Ever re-bought the very first pedals you owned out of nostalgia?

What's Hot
LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1094
Feeling nostalgic and just bought a 2nd hand Metal Zone. Back when I first started on the electric guitar journey my very first pedals were a Metal Zone, Chorus Ensemble and a Danelectro Fab Tone distortion. I don't know what happened to them because this was pre internet so I know I didn't sell them, and I was a kid back then. Strange because now I'm older (and hopefully wiser) and I have a certain distortion tone in my head and I'm fairly certain that Danelectro was "it". 

As for the Metal Zone, i didnt appreciate it's versatility many years ago when I was still into just heavy heavy metal. That EQ section is unique to say the least. Even just looking at a picture of it now makes me think "idiot. why didn't I take better care of that pedal??" Found one relatively cheap on eBay and pulled the trigger. Even if i rarely use it now I'll be comforted by the fact that I've got one in the collection again. Still wish I had my original one though. Cest la vie.

Dont know where these pedals are now and I get slightly peed off imagining them in a landfill somewhere lol

This kind of thing happen to anyone else? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2960
    Still got it and, up until recently, still used it.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 57
    A Boss Be5 was my first ( multi) effect.
    Have kept an eye out for one many times over the last few years ,probably purely out of nostalgia, but still haven't jumped for one as yet
    Did sound great and dead simple
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18815

Dont know where these pedals are now and I get slightly peed off imagining them in a landfill somewhere lol

Don't tell me you have never heard of @HarrySeven  ??
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1506
    Don’t know what’s worse, that my first pedal was a Zoom 505 or the fact that I still have it! 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• FezFez Frets: 526
    Not my very first pedal but I bought a boss ds1 out of nostalgia I would have had one of the black special edition ones but missed out. Managed to get a black sd1 though I never had one of them back in the day.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    I’m not sure I’d ever buy a Boss AW-2 again… I’m also not sure why one was the first pedal I ever bought! :mrgreen: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 663
    I'm not sure what my first pedal was. One was a behringer vintage distortion (BM clone).
    I didn’t like it at first and put it away and when I found it again I realised it was actually really good. 
    I still have the shell as I used it for a DIY circuit I made. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Script logo Phase 90.

Amazingly good-sounding, but I can get close enough with a Boss ME-50.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 189
    I somehow managed to keep my TU-2 for 25 years or so.

My first overdrive was a danelectro daddy o, and yes I bought one a couple of months ago. I actually sold my og Guv’nor since as I prefer the dano, Can’t believe I lucked on that pedal as a 13 year old without knowing what I was doing. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1094
    edited April 11
    Yorkie said:
    Don’t know what’s worse, that my first pedal was a Zoom 505 or the fact that I still have it! 
    My very first multi fx was a Zoom 1010, and I miss that as well. Those were the days when, whenever you switched from one patch to another it wouldn't be seamless and there'd be a half a second of silence before the new patch came on. Fun and games  
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    I've still got the SD-1 and BF-2 I had at 16 (and the Gretsch Beast!), and I've bought a Bandit 65. I used to have some Guyatone Overdrive/Distortion pedal but I don't know what happened to it and have so far been unable to find another one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A Zoom 505? Absolutely not.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    My first pedal (I remember it well) was a boss overdrive. Yellow with 2 knobs. Was okay but not enough gnarly sound for my modest little 10w solid state amp (about the same as the "gain" knob on the amp).

Swapped it + £7, or maybe just £7 for an Ibanez ds9. It was perfect and powered my dreams and my playing for years. Got a Big Muff later - also awesome though saw less use; cause the ds9 did it all, to my cloth ears

I got a ds9 Mod some years back. Sounds the same, has more options, works well enough when I decide to give it a run out. It's no Boss ds2, but for a  Ds1 crossed with a muff, crossed with a tubescreamer,  it's not bad.

Muff wise, Thorpy or EHX Deluxe  sound pretty good. I'll get an op amp or nyc one day to replace what I had.... and give it the odd go for a larf.

You can never swim in the same river.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    Mine was a Boss ME-5.

I did buy another some years later, but ut didn't sound how I remembered (even after getting rid of the previous owner's patches which used the EQ to drive the chorus into clipping), so I sold it on. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    Not a pedal exactly but a big Carlsbro Mantis echo/delay unit, gigged it and when it stopped working I just binned it, think I paid £15 for it in about 93. Silly me they are going for daft money now.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Yorkie said:
    A Zoom 505? Absolutely not.
    You can actually get good sounds out of those if you keep the gain right down - like set it to 1, out of 30! - and don’t overdo the effects.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6079
    DOD Phasor 201. I got the reissue when they first appeared a few years ago. It sounded better than the original but that may have been because the amp was an improvement over the Peavy Backstage 30 I used back then.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    GoFish said:
    My first pedal (I remember it well) was a boss overdrive. Yellow with 2 knobs. Was okay but not enough gnarly sound for my modest little 10w solid state amp (about the same as the "gain" knob on the amp).
    I had the same experience - a DS-1 would have been better for my teenage self, but I found an OD-1 for £22 in a shop in Chester. I grew to like it though and wouldn’t get rid of it now. I swapped a capacitor value a few years ago so that it didn’t cut off as much low end, and A/Bed with an SD-1 the difference is imperceptible.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1094
    GoFish said:
    Boss OD1? Wow. They're highly sought after now and also going for daft money. 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 959
    Roktek Overdrive. Not sure I'd be that tempted.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom