Funeral Dress Code

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14290
in Off Topic tFB Trader
So are you still a dark/black suit person - Or smart casual

Small Crem do and will be over in 5 mins - No relatives and only a few friends - Is smart casual acceptable these days - Then a wake in the local British Legion - So a simple send off 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1433
    Black jeans. Boots and a white shirt imo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11803
    Smart casual by default unless a specific dress code is requested.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1097
    Suit not necessary IMO.  But still smart shoes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22939
    edited April 19
    I've been in suit and black tie for the three funerals I've been to in relatively recent years - because that's what I thought you were supposed to do - but I'd say the majority of people there were not so formal. 

And these were all for family members, so I was directly involved to some extent.

If attending a friend's funeral, as part of the "congregation", I think smart casual is fine.  Or smart sober casual - nothing too colourful. 
  • If there wasn’t a dress code request eg shorts and Hawaiian shirt, sports team top etc… then it’s trousers, shoes, white shirt and black tie for me. Then I know I’m not going to upset anyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14290
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    I've been in suit and black tie for the three funerals I've been to in relatively recent years - because that's what I thought you were supposed to do - but I'd say the majority of people there were not so formal. 

That sounds like me - Traditionally have always gone suit but recently found I’ve almost been one of the few in a suit - Today’s funeral was a friend who barely ever wore a shirt and tie hence my question about going more smart casual - But agree with @LionAquaLooper that smart shoes are still appropriate 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1348
    I don't even have a black suit in the wardrobe these days so it would have to be a suit jacket black tie and dark jeans.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24355
    Dark suit for me. Always.

Funerals aren't for the dead, they are for the living left behind. It's how I choose to show respect. 
    I have no problem standing next to someone wearing a Hawaiian shirt though. That's up to them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Navy or dark grey suit. White shirt. Black or navy tie. Black shoes.

Unless I'm asked to wear something specific.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• SporkySporky Frets: 28373

I have no problem standing next to someone wearing a Hawaiian shirt though. 
    It was all I had clean.

I've only been to three. I've gone dark suit, white or grey shirt, black tie. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    Dark suit, black tie, polished black shoes.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Suit. Black tie. Always.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18821
    edited April 19
    I once attended a ceremony where the dress code was 'as bright & loud as possible'. Hawaiian shirt's were duly donned.
    The last funeral I was at, was my friends & I was a pall bearer so showing respect was a given, dark suit, white shirt, black tie & polished shoes.
    I'd say there are no fixed rules these days, it depends on your personal relationship with the dead person & more importantly having a thought for how living 
    relatives might feel.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28373
    My mums was "however you feel comfortable". So a fair few moderately colourful dresses, but for a funeral I'm as comfortable as I can be in a suit. Dinosaur onesie felt a bit wrong for that, though I'm sure she'd have found it funny. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Smart casual is perfectly acceptable if they haven't specified a dress code. As is formal attire.

I'd be happy with smart casual at my own funeral.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I have one suit that’s dark grey - it gets rolled out for funerals, weddings, interviews etc with only a change of tie to mark the actual occasion. Black for a funeral, more colourful for a wedding and something conservative for an interview. I’m not ‘Colin’ with a comedy tie! 

Play it safe if unsure - if you then attend anywhere in a suit and you feel overdressed or uncomfortable, just whip the tie and jacket off for a more casual look. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    Just wear dark colours. Anyone who expects anything more than this is living on another planet.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

I was talking about this only yesterday - if it was down to me I'd be perfectly happy to be cremated and have all my ashes binned without all the funeral nonsense, but I recognise that it's not all about me ;) so people can do what they want, I won't mind.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22939
    Paul_C said:
    I was talking about this only yesterday - if it was down to me I'd be perfectly happy to be cremated and have all my ashes binned without all the funeral nonsense, but I recognise that it's not all about me ;) so people can do what they want, I won't mind.

• TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    Loved the speech by the daughter of the deceased a few weeks ago (my brother-in-law, actually).

He didn't want a funeral. So they had one anyway - well, a service and a celebration - and his daughter spoke movingly and beautifully. She brought the house down saying "Dad didn't want a ceremony, but we are having one anyway and because he is dead he can't do anything about it!" The old boy, had he lived to see it, would have loved it. :)

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom