My back side hurts.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    edited April 5
    Thanks guys, I will do a few adjustments and see how it goes, if it doesnt improve I will buy a Honda CB750 and give my arse something comfy to sit on instead.  

Edit - If I do get the saddle sorted so it doesnt destroy me every time I go for a cycle, is there anyway to hide the old builders crack as I cycle along that doesnt involve lycra?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3010
    Wear pants?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Shrews said:
    Wear pants?
    I could try sweat pants, really losing 3 or 4 stone would probably be the best way which is why I am getting back out on the bike after a few years of not doing much at all.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Devil#20 said:
    I went through this process of getting a comfy seat. I tried loads of them at ever increasing prices until the bloke in the shop recommended one called a Charge Spoon. It was cheaper than any of the others I tried and the best by far. I bought another 2 and put them on my other bikes. I think at the time they were about £25 each. You don't want one with any give in it really. However, none are comfortable after a long period in the saddle and you've just got to get off and give your nuts a rest. 
    +1 for the Charge Spoon, Been using one for years, sleek but comfy.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 653
    robgilmo said:
    Shrews said:
    Wear pants?
    I could try sweat pants, really losing 3 or 4 stone would probably be the best way which is why I am getting back out on the bike after a few years of not doing much at all.
    I wear sweats or (normal) shorts. 
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    Shrews said:
    Wear pants?
    I wear sweats or (normal) shorts. 
    I used to wear fatigues until they got caught up in the chain and I had to finish the trail looking like I was attacked by a rabid chiwawa.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3000
    What you want to do is wear a pair of meggings while out on the bike.  You'll no longer have issues with showing your but crack to the world, or getting things stuck in the chain.
    What you want to do is wear a pair of meggings while out on the bike.  You'll no longer have issues with showing your but crack to the world, or getting things stuck in the chain.
    And my god how sexy would I look in a pair of those!
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 240
    That seat looks like it could do with a nice cushion. Try John Lewis haberdashery.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    snowblind said:
    That seat looks like it could do with a nice cushion. Try John Lewis haberdashery.
    Oooh , I do like to frequent John Lewis dont you know, sadly my electric boot lid on the 5 series isnt operating as it should so I have to resort to lesser supermarkets, the shame!
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4990
    wibble said:
    Do you wear padded bike shorts?
    This ^ 
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1583
    edited April 6
    Do you do much off-road / downhill riding ?

If you do, fitting a dropper-post is a game-changer there. Set the saddle to the most efficient position for flat-road / climbing then push the button to get it outta the way for the fun stuff

Definitely the biggest improvement I've made in terms of gear over the last 10 years.

(With or without a dropper post btw - your @rse'll toughen up to suit a minimalist saddle anyway. Padded cycle shorts also help..)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9543
    Are you 7’ 5” ?

Tye bike looks way too small, or the seat way too high ! =)

You can get more padded comfortable seats, but its normal to have pain for a few rides.

Good luck !
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Frame looks a bit small for you with that much seat post out! With bike saddles you generally want to find something that supports your sit bones, you don't want/need a big padded thing which ends up being less comfortable over time anyway.

You can measure your sit bone width with a thin piece of memory foam or even some thicker cardboard - put it on a hard surface and sit down on it with your sit bones pressing into the material. Then measure the distance between the centres of the two divots and that'll give you a rough width of saddle to look for.

I've had a Specialized BG saddle for years, it's the comfiest saddle I've used and has been on every MTB I've owned. People seem to rate Ergon saddles as well.
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1051
    Looks like it could do with a set up 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    https://www.rido-cycling.com/

Awkward at first but I'm never going back to normal saddles. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Frankly, the bike looks ridiculous in that photo. Can you retake the pic with the saddle at its normal riding height (assuming you're not 8' tall). Then it will be possible to assess the saddle's angle which does seem a little nose-high.

If you are just returning to cycling you will almost certainly be putting too much weight on your bum when it should be carried by your legs. You probably need to build up those leg muscles.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3000
    A brilliant way to quickly increase your leg strength very fast on your bike, and this is assuming that the photo you posted of your bike is how you actually ride it, is to remove the seat, but leave the seat post in place.  You'll go to sit down once, and then never try to sit down and cycle again.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12340
    I were right about that saddle though. (One for the oldies)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    I don’t bother riding pushbikes now because of my piles. My bmx was alright about 10 or 13 year ago because you rode it standing up mostly .