Ever re-bought the very first pedals you owned out of nostalgia?

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    ICBM said:
    You can actually get good sounds out of those if you keep the gain right down - like set it to 1, out of 30! - and don’t overdo the effects.
    So... Best in bypass then? ;) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1506
    ICBM said:
    You can actually get good sounds out of those if you keep the gain right down - like set it to 1, out of 30! - and don’t overdo the effects.
    It is a decades-old present from my mum, I only turn it on from time to time to check that it still works. I loved it at the time, but I certainly have better equipment now!
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 545
    Ibanez ST9 Super Tube Screamer with the Mid control. No, I've not tried to buy one again, I'm not made of money. Boss SD1 does the job for me these days.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 335
    A Marshall Guvnor here - with the reissues I might actually be able to afford to buy a replacement...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27078
    My first were a Morley Wah and Guvnor-2. I have no intention of owning either again. 

But my next was a Rat and I still have that one :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    edited April 12
    DOD FX56 American Metal.

It was pretty terrible, despite the name it was a fuzz pedal at best and I have no desire to own one again.
    Oddly, I don't have the pedal any more but I do have the box. 

"He has the box"...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    My first pedal was a Danelectro FAB Metal that someone gave me because they couldn't be bothered to sell it. I misplaced it years ago, and despite the somewhat unpleasant sound, I kind of missed it, so I ended up buying a FAB Overdrive for a tenner delivered last year. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    One of my first pedals was a Morley Bad Horsie wah, that I had on loan from a friend for maybe a year. I absolutely loved it, and hated giving it back.

Years later I found a bad horsie for sale second hand so got that. Because it has an optical mechanism rather than mechanical, I incorrectly assumed that it would last very well and be as good as the new pedal was back in the day. But it really was not. The sweep was not what it should have been and the magic was certainly not there. 
    Excellent theme for a thread, by the way. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Dug out a DS-1 a year ago. Not great by itself but kinda cool stacked into an ODR-1.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5156
    edited April 12
    I can't remember which came first, but I remember a Crybaby wah (gave it to a friend when I bought a Vox Clyde McCoy that I liked better and still have), a DOD FX74B Flanger that I'd love to have back and a plastic distortion pedal that said "Ken Multi" on the box and was called a Metal Master or something. That thing was not good. I gave it to my girlfriend's brother- he was in to Nine Inch Nails and liked really ugly distortion sounds.

Ultra Metal. Apparently it's a Boss HM-2 clone. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    DiscoStu said:
    DOD FX56 American Metal.

It was pretty terrible, despite the name it was a fuzz pedal at best and I have no desire to own one again.
    It's a Boss HM-2 copy, but without the separate bass and treble controls so you can't get the best (or arguably only good) sound out of it... which is bass and treble both up full - an odd design choice.

english_bob said:

Ken Multi

Ultra Metal. Apparently it's a Boss HM-2 clone. 
    Which interestingly does have the proper two tone controls. I don't know how accurate the circuit is but no reason to think it's different.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24337
    Mine was a Boss CE-2 that I got new in 1989 and I still have it.
  • louis_LLMlouis_LLM Frets: 126
    Yep - and it was absolutely dogshit and a nightmare to shift on again! 
    I still remember my mum panicking upon finding that the ‘advanced signal processor’ was, in fact, a pedal. 

“What is it doing on the floor?!? Don’t treat it like that, it was very expensive!!” 

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    I recently bought a reissue, well an update of a Big Muff v4 OP-AMP. 

It's great but I'll probably never use it live. 

I wish I'd kept the original I bought new. 
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1466
    I bought a Waza Dimension C having regretted selling my original one as a teenager.

Other than that, the only thing that comes to mind is I sometimes find myself hankering after an early 80s Guyatone Flanger I had when I was very young, that in my head was the best Flanger available to all humankind.

I'll probably buy one sometime. Bet it's pish.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 254
    edited April 12
    First pedal I think was a Boss HM-2 which I still have and still use. Recently bought a Behringer HM-300 as a cheaper alternative for my son to use (original HM-2s are bleeding expensive) as I was led to believe it was a direct copy of the Boss.
    Turns out it isn't. Sounds very different to the HM-s and not in a good way.

I tell a lie. The first effect I bought was a Eurotec Black Box reverb which I rather stupidly gave away with an amp I sold. Proper 12" springs in a box to go with the old Carlsbro Scorpion. As I recall it wasn't expensive to buy but like all old gear it is now worth money to some people.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    I've still own the Boss OD-1 and Ibanez CS-9 from the early '80s. Although I lent them to a mate I haven't seen for 25 years.

I'd love to try them again. Those and my 50W non-MV Marshall kept me happy for years.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    edited April 12
    My first pedal is the Scarab Deluxe.  I think.....

I basically took up guitar, found TGP, posted a thread...and somehow that is the conclusion.  I forgot how I or the people in that thread ended up with that decision.....

I still have it.

Just looked it up, it is more expensive than I thought! $230...back in 2014.  What on earth was I thinking.  5 years before that I could have got a real Klon for that much.