your usual level of feel.

I feel like I should give deserved “honourable mentions” to the other 3 or 4 tracks that could easily have made it into my top3, but not going to complicate my reasoning process any more!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Very difficult choice, having spent my late teens, early 20's in the 90's may have influenced my vote, but here goes:

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    edited April 1
    One of the biggest and best rounds that I can remember. After some deliberation

5pts: @flying_pie Master Of Puppets (of the House) - I really don't like musical theatre, but this was inspired, original, and an outstanding achievement
    3pts: @fnpt My Iron Lung
    1pt: @IMC1980 Man In The Box
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Loads of great entries, I think this is the largest amount submitted so far. My votes go to:

5 points @flying_pie - Your covers are always really inventive, but this one is off the scale. Like Monty Python becoming a heavy metal pantomime villain, fucking brilliant.
    3 points @Bezzer - One of my favourite Faith No More tracks and a real challenge vocally, loved the chuggy section in the middle break
    1 point @stickyfiddle - I hadn't heard this song before, really enjoyed it and thought it was well produced

Well done to everyone, great job all round! 

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 586
    What a brilliantly varied selection of tracks, some of which I'd never heard of before. Some really inventive arrangements too. And by far the longest session I've had listening to the entries, which is amazing. Long may it continue!

Anyway, the votes from the Icelandic Jury are:

5 points : @flying_pie - Bloody hell mate, I can't imagine the amount of work that had to go into that. What a brilliant piece of work!
    3 points : @IMC1980 - Only just pipped by the pie, I love this arrangement so much. It's f'in' amazing.
    1 point : @idiotwind - The Man In The Long Black Coat, I'm a real sucker for that Leonard Cohen / Nick Cave vibe and this really transported me to one of their more hidden gems.

Got to give mega props as well to @fnpt for taking on My Iron Lung, really great version too. To @thecolourbox and @TTony ;
    for throwing so many entries into the ring and so well finished, how do you find the sodding time?

Another great month though, well done all, really don't think there was a duff one in there. Was a hard choice to make but a pleasure to listen to.

Bezzer said:
    To @thecolourbox and @TTony ;
    for throwing so many entries into the ring and so well finished, how do you find the sodding time?

To be honest @Bezzer, the "Modi" track was a bit of a joke (I didn't have time to get "Lodi" finished for the last challenge), Mad World was a refresh of something that I'd done a while back, and the challenge prompted me to finish learning Maggie May because all I'd done previously was the simple verse/chorus chord bits!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9826
    Bezzer said:
    Got to give mega props as well to @fnpt for taking on My Iron Lung, really great version too. To @thecolourbox and @TTony ;
    In fairness, I did Modern Age basically as the warm up for doing the vocals for FNPT's Iron Lung, it's very simple rhythm guitar and the solo was hard for me to do in one go but isn't really that hard for proper players. Doing vocals only on a track is much easier also than having to do the whole thing, and when the backing track is as good as FNPT's was, you know.... I wish I was sociable enough to be able to collaborate in person so I didn't need to play guitar to be honest. Moon River was a one or two take thing, I was already doing a short 60 second version for my instagram so it was just out of that - again a very simple tune. I think we can all agree that my Master of Puppets very evidently did not have anywhere near enough time spent on it.

I work fast and get bored quickly (thanks ADHD)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    I'll offer up my final votes before i change my mind again, I have a shortlist of 5 of the tracks for my top three, but all of them had something good going on and I enjoyed something about all of them. Well done chaps and lets keep the enthusiasm going for this challenge (and maybe the composition one too?)

5 points - @idiotwind Man in the Long Black Coat. Really like the mysterious vibe of the production, really quite dark and cinematic, like a black and white cartoon of Johnny Cash or something

3 points - @stickyfiddle Good song choice and lovely playing, just had a great movement and flow to it all and nicely polished arrangement. Also from my kind of era of music I think (I assume for similar reasons you voted for my Strokes cover!)

1 point - @TTony Modi. I know it's technically cheating with the title :) but it sounded like a Noah and the Whale outtake and I just liked your version.

I do wish that somebody else had done the vocals for @FNPT's My Iron Lung though as just the backing track alone would have got my points, but my involvement does unfortunately prevent me. It was a brilliant backing track though I have to say, so much to cover in any Radiohead song and if anything, you improved it (as you did with Love Will Tear Us Apart last time around)
  • idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 473
    I'm going to go for:

5pts - @flying_pie  ;
    3pts - @stickyfiddle  ;
    1pt - @thecolourbox ; (Modern Age)
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    @thecolourbox thanks for the kind words but it was the vocals that really made it.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    @thecolourbox My vote was mostly for a great execution of a great song tbh. Absolutely nailed the vibe which so many covers completely miss. Though I was 16 when that record came out, so obviously it's right in the middle of my teenage happy place :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited April 3
    @thecolourbox My vote was mostly for a great execution of a great song tbh. Absolutely nailed the vibe which so many covers completely miss. Though I was 16 when that record came out, so obviously it's right in the middle of my teenage happy place  
    Ha thanks, likewise I was 15 I think and just about to discover the music of this other American garage rock band called "the white's tripe" or something like that, though I'm sure that won't catch on with me....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    edited April 3
    What a fantastic month. So many great entries and always difficult to balance what one instinctively prefers genre wise with overall production and crazy off beat interpretations.

I'll go with

5 points - @IMC1980 - great take on a song I love. Nice twist with the chorus visits switched so Jerry sings higher than Layne 

3 points - @stratman3142 - so soothing and superb playing. Really enjoyed that

1 point - @stickyfiddle - not the type of track I'd really listen to but that's a damn fine version superbly executed

Sorry to everyone else. My top 3 today could really have been made up from four or five of the ones left out. Looking forward to N already
    Looking forward to N already
    Can I do “Nodi”?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    Looking forward to N already
    Can I do “Nodi”?
    As long as you do Yesdi when we get to the Y round
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    Voting closes tonight