How did last night's gig go?

What's Hot
CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1359
edited April 7 in Live
Rare Friday / Saturday double for my pub / function band at the weekend.
Friday we played a pub on the coast - dance floor heaving from the get go - very rarely see that with us. Why can't they all be like that.? "Healthy" volume (Hot Rod Deluxe just under halfway on clean / single coils) and some ridiculous tempos but when the audience respond like that everyone gets carried away. Came away buzzing.

Last night was a return to reality - tumbleweed in a 1/5 full pub. We were noticeably tighter and sporadic applause but this was just one of those gigs where you tighten stuff up and keep the machinery moving. 
Gentleman came up during break and we talked guitar mods and vintage guitars for 10 minutes or so.
...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7349
    I usually have my HRD on 3. Does it get much louder at half way?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    Last 2 gigs have been great - dancing from 1st to last song. We just dropped a venue because nobody turned up until 11pm as it was open to 3am. Its a pity as it had a great set up but i don't want to play to 10 people.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3663
    A strange one for us last night.  A very small pub come social club.  We've played there before so we knew just how limited space was (there's just three of us, 2 guitars + vocals, Helix direct to PA).  We didn't bother bringing any lights and we knew that we'd have to shift their crappy little PA cabs to one side and set ours up (so no need to bring stands).

When I got there I discovered that they were also having karaoke (no mention on the booking).  Karaoke 8:30 - 9:30, then our first spot (zero time for change over allowed for).  10:15 they cut us off to restart the karaoke and 'Play Your Cards Right' for an hour, then back on at 11:15 with a cut-off of 12 midnight on the dot.  We went down well but we probably only played for 75 minutes in total.

They are more used to solo acts but we were back by popular demand.  If you're going to have bigger, and more expensive, bands now and then you'd think that they'd bin off the karaoke for the night and get their moneys worth from us.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 976
    @CaseOfAce I was working at the day (night) job so you're still one up on me despite the low turn out.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 867
    Monument in Newbury last night for the rock band - always fun! Small pub, so fitting in and out is a bit like tetris, and singer had a cold, but persevered like a trooper!

Took a 1x12 cab last night rather than a 2x12 and really struggled with like the sound. And required a brief board rewire to lose the delay in the lop when the signal went at the end of a song - looks like either a dodgy lead or more likely the input jack on the DD3 needs a clean.

We are quite selective of pubs we play now - audience reaction is what makes it fun!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10441
    Most of the gigs I do now are ticket gigs at proper venues, so we know how busy it will be before we get there. The last 5 or 6 have all been sold out which is great. 
    Did a Superheroes gig last night at a little venue above a bar in Petersfield / Hampshire and it was £5 on the door. At 8:30 there was only about 5 people in there and I was wondering what would happen but in the next half hour 50 or so people came in so it was all right. First gig I had done with that band since last August so I was a bit rough playing wise. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    Did a solo “unplugged” at the local original music venue last night (Mon) with two other singer/songwriter acts. 35 minutes of band songs arranged for acoustic guitar and voice. Great fun and good promo for the next booking we have there as the full band. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    We've done two 60ths recently where they've booked DJs as well as us. Sometimes I think people like the idea of having a band at their do, but when it comes down to it, they don't. We did ok, but I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth the effort. We're at a pub this week, so hopefully, this will reinvigorate my enthusiasm.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    We've done two 60ths recently where they've booked DJs as well as us. Sometimes I think people like the idea of having a band at their do, but when it comes down to it, they don't. We did ok, but I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth the effort. We're at a pub this week, so hopefully, this will reinvigorate my enthusiasm.
    Pub gig went very well. I dropped a few clangers but had some real highlights too. Difficult load in but the punters really got into it. I think my enthusiasm is coming back.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3037
    Bad.

I was exceptionally tired all day and I knew I was going to struggle. Right from the start I had amp issues and nothing sounded right. I think this threw me off even more and I just kept blanking on songs I know inside out and have played hundreds of times before. I kinda  ‘styled it out’ but it’s still very frustrating when you know you’re not anywhere near your best.

It got better as the night went on and the punters were obviously happy at the end but  can’t help feeling a bit gutted if I’m honest. Just one of those nights that happen occasionally I guess. On to the next one…
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1280
    edited April 14
    Had a good one last night. Bit of an unknown booking where we got booked to play by a lady who came to see us do a micro pub gig last year. Venue was a village hall (a very nicely recently refurbished one as it happens) out in a nice village in the middle of nowhere Nottinghamshire. She specifically asked us to do mostly originals.

They were doing cheese and wine with the £15 tickets and they sold it out. Probably 50 people. They listened and enjoyed it and sang and danced along with the handful of covers we did. Whole thing went well band wise and I got away with only a couple of bum notes all night for a change! 

Brilliant night. Only downside was a) no kebab house near by for the traditional post gig refreshments and b) think I might have got a speeding ticket on the way home through Nottingham
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 365
    edited April 29
    Had two solo gigs playing rock covers with tracks. First was Friday in a pub in the large village where I live. The grumpy landlady was away so it felt more laid back than previous visits. The local lads, some of whom I know quite well, really got into it and I came away feeling pleased with myself. The second on Saturday was in a pub I'd not played before but I know the female manager well and she had bigged me up to the owners. Got there and the place was fairly empty and the landlord seemed a bit off with me. Once I started the place filled up and the local ladies got up for a dance around their handbags. The manageress got up and sang a few, we used to be in a band together. At the end the owners were very complimentary and offered me a spot at their beer festival. All in all a great weekend ..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1359
    Saturday night at a country pub. We were scrunched in the corner at the far end. The usual dire acoustics - low ceiling, wooden floor with my hot rod deluxe set loud(ish) on a chair behind me to compete with bass player who figures pubs = John Entwistle time. Tone of the gods - not exactly - more a case of make the best of what's to hand.

Really missing my chorus pedal (a Boss waza DC-2W - told it's unrepairable after 2 weeks have elapsed from being sent and now have to wait for next shipment to UK to replace it - really Boss.?!?! you haven't got a single unit in the UK to post me !?! ).

Bloke in a salmon pink suit, matching sparkly shoes and hat danced in front us the whole gig. Not hallucinating - this really did happen.

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Played at a cider and sausage festival on Saturday.  It's a fairly regular venue for us (our nearest pub) but several new faces in the crowd.  The set went down a treat and we had a lot of really good feedback.  One guy - who'd been a drummer for about 25 years - actually asked if I'd previously been a pro!  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Not bad thanks. We played at a music/beer festival at 2.30 Saturday afternoon. Sun was shining so lots of people were taking advantage to get some rays…. So only a few hundred in the main marquee… still some decent applause and good feedback after as all songs are originals.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024