If you were to buy one Marshall amp.. what would it be.. and why?

What's Hot

Comments

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    @Nerine ive taken your advice and got an SV20H and I’ve a 1x12 Creamback 65 cab waiting 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2190
    shaunm said:
    @Nerine ive taken your advice and got an SV20H and I’ve a 1x12 Creamback 65 cab waiting 
    It’s a really solid amp mate. I don’t think you can go wrong with one. I still use an attenuator with mine because it’s loud. 

Let me know how it works out with the Creamback. I’m currently looking at alternatives to my current 1x12, so would be keen to hear your thoughts. 

What cab do you have? 
    I have two cabs to try it out with. One is a Hoffnine 1x12 with a 65 Creamback. The other is a Matamp 1x12 with a 75 Creamback. 

I have had a lot of Marshall’s but never a 1959 yet that is a tone I enjoy. The 1959 as we know is way too much on every level. So I’m hoping to get some where near here. 

Have you watched this video? 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6162
    So what are people's opinions on the DSL20HR?
    GAK are knocking them out at £329 at the mo. Seems an affordable way of getting that genuine Marshall vibe.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited April 28
    equalsql said:
    So what are people's opinions on the DSL20HR?
    GAK are knocking them out at £329 at the mo. Seems an affordable way of getting that genuine Marshall vibe.
    They're great, the drive channel has way too much gain but if you keep it lowish (under 10/11 o'clock) through a decent cab it gets a nice modded/modern Marshall tone. You'd be disappointed if you want the crunch option on the clean channel as it doesn't exist, but the Ultra channel is really good imo. If I didn't get my Jubilee for a good price I was going to get the DSL and would have been happy with it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4233
    It's odd to me that they don't make the DSL40CR as a head - the crunch mode on channel 1 is superb, my favourite sound in the amplifier. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6162
    randella said:
    It's odd to me that they don't make the DSL40CR as a head - the crunch mode on channel 1 is superb, my favourite sound in the amplifier. 
    Yep, I was frustrated to see there wasn't a head version of the combo as I'd read somewhere that is was a better option, even for home use.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    shaunm said:
    I have two cabs to try it out with. One is a Hoffnine 1x12 with a 65 Creamback. The other is a Matamp 1x12 with a 75 Creamback. 

I have had a lot of Marshall’s but never a 1959 yet that is a tone I enjoy. The 1959 as we know is way too much on every level. So I’m hoping to get some where near here. 

Have you watched this video? 

Yeah, I’ve seen the vid. To be fair, most videos comparing the SV20 to its bigger brothers do seem to generally agree that it compares favourably. 
    It definitely has all the classic Plexi tones in it. 

I thought these would be perhaps be a bit gimmicky and a cynical move by Marshall, but they’re not. It’s genuinely a legit amp. 
    shaunm said:
    Cool! Are you digging it? Sounds like you’ve got it opened up a bit or are you attenuating in any way? 
    I really like it. That clip is both channels on 6. I did do a clip where I used just the treble channel and put it up full. It sounds great. Really good. It’s a loud amp but it’s not unusable loud like the 1987x or 1959. I’d say this is pretty similar to the JTM45 volume wise. 

I do t use an attenuator. I feel a little funny about them. I’m using the 65 Creamback so it’s less efficient than the 75 or G12H30 I have so that’s the attenuation I use.

This amp sounds excellent, I’m really happy with it. 

This is it up full and it’s glorious (to my ears). Not much hiss either. 

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 641

This one - I'm picking it up on Saturday; it's going to be a long week!
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7200
    Im picking up a new (to me) Marshall on Friday too, and im similarly excited / impatient
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 802
    edited April 30
    equalsql said:
    randella said:
    Yep, I was frustrated to see there wasn't a head version of the combo as I'd read somewhere that is was a better option, even for home use.
    The additional, switchable inline master volumes are genius. You can get great neighbour-friendly sounds even in 40 watt mode. The crunch and OD1 channels with a mid/treble boost in front are glorious, I found that full range boosts work less well as it gets a bit mushy. 

A head version of this and a Zilla Fatbaby with an H75 Creamback in it would be epic. 

As it stands the combo with its medium magnet stock speaker would still benefit from side handles IMO - as would anything above 45lbs. 
    And if they’re going to the trouble of including a digital reverb, why on earth did they only allow it to do a delicate frosting? The effect itself doesn’t sound bad, there’s just hardly any of it. I would understand if they were fighting against the limitations of a tiny spring tank but it’s a chip, it can sound like anything. The JVM has a very similar reverb but decent depth on tap - maybe they were worried about undercutting the JVM?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24611
    I just found this - demo of a 1987x - using an AB box for different tones.

Although his 'clean' is nothing of the sort!

Does sound great. I have such bad GAS for a plexi style at the moment.

That’s interesting, I didn’t know you could use an ABY for that purpose 
  • PPPMATPPPMAT Frets: 24

Listening to that - it is ‘the’ sound. Sometimes I prefer the 68 plexi tones but whenever I hear a 1987x I think nah - this is wicked. I guess I prefer the early 70s metal panel stuff.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2364
    PPPMAT said:

Listening to that - it is ‘the’ sound. Sometimes I prefer the 68 plexi tones but whenever I hear a 1987x I think nah - this is wicked. I guess I prefer the early 70s metal panel stuff.
    I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but I thought the 1987X was just the 50 watt plexi? Is it a slightly different era (slightly more modern?) too?
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7200
    Dave_Mc said:
    PPPMAT said:

I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but I thought the 1987X was just the 50 watt plexi? Is it a slightly different era (slightly more modern?) too?
    Just a 50w plexi as far as I understand it too. The plexi, really 
  • PPPMATPPPMAT Frets: 24
    edited May 2
    Dave_Mc said:
    PPPMAT said:

The 1987x reissue  circuit is based on the early 70s metal panel amps rather than the late 60s stuff so it beaks up earlier and is a bit more aggressive. Even though it has a plexiglass panel - a bit confusing really but that’s what it is as far as I’m aware.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom