Ever re-bought the very first pedals you owned out of nostalgia?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    snowblind said:
    First pedal I think was a Boss HM-2 which I still have and still use. Recently bought a Behringer HM-300 as a cheaper alternative for my son to use (original HM-2s are bleeding expensive) as I was led to believe it was a direct copy of the Boss.
    Turns out it isn't. Sounds very different to the HM-s and not in a good way.
    Some of the Behringers are direct copies, some aren't. I haven't tried that one, but the HM-2 is a very unusual circuit.

Funny how expensive they are, you could barely give them away thirty years ago... likewise FZ-2s. I sold my FZ-2 when I realised I was gigging with a £150 pedal at the front of the stage, and I could buy six Behringer SF300s (which are identical sounding) for that if it got nicked.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    My first pedal, about 100 years ago, was a Tubescreamer, and a few years ago I bought a Tubescreamer Mini to see if it was as awful as I remembered. Within 30 seconds I realised that it was. F*ck nostalgia.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1094
    goldtop said:
    I've still own the Boss OD-1 and Ibanez CS-9 from the early '80s. Although I lent them to a mate I haven't seen for 25 years.

I'd love to try them again. Those and my 50W non-MV Marshall kept me happy for years.
    You mean a mate who you've recently reconnected with after 25 years, or the last time you saw him was 25 years ago? 
    If it's the latter - have you ever thought about getting those pedals back from him?  Those pedals are vintage!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 254
    That power brick. Really?????
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12383
    This is the first pedal I bought, back in the mid 90s, only pedal I had until a few years ago:

https://i.imgur.com/KzkwBgA.jpg ;

I'm sitting on it until its enough to retire on.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 545
    edited April 12
    I had one of the Stage Tuners from back in the late 80's maybe early 90's. Great device but eventually the plastic became brittle and it disintegrated. So I wouldn't sit on it, the splinters don't bear thinking about. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12906
    My first pedal was a Danelectro T-bone Distortion and it was a piece of shit.

My second pedal was an NYC Big Muff. I still have it and its still awesome. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    goldtop said:
    I've still own the Boss OD-1 and Ibanez CS-9 from the early '80s. Although I lent them to a mate I haven't seen for 25 years.

I'd love to try them again. Those and my 50W non-MV Marshall kept me happy for years.
    The first pedal I bought was the Ibanez CS9. I used it so much in the 80s that I only recently could bring myself to start using chorus again. The CS9 had a brighter sound than the CE-2 (which I should have bought, and now own in the Waza version) courtesy of a very unsubtle noise gate. I eventually gave it away and don’t miss it.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2597
    Dunlop Fuzz Face.  No idea what happened to it.  I thought I loved it for about a week at the end of which time I realised I really didn't.  I've never been tempted to buy another, or indeed any fuzz pedal, since.  The thing that amazes me now is how expensive they are.  It was dirt cheap and you'd think nowadays it's be even easier to knock them out for next to nothing.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SleepyscholarSleepyscholar Frets: 167
    Boss were fancy pedals when I was first messing around with guitar, so I got a cheap plastic (Frontline super-) chorus, a much better Hohner Phase Shifter, and a Tokai TOD-1 overdrive. Lost everything (including guitar and amp) when I came to Japan, and have never seen the first two, but chanced on an old TOD-1 for 980 yen (just over a fiver) in a second-hand shop, and couldn't resist it, despite owning half a dozen overdrives already.

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3027
    My first was a Columbus Distortion pedal.

Despite not being adverse to buying cheap crappy pedals (even when I already own a bunch of much better pedals) I don’t think I’ll bother returning to that one. It wasn’t bad really but there was also nothing particularly noteworthy about it either.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Mine was a Rocktek Chorus, so no.

I don't think I'd pay more than £20 for one now.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3219
    Another Rocktek here, for me it was the Flanger. To be fair I haven’t found a flanger since that has done such a metallic swoop -I quite liked it and it was awesome when paired with a bass. So yeah, I’d be tempted to give another a go for £20-30, but wouldn’t pay the £50-60 that they seem to be on eBay these days. 
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 174
    We had a Mk 1 Guv’nor rattling around the house in my mid-90s teens. The only amp we had back then was pure shit, some kind of brandless solid state combo with a 8” speaker that weighed nothing. The Guv’nor sounded surprisingly credible through that. I think my sister sold it for £15 in the end, minus the battery door. I think I found said door in an odds and ends drawer at my mum’s years later.

That was the only pedal I’d really used until I got bored during lockdown and bought a Rat from the trading forum. Four years and a few hundred quid later I think I’m happy with my board for the moment, but I’d be interested to try a Guv’nor again one day.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    The MkI Guv'nor is a really excellent pedal which sounds good through most amps. It's best as an 'extra channel' for already Marshally-voiced amps on the edge of breakup or lightly overdriven - it will work as a 'Marshall in a box' pedal into clean amps, but the GV-2 is better for that.

The Drivemaster is almost identical, but slightly cheaper if you need one on a budget.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 283
    edited April 14
    My first padal was a Guv'nor (Mk1) as well, after reading the review in Making Music. When I started playing out, I bought another as a spare.

Aaaaaaannnnnddddd..... I still have both of them.

The original one has been rehoused in a Boss enclosure now.

It's still my number 1 OD, and as ICBM alluded to, sounds great with my Bluesbreaker amp.

I rarely sell, and never lose, anything.

Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    I’ve bought about five Boss DS1s over the years and always come to the same conclusion. It’s bloody shite. 
    I’ll probably buy another one soon knowing me.. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    InactiveX said:
    My first padal was a Guv'nor (Mk1) as well, after reading the review in Making Music. When I started playing out, I bought another as a spare.

It's still my number 1 OD, and as ICBM alluded to, sounds great with my Bluesbreaker amp.

@InactiveX ;That's interesting. Is there an advantage to rehousing it? Better switch maybe? Purely aesthetics?
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1094
    InactiveX said:

I never saw that thread but I must say that looks bloody awesome  :)
    That's giving me ideas now.
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 283
    Thanks LionAquaLooper!
    @InactiveX ;That's interesting. Is there an advantage to rehousing it? Better switch maybe? Purely aesthetics?
    Well, after being kicked around London for much of the early '90s, I'd had to patch it up a number of times, and I decided to redo it. The Guv's enclosure is pretty strong, but the board-mounted pots, switch and sockets are not.

Also, I'm pretty much sold on Boss pedals for everything except drive. I use one of the old Boss BCB-6 carrying cases/pedalboards (the ones without cut-out sponge), so to have my fave OD pedal in Boss format suits me great, in the carrying case alongside my CE-3, DM-2w, etc.

Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters