What was your worst buying or selling decision.

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11928
    I sold a pair of Tannoy Ardens (very large main monitor / hifi speakers) for £550 in 2004, when we had moved to a modern house with smaller rooms.
    I think I paid ~£400 10 years earlier

I checked recently, they have now reissued these at £8500 a pair, and I saw some second hand at £4500 I think
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    edited April 5
    Sold a Korean Peavy Wolfgang about 12 years ago which I wish I'd kept. Had a lovely neck but I didn't get on with the Floyd Rose and it didn't suit what I play, but still. If I ever see a stop tail US one for a reasonable price, it's coming home with me.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4796
    Let's add a pedal into this...

Worst: In the early '80s, I sold the first effects pedal I'd ever owned - bought it in 1978/9 I think. It was a bit unreliable, and I'd had it repaired twice before giving up on it. A mains-powered (no wall wart) EH MemoryMan Deluxe. And I've never quite had that sound since, although a T-Rex Reptile came close and the Line 6 model of it is also pretty good. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10505
    tFB Trader
    I sold my JTM45 head when I was short of money in my 20s an original perspex Marshall logo one ... for about £50 if my memory serves me ... sold an all valve, tweed Copycat for 25 quid ... 

Traded my 1975 black Telecaster for a Manson ... then flogged the Manson down the road a bit ... all lovely gear. 

Absolute biggest selling regret? My 1974 Les Paul Special ... it was absolute magic ... but the band I was in wanted pointy widdly guitars ... 

Biggest buying regret? 
    Probably my Laney LC30 ... not because it was really a bad amp ... but it was so effing heavy I did my back in ... and the dirt channel was, weirdly, miles darker than the clean channel, so all that weight and I still had to hump a large pedal board and use the clean channel as a pedal platform.  Don't get me wrong, lovely clean channel and super loud, but as a practical gigging amp it was a bit pants. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27110
    Honestly I don't think I have any real regrets. 

I still have a niggling want for my old '03 SG Faded but I sold it at the time for the right reasons, and missing that guitar taught me not to make rash decisions on selling great instruments. And honestly if I had it back now I don't think it would get much use. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9568
    Buying a Suhr Jim Kelley - brand new, loud as hell, legendary amp (apparently)…

A bit meh, and lost a fortune =)
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Swapping a JCM800 halfstack and a Hiwatt Custom 100 head (an early one too and owned/used by Larry Wallis of Motorhead/On Parole) for an 8080 Valvestate combo.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    Oh, picked up an original Marshal Guvnor for £30 and sold it for £60. Should have kept it.
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 717

Biggest buying regret? 
    Probably my Laney LC30 ... not because it was really a bad amp ... but it was so effing heavy I did my back in ... and the dirt channel was, weirdly, miles darker than the clean channel, so all that weight and I still had to hump a large pedal board and use the clean channel as a pedal platform.  Don't get me wrong, lovely clean channel and super loud, but as a practical gigging amp it was a bit pants. 

I forgot … that’s the first proper amp I bought. Replaced it with. JCM900 master volume 100W (used - utter bargain at the time)

The poor LC30 could not keep up with my Indie Band. Bought it new too, so took a big hit on it. 

I just blindly believed the magazine reviews, of maybe didn’t understand them. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
     So many- but selling my Vibroverb irks me in many ways, despite making 7k on the deal.

My 72 Norlin LP with Bigsby- loved that guitar although it weighed as much as Belgium
    A 1957 Strat that was Clive B refinished

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 254
    I traded an AC30 (transistor model) in to get a Marshall JCM900 which I no longer have.

I also once chucked a Yamaha CS-5 in a skip as one of the keys wasn't working properly. I paid £10 for that...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    I traded an AC30 (transistor model) in to get a Marshall JCM900 which I no longer have.
    Those transistor AC30s are quite remarkable amps - almost uniquely for solid-state amps they use a very similar circuit to the valve models, but adapted for solid-state components, and they have the same alnico speakers as the valve ones of the time. They have an interesting sound - recognisably AC30-like, but fuzzier. They're not that loud compared to the valve ones even though they claim 40W output. Status Quo apparently used them quite a lot in the studio in the mid-70s, and I think you can tell once you know what they sound like when you listen to the albums. I don't know if they're valuable or not, beyond the speakers being desirable enough that a lot will probably have been taken out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    My worst buying decision was a 2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard Goldtop. It was too heavy (10.5 lbs), the top string used to get caught in the binding nibs, and it had a horrible 498T pickup in the bridge position.

My best selling decision was getting rid of the aforementioned LP at a £200 loss. It put me off LP Standards for life.
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 254
    edited April 4
    ICBM said:
     I don't know if they're valuable or not, beyond the speakers being desirable enough that a lot will probably have been taken out.

I think the speakers were Fane if that's meaningful. Although both they and the amp are long gone.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    The amp I regret selling was my Marshall JCM2000 (though I did get a Peavey 6505+ from it).

Apart from that there's no real other regrets selling anything else.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24379
    I bought a Marshall AFD100 head on release for £1200.

They are now hitting more than double that. Sometimes closer to triple with all the box candy and T-shirt etc.
    Not a bad amp those! But even with the built in attenuator, completely pointless for home use.

If I still had it I would have got a modern thing like a Fryette PS2 to go with it.

I recall it had a very low noise floor. That appealed to me greatly!

Other than that, I do miss my old Explorer and Les Paul but I couldn't put up with the weight of them anymore so they would probably just be sitting in my rack covered in dust.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    The amp I regret selling was my Marshall JCM2000 (though I did get a Peavey 6505+ from it).
    Regret? You should be dancing with joy :). The 6505 is significantly less likely to set fire to itself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    ICBM said:
    Regret? You should be dancing with joy :). The 6505 is significantly less likely to set fire to itself.
    Lol the Marshall sounded great for all things rock, the Peavey is the go to for metalcore and only does that style very well (for me anyway). 
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 892
    edited April 4
    Probably my worst-timed sale was a Roland SH101 synth - sold it in the late 80s for less than £100, just before shitty old mono synths became trendy with the dance music folks and values shot up.  I sold it to buy a drum machine, which I've still got now (but is almost completely worthless). The current going rate for an SH101 looks to be about a grand.  Arse.

But having said that, the drum machine has been far more use to me than the SH101 would have been.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3579
    Regret: buying a Laney vc50 that I absolutely didn't need. Regret 2: losing my shirt p-exing for a Trademark 60. (A decent amp). Regret 3: losing rest of shirt p-exing TM60 against a Traynor. (A decent amp after a few mods but wish I'd kept the TM)