If you were to buy one Marshall amp.. what would it be.. and why?

What's Hot

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4539
    My late 70’s JMP 50w is great,.. but it’s still a bit limited, no fx loop, etc.

Mine has a Metro zero-loss FX loop fitted.  Works brilliantly.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 855
    TTBZ said:
    JMP 2204 is my favourite classic Marshall. It's just the sound of rock and metal and can do anything. The SC20H gets surprisingly close to the sound and feel of these too.

I'm also a big fan of the Studio Jubilee which I've had for about 6 years now. It does that modded Marshall sound perfectly to my ears, and the EQ actually works unlike a lot of Marshalls!

Also if you can find one, the Astoria Custom is awesome.
    I had the Astoria Custom, yeah lovely amp, and even better when I put an early '80's Celestion G12-65 in it.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I adore JTM45’s, maybe the best clean tone in any amp IMHO. 

Then there’s the “Marshall” rock sound and JMP 50 waters are perfect. They record incredibly well too. Just the right EQ to get through a band mix
  • ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 427
    This one:

What iJonathangus said:
    This one:

What amp is that mate? Looks like a JMP model from the new studio series - looked online and couldn’t find them. 

Or is it a vintage JMP retrofitted in a SV20H headshell?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 855
    These are good...
    https://youtu.be/oiCmStb9TE8?si=CytJqOlYZNpoykvH

...and I happen to have one for sale :3
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    What amp is that mate? Looks like a JMP model from the new studio series - looked online and couldn’t find them. 

It's a '79 2104 (i.e. the combo) chassis in a home-made (not by me) headshell.  It's how it was when I bought it.

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164

It's a '79 2104 (i.e. the combo) chassis in a home-made (not by me) headshell.  It's how it was when I bought it.
    what's the cab btw? - it's very pretty. 
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1463
    I'd love to try a JTM45, 1987x, and the Silver Jubilee. I have a Marshall clone, but can't justify a massive Marshall in my house.

what's the cab btw? - it's very pretty. 
    Nothing special - a stock Marshall SV112.  Very slight Stonehenge effect, but not really noticeable.  I think the V-Type works really well with the amp.

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1506
    I already have a Marshall – a DSL40C. If I really had to have another Marshall, it'd be either a 40CR or a 402CR, as a backup amp. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• PPPMATPPPMAT Frets: 17
    The JCM800 twin channel amps 2205/2210 are great and the precursor to the silver jubilee which is also great. If you want something more modern then prob a DSL would cover the Marshall bases. The NMV amps are superb but will need an attenuator to make them usable at sane volumes.

There are obvs lots of other options for Marshall tones these days in the boutique arena but it does get a bit spendy.

Matt
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2399
    edited April 19
    As someone with an SV20H and an SC20H - is there anything that will do Plexi and JCM 800 sounds convincingly in one box, or are the circuits too different? I found the Victory Sheriff too dark; the plexi side was more JTM than 1959, and it didn't have the cut of a JCM. How do the JVMs fare on that front?
    Tim
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3260
    I got the SV20H as a backup head for gigs...liked it that much that it became #1 and I got the SC20H as a backup ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Nerine said:

If size, logistics, weight, volume, etc are considerations, I would HIGHLY recommend the SV20H and a nice cab with some nice speakers or nice speaker, singular. 65’s, Creambacks, Greenbacks etc. 

The SV20H is seriously good. It’s all the good stuff about a Plexi with barely any inconvenience and it also won’t obliterate everyone standing within a 50ft radius of it. (Although it is legitimately loud in its own right.) 

it’s non-master Marshall loud. I.e. seems like twice what it’s rated at.
    I have to say I didn’t quite find that. The guitarist in my band had one for a bit, and although it did sound great with a guitar (I tried it with a Les Paul) straight in or with an overdrive pedal, it wasn’t *quite* loud enough at band volume, and didn’t take distortion or fuzz pedals well - it got a bit over-saturated and had a ‘one note’ overtone which dominated the sound. It wasn’t quite as loud as the Laney LA30BL, which also compressed less (and is obviously rated 50% higher). This was going through a 2x12” with G12H-30s too, so not a cabinet issue. Very close, but not quite there for me - I think I prefer the 2061 despite its much more basic controls.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    edited April 19
    Being your ex-neighbour and having heard you play @equalsql you're hiding your light under a bushell a bit there.. I've often described living next door to you as being as disheartening as living next door to Larry Carlton

I've played a few JMPs and 800s but never owned either. I'd be looking at an early 70s metal panel JMP or an MV JMP from the mid-late 70s.

At the moment I have a mkiii JCM900 2502 with V30s which can cover most things - I think they sound a lot better without the G12T-75s. The 18 watters are worth a look if you're not playing out (mine needed micing up in a 5 piece band).
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    A 1978 2204 is the nicest I've played. (@icbm- not dissimilar to your 2203).

I do love an original Silver Jube too.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24349
    With the caveat that I don't want to carry a full sized head anymore, let alone a 4x12...

I'd get either the mini Plexi or 800 and the vertical 2x12 to go with it. I'd also get a Fryette PS-2A so I could run them properly in the house. Even in 5W mode they are both mentally loud in the average lounge, but they do need turning up to sound good.

My favourite amp is a good JCM800 type, but there is also something magical about a plexi at 10. 

• NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    ICBM said:
    Nerine said:

If size, logistics, weight, volume, etc are considerations, I would HIGHLY recommend the SV20H and a nice cab with some nice speakers or nice speaker, singular. 65’s, Creambacks, Greenbacks etc. 

The SV20H is seriously good. It’s all the good stuff about a Plexi with barely any inconvenience and it also won’t obliterate everyone standing within a 50ft radius of it. (Although it is legitimately loud in its own right.) 

it’s non-master Marshall loud. I.e. seems like twice what it’s rated at.
    I have to say I didn’t quite find that. The guitarist in my band had one for a bit, and although it did sound great with a guitar (I tried it with a Les Paul) straight in or with an overdrive pedal, it wasn’t *quite* loud enough at band volume, and didn’t take distortion or fuzz pedals well - it got a bit over-saturated and had a ‘one note’ overtone which dominated the sound. It wasn’t quite as loud as the Laney LA30BL, which also compressed less (and is obviously rated 50% higher). This was going through a 2x12” with G12H-30s too, so not a cabinet issue. Very close, but not quite there for me - I think I prefer the 2061 despite its much more basic controls.
    I do run mine through a Fryette Powerstation to be fair. :D 
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    Echoing the positive comments about JTM45s, this is my favourite Marshall, a 1962 Bluesbreaker - basically a 2x12 JTM45 with added tremelo.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PPPMATPPPMAT Frets: 17
    timmypix said:
    As someone with an SV20H and an SC20H - is there anything that will do Plexi and JCM 800 sounds convincingly in one box, or are the circuits too different? I found the Victory Sheriff too dark; the plexi side was more JTM than 1959, and it didn't have the cut of a JCM. How do the JVMs fare on that front?
    I have heard this said about the old Victory Sheriff if that's the one you are talking about? If so, I would say the new one (25w or super sheriff) gets very close to this and the 800 tones in particular are extremely good. I tested one against all the boutique stuff and actual Marshalls and it came out on top for me.