My back side hurts.

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
Because I think my MTbike saddle is too hard, is it a set up thing? After about 5 miles my ar** is in bits. I have looked at different saddles and they all look like the are designed to be inserted rather than sat on.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    take the saddle off. The post will be much more comfortable
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3287
    No way did that seat post come with that frame..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1939
    I went through this process of getting a comfy seat. I tried loads of them at ever increasing prices until the bloke in the shop recommended one called a Charge Spoon. It was cheaper than any of the others I tried and the best by far. I bought another 2 and put them on my other bikes. I think at the time they were about £25 each. You don't want one with any give in it really. However, none are comfortable after a long period in the saddle and you've just got to get off and give your nuts a rest. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Bike looks way too small for you and the saddle nose is tipped a long way up. These things probably mean that you are sitting over the back of the saddle too much and not spreading the load over the saddle properly.

Saddles are meant to be firm though so you sit in the padding rather than sitting straight through the padding and on to the base. Don't be tempted to get a really padded sofa looking thing as these will actually be less comfortable, hotter and sweatier in the long run.

You will need to get used to it over a couple of rides though if you're new to cycling
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    the_jaffa said:
    Bike looks way too small for you and the saddle nose is tipped a long way up. These things probably mean that you are sitting over the back of the saddle too much and not spreading the load over the saddle properly.

Saddles are meant to be firm though so you sit in the padding rather than sitting straight through the padding and on to the base. Don't be tempted to get a really padded sofa looking thing as these will actually be less comfortable, hotter and sweatier in the long run.

You will need to get used to it over a couple of rides though if you're new to cycling
    Its a large frame and sits on 27.5 wheels, I will have a play with the saddle nose and lower it a bit, the seat post was pulled up simply for the comedy value. =)  
    robgilmo said:
    the_jaffa said:

Its a large frame and sits on 27.5 wheels, I will have a play with the saddle nose and lower it a bit, the seat post was pulled up simply for the comedy value. =)  
    Fair enough.

Nose of the saddle is definitely tipped up though. Start with the saddle horizontal and then try small adjustments from there. A small change can make a big difference.

Charge Spoon saddles as mentioned above are good and do seem to suit a lot of bottoms ime
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    Devil#20 said:
    I went through this process of getting a comfy seat. I tried loads of them at ever increasing prices until the bloke in the shop recommended one called a Charge Spoon. It was cheaper than any of the others I tried and the best by far. I bought another 2 and put them on my other bikes. I think at the time they were about £25 each. You don't want one with any give in it really. However, none are comfortable after a long period in the saddle and you've just got to get off and give your nuts a rest. 
    I read that they were good saddles, I might have to try one. I have to admit though , as a kid I could cycle around all day long without any butt hurt at all , it could be because I am old now and moan a lot more than I used to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    We tend to weigh more, but with a similar contact patch, as adults though sadly
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    Is a computer bike fit as valuable on a MTB as it is a road bike? Mine made a huge difference for me. 
  • JEMJEM Frets: 128
    robgilmo said:
    Devil#20 said:
    I read that they were good saddles, I might have to try one. I have to admit though , as a kid I could cycle around all day long without any butt hurt at all , it could be because I am old now and moan a lot more than I used to.

I use a Charge Spoon on my road bike and it's very comfy but I tried one on my commuter hybrid and it was horrible. I think a lot of it is down to riding position. Ultimately I think you just have to find one that fits you. In my experience softer padded seats are actually less comfy though.

I think there's also a degree of breaking in required too. Brookes users always talk about this but I suspect it's more about your arse getting used to it rather than the seat softening.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited April 5
    That looks like form of torture to me.
    I bet lots of Conservative MPs would pay you loads of money to use it by the hour in a dark room 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    I don’t like riding anything unless I can get both feet nearly flat on the floor
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11752
    I don’t like riding anything unless I can get both feet nearly flat on the floor
    Away from bicycles, that's an interesting concept.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    My most comfortable saddles are rock hard, Brooks leather ones so it’s not the saddle being too hard but more likely your position as others have identified. 

I think I’ve got a Spoon in my parts box if you’re interested?
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    If it's your first ride for a while then your arse will hurt, simply because you're not used to it. The only way to get around that is to ride more. Once you are doing that then start thinking about swapping saddles etc. In the meantime though make sure that your saddle is level - that's not helping.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    Have a curry get ring sting and ride that the next morning  =)
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1098
    Do you wear padded bike shorts?
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3010
    Never mind your ass, you're going to get backache riding that thing. Or go infertile.

What you need is one of these bad boys.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/723659892/vintage-bicycle-seat-old-leather-bike
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3000
    edited April 5
    Have you considered, or better yet tried an industrial strength lubricant?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 652
    I got a gel padded one (Halfords) for mine and it's much better that the one it came with.