What was your worst buying or selling decision.

What's Hot

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 961
    Nothing really disastrous compared to others on here... 

I sold an Aria Pro ii 335 copy when I was skint. It had sentimental value and I regretted it. I ended up buying it back though about a year later so it all worked out. 

I bought a Marshall MG100fx combo new. That was truly a rubbish amp and a bad decision. 

Apart from that I've not done anything too bad, gear wise. The rest of the decisions I've made in life though, absolute car crash. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    edited March 31
    Sold a Fender Tremolux Blonde and Wheat with a matching Bassman 2x12 cab in 1980 for 80 quid, along with a 1961 white SG/Les Paul junior for an additional 150.  Both were incredible, but I was moving to the States and needed the money.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1438
    I refuse to partake in this as it will inevitably make me feel shit
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cathodynecathodyne Frets: 24
    Not buying an early ’50s gold top Les Paul when they could be bought for about 3 to 4K in the early 90s.

I used to wish I had bought a Jaguar I saw in Music Ground Doncaster, but who knows how unoriginal / inauthentic that actually was.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    cathodyne said:
    Not buying an early ’50s gold top Les Paul when they could be bought for about 3 to 4K in the early 90s.
    I should have bought the '56 Les Paul Custom I could have had for £4K in 1999... still kicking myself for that.

cathodyne said:

I used to wish I had bought a Jaguar I saw in Music Ground Doncaster, but who knows how unoriginal / inauthentic that actually was.
    There was definitely something wrong with it, although who knows what. Lucky escape.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Sold a DAM Professional Mk2 OC81D Fuzz pedal made by Dave Main in 2005 (No.065) as I thought I could build an equivalent one myself.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1234
    edited March 31
    Old ones but...Sold in 1990..
    Vox AC30 top boost  JMI £110. 1979 wine red gibson les paul custom.. £325.

More recent - JD800 just 1 cursor key missing, all working £180!!! sold 2016. PRS CE24 2009 tiger top sold 2015 £600.

Worst buying decision - New PRS CE24 tiger top £1100 (sale price) 2009 sold for 600^.

Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 366
    I sold a Klon Centaur on eBay in around 2012. It went for £550. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    nero1701 said:
    I refuse to partake in this as it will inevitably make me feel shit
    +1......
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2440
    It took me a long time and a lot of money spent before I realised I just don't love 24¾" scale guitars
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
    Am I allowed a second go? If so, buying a Blues Junior  :/
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 717
    Buying and selling a 68 reissue Princeton. 

Couldn’t afford it when I bought it, sold it just after I figured out how to use it. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719
    Blowing all my money on a Mesa Nomad 45 when I lived in a tiny council flat many moons ago and selling said Mesa Nomad for about £200 to try and make rent. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • eventheloserseventhelosers Frets: 100
    Gear I wish I hadn't sold that makes me weep when I see it for sale on Reverb:

1965 Epiphone Olympic, traded for a Tokai SG Custom...
    2 Vista Series Squire Supersonics that cost me £180 each.
    1982 Boogie Mk2b, hardwood.
    70s Matamp V14 1x15 combo, serial number 2.
    90s EHX Polychorus.
    90s Dunlop Rotovibe.
    90s Sovtek Big Muff.
    Boss DM3.

There's probably loads more but these are the ones that cut the deepest... :'(

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    The only things I really regret selling are my Yamaha TRB1005 and my EHX Deluxe Memory Man. Got fair prices for them at the time but wish I still had them. 

Buying wise, I don't think I've ever made any truly awful decisions. 
  • BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 285
    Worst buying decision - Boss Katana 50 combo. Nothing to do with cash but the countless hours I spent trying to get a usable tone out of a plie of shit.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 300
    Nothing sticks out really but it was hard letting go of my Strat Pro ii. I did once sell a D28 at a significant loss because I put a big ding in it. I don’t regret it though, I bought an OM28 which is a much better guitar. 
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    Worst selling - my Princeton 65RI - Replaced with an Origin 20 which did not compete. I quickly sold and rebought a Princeton.

Worst buying - Not the Origin but a Vox pathfinder 10, I thought it was OK for years until playing something better...

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1586
    edited April 2
    I sold a pre master-volume 100w Marshall valve top and 4x12 cabinet because back in the early '80s. I never liked the tone at the low volumes I could only ever use it at). Think I got about £80 for it, and used that to buy a little Marshsll Lead 12 combo, which I would rawk to my heart's content 

Still have the little amp, but pretty sure it wasn't the wisest move ever
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Worst was selling my 70’s Gibson SG. Bought it with inheritance and toured it around the world. Snapped the headstock so many times that it was eventually held together with a screw. 

Still had loads of gigs so I sold it for something a little less battered and reliable. 

It would go nowhere now but being a skint muso at the time I didn’t really have a choice. Would love to get it back.