Dead rat....

What's Hot
SnapSnap Frets: 6265
Got at least one dead one under the house, and jeez does it stink. No chance of getting it out.
So, anyone experienced this? How long could we be in for this reek, and any tips on hiding the whiff?

Yes, I know for sure it's a rat/s. We had problems with them a few weeks ago, and it/they have walloped all the poison down like it was smarties.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
    Snap said:
    Got at least one dead one under the house, and jeez does it stink. No chance of getting it out.
    So, anyone experienced this? How long could we be in for this reek, and any tips on hiding the whiff?

Had the same recently.  The smell will go in 2-3 weeks, maybe a bit more.

Air "fresheners" just change the smell from one stink to another.  Rentokil do some sachets of stuff that worked best for us.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    We had horrendous problems with rats at out last house. We had some die in a closed loft space, pest controller used some deoderiser (not sure if it was a spray). He said it could stink for a few weeks but we never really smelt anything. 

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    edited April 4
    Thanks. The stink is like camembert left on a radiator with an undertone of fish, with an overall bouquet of total shart. 
    About 10 days in at moment.
    Underfloor heating really brings out the stench

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    Nice :( You have my sympathies, not nice things to have around. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
    Snap said:
    The stink is like camembert left on a radiator with an undertone of fish, with an overall bouquet of total shart. 

I initially thought it was Mrs TT's old trainers.

She wasn't impressed when I suggested that as the cause ... the bruises lasted longer than the smell.

See if you can find where the thing got in (broken air bricks are a favourite).  If one got in, you'll get more.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18814
    Hope the stink clears soon for you, luckily the wet weather means that there is a reduced likelihood of flies finding the rat & laying eggs. A mass fly hatching in a house gets unfunny really quickly...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 4
    TTony said:

See if you can find where the thing got in (broken air bricks are a favourite).  If one got in, you'll get more.
    All done, and I think I actually may have sealed the critter in, to die as it happens. Put a load of bait in. It was getting in under the footings of an extension wall that we put in a few years ago. Getting under the house then running riot up the walls and through the ceilings and loft space. Also getting under the kitchen floor, up behind the kitchen units and into the integral bin, sometimes one drawer. One time it ate a full bag of dried apricots. Now, I've done that and I was in agony with wind, so I was surprised I didn;t see a rat flying round like Walter the Farting Dog tbh.

Walter  The Farting Dog is the star of a series of fantastic kids books btw. Crying laughing stuff.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited April 4
    I had a rat in my kitchen a couple of years ago.
    https://ibb.co/PQFv3ZX
    I know a really good rat man in South London.
    A property developer friend has him on speed dial.
    edited April 4
    Anyone had Ratt in the stereo......

You can never get rid of that turd,,,,,
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    We had one behind our cooker, I assume the cat had brought it in, every time we used the oven the fish/puke stench was atrocious until I found it. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    One of our cats brought a mouse in once but it escaped before the cat could kill it. We couldn’t find it anywhere until one day we noticed a disgusting smell in the kitchen. Eventually we found it behind the radiator, where it had died, got slow-cooked and then burst open. :s  Took weeks for the smell to go. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 705
    I had a rat in my kitchen a couple of years ago.
    https://ibb.co/PQFv3ZX
    I know a really good rat man in South London.
    A property developer friend has him on speed dial.
    I too know some very good rat men who can help you with any problems, man-thing...

• SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    I caught a mouse in the kitchen of our old house. The little shit ate my pistachios. I got him with some expanding foam.

When we got a new kitchen the fitters were "delighted" to discover his corpse stuck to the wall behind the cabinet. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    edited April 4
    I had rats in the loft a few years ago and killed the buggers with some industrial strength poison that I got from a friend who is a farmer. The smell went after a week or two but meanwhile the rats were reincarnated as a plague of enormous flies that invaded the house. We discovered that the previous owners of our house hadn't properly sealed the old drain pipe when they relocated the bathroom, so the rats had their own door leading straight into our wall cavity. Good times!!!
    Link to my trading feedback
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    Your best bet lkngbterm is rat prevention, get yourself a cat. Ours leaves them lined up on the patio ! 
    @freakboy, oh heck, I hadn't thought of that possibility!!!!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18814
    Snap said:
    @freakboy, oh heck, I hadn't thought of that possibility!!!!
    Not even after I mentioned it a few hours ago? :-D
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 609
    edited April 4
    We had a dead rat behind some boards. We were told a few weeks to rot in Summer and a month or so in winter. It was Summer so we hung in.

It was near a radiator which with convection stunk really bad when heating was on. It was in a bathroom so we shut down that radiator and didn't hang around when we went in there. Stunk.

After 3 weeks we gave up, got the plumber in to take radiator off so we could get access. It wasn't a small rat but not large. It was hardly starting to rot. Never again will I wait, it would have taken ages!

It was the cat that brought it in by jumping through the open window. It wasn't completely dead and escaped while she played with it 

I super sealed every tiny hole and crack to stop mice and rats getting behind those boards.

Good luck!

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    WASH …. YOUR …. HANDS …. LOTS