If you were to buy one Marshall amp.. what would it be.. and why?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6137
edited April 19 in Amps
In all my years playing, I've never owned a Marshall amp. I've played a couple of combos back in the late 80s and was impressed but just never got round to purchasing one.
I'm an old school rock player with perhaps an added touch of (poor) fusion licks.
I've owned Sound City, Pignose, Traynor, Peterson, Fender, Peavey, Yamaha, Blackheart and Bugera amps but no Marshalls so am interested in what you folks favourites are.
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 189
    edited April 18
    JMP 50 master volume for me, probably. I’m also definitely partial to the earlier 70s hand-wired non-master volume. Those amps, when boosted, have the perfect amount of gain & the loveliest tone.

At the same time, my 2205 is probably the perfect amp for how I play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28374
    edited April 19
    One of the mini stacks, because I'd look like a giant next to it. For clarity, the MG15 one with (I think) two 1x8 cabs, not the absolutely teeny-tiny one. 

It'd probably need new innards and speakers to sound right though. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4539
    This one:

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    edited April 18
    I've had my 1979 JMP50 stack since I bought it in 1982. I still use it and record with it. It's magnificent. And indestructible. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    rze99 said:
    As per my first comment: probably the perfect amp  <3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4539
    edited April 19
    So far, late 70s JMPs are ahead 3-1. 

(Apologies to @Sporky - corrected!)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    Depends how much inconvenience you are happy with, really. 

If it’s no issue, then you get either a Superlead, a JMP or a JCM 800 with a nice 4x12 with some Greenbacks in it, or something. 

That’s basically the sound and the crème de la crème. 

If size, logistics, weight, volume, etc are considerations, I would HIGHLY recommend the SV20H and a nice cab with some nice speakers or nice speaker, singular. 65’s, Creambacks, Greenbacks etc. 

The SV20H is seriously good. It’s all the good stuff about a Plexi with barely any inconvenience and it also won’t obliterate everyone standing within a 50ft radius of it. (Although it is legitimately loud in its own right.) 

it’s non-master Marshall loud. I.e. seems like twice what it’s rated at. 

Lots of used options. JCM 800 combos usually go for sensible money and the 4210 sounds loads better than people give it credit for, and as far as I’m aware, pre the JCM 900 Marshall didn’t really make a lot of rubbish so there’s quite a lot of choice and configurations. Anniversary and Jubilee amps can be had for less than you’d think too. 

I’ve been on a bit of a love in with Marshall again recently. Their back catalogue is laced with absolutely killer amplifiers. 

Give me a good Marshall over pretty much any boutique nonsense any day. Better sounds and just faaaaarrr cooler. 

edited April 19
    Thread needs more photos of unnecessary excess.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    1976 2203. Best-sounding Marshall I’ve ever played.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    ICBM said:
    1976 2203. Best-sounding Marshall I’ve ever played.
    I think I used one of these from this era in a rehearsal room about 20 years ago. The sound of it still haunts me. It was one of the fattest sounding amps I’ve ever played through to this day. The drive sound was immense. It sounded so balanced. Not too bright. Loads of bottom. 
    It was also through a vintage Marshall 4x12, granted. 

Even so. Epic thing. 
  • theterracattheterracat Frets: 15
    I'm very curious to own/play for extended time a 70s JMP... But I get on fabulously with my 1987x plexi reissue. I love the stupidly loud, Hendrixy clean it does at about ... 0.5 to 1.0 of loudness.  :o But seriously it's just tone city for me, especially if I run it thru my fryette to turn up the knobs much higher...
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    Ate you playing in a band or at home? Non MV Marshalls are fiersomely loud and pretty much unsuitable for home use. They do sound great when cranked though.

If for home use I'd look at the SC20, 2525, or DSL20 or 40.

I have a DSL20 and never fet the channel volume past 9 o'clock at home, even on the 10 watt mode. Swapped out the stock speaker for a Greenback. Sounds great. 2 channels and switchable fx loop, which is great because you can put e.g. reverb/ delay and eq in the loop and switch them all on at once with a single button push.

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    edited April 19

Very rare and increasing in price all the time. I could buy a banged up JCM800, change a few caps and put 6550s in it but still. I've played Tim Mills' (BKP) amp, boosted with a Keeley SD-1 and it was perfect. 

I also love the JVM410
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    I've owned just one - a JCM800 2203 reissue. It was indeed lovely and more flexible than you might think. Carting around a half stack is a young man's game however!! Was shockingly loud too. 

If I were you, I'd be checking out the 20 watt range, try a few and see what you like. They have the 'major' classics - ST is JTM45 flavour, SV is plexi, SC is JCM and there's also a silver jubilee one. 

Having gigged a combo based on the JTM45 circuit, that's the one I'd have as it would have the best clean platform. But that's not what a log of people buy Marshall amps!
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    edited April 19
    JTM45 or a Bluesbreaker. They converted me from a life of Fender > Marshall. If asked I used to say that I hated Marshall amps… now my JTM45 is my go to and the one I’ll never be without. No frills, just sounds glorious. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 855
    1959slp cranked through a decent attenuator for me. The modern reissues sound awesome.
       And as mentioned, the newer Sv20’s are almost as good and a lot more convenient 
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited April 19
    JMP 2204 is my favourite classic Marshall. It's just the sound of rock and metal and can do anything. The SC20H gets surprisingly close to the sound and feel of these too.

I'm also a big fan of the Studio Jubilee which I've had for about 6 years now. It does that modded Marshall sound perfectly to my ears, and the EQ actually works unlike a lot of Marshalls!

Also if you can find one, the Astoria Custom is awesome.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3678
    edited April 19
    My late 70’s JMP 50w is great,.. but it’s still a bit limited, no fx loop, etc.

A DSL40CR is best bang for buck Marshall today, esp, with a 6 button footswitch.  4 channels, lead boost, reverb and fx loop.  The crunch channel is truly excellent and covers a lot of the JMP territory.  I gig one very regularly and don’t use any dirt pedals or boosts.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28374
    So far, late 70s JMPs are ahead 3-0.  :)
    It was 3-1.

If I was buying a Marshall it'd genuinely be a mini stack. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."